Rokstaff Takes on MTNTOUGH Backcountry Fitness Program

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 4 Day 2:

Tough one AMRAP 45 min.

Wanted to get the Intermediate 8 rounds and ended up almost finishing 10.

The remaining core workout toasted me.

Burpees suck.

148 max heart rate. Probably could bump up the intensity next time.

I generally don’t like AMRAPs, but this one felt pretty good.

W2D3 done. I like the ibex workout, it’s definitely a good one for mountain fitness with all the lunges and step ups. I went up in dumbbell weight about midway through the workout from 15s to 20s. I didn’t notice much difference in the lunges, but the step ups were definitely more difficult. I used a higher box this week than last week too so that contributed as well as the increased weight.

Today’s time for the ibex workout:
55b4ebc172923f7d284350c3f9bc0326.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
After a little time off my back was finally feeling good today. I could tell I already lost some of the gains but I hit W3 D2 as hard as I could until I almost puked. I expect I'll see good gains this week as I push through being a sissy.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 4 Day 3:

Ladder Supersets squats/pull downs and farmer carry/weighted lunges.

Added weight from last week. The last few reps were tough.

Feeling good and recovery is getting quicker.

W2 D4 - crushed my time from last week. I went in to it today feeling pretty wiped from the ibex yesterday but I told myself I wasn’t going to cut it short at all and at least was going to make it through, even if it took me longer than last week. It took me 31:04 last week and 22:42 this week. I did 2 rounds again instead of 3, but I was pushing myself pretty hard.

We’re capable of so much more than we think we are. Barriers that may initially seem purely physical often end up being more mental than not; it’s a matter of finding a way to push past the exhaustion.

Today’s time:
5e96c17dcdb6cb5fa215a5bb8d7ff3dc.png

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 4 Day 4:

Asymmetrical Shoulder presses.

Got the burn going for sure today.

10 minutes on the 2000m row. Should be able to cut some time there next time.

Today’s workout didn’t take much time.

I liked it a lot.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m liking this program, at first I was expecting an insanity or p90x style of workout where you sit in front of the tv and follow what homeslice is doing as he shows you proper form. This is not the style. Everyday there is a short video on what the excersizes are and that’s it. I take a screenshot on my phone so I can reference back to the list of excersizes/weights/reps involved and knock it out. At first I didn’t like this delivery system but now I can now listen to my jams and get in MY mode.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 5 Day 1:

Ladders deadlift/bench and supersets leg curls, bent over rows again.

Bumped up weights from last week again.

Feeling good.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 5 Day 2:

Circuits of 1/2 mile run, burpees, jump rope, and curls. Three rounds followed by another 1/2 mile run and 1000 m row.

Time: 39:38
Max HR: 174

I feel like running on a track could save quite a bit of time. I might try to round up some gear to take to the track next time.

Finished with three rounds of 4 core exercises with 5 burpees between each exercise.

Total of 120 burpees this morning.

I’m a little behind on posting, but I completed w2d5 last Friday, made it through w3d1 yesterday (I did 135/155/175/205 for deadlifts and 45/45/50/60 for dumbbell bench press; then 90 on hamstring and 80 on rows), and limped my way through w3d2 today. Today was one of those days I was just happy to finish the whole workout. Those burpees (or “the burps” as my daughter calls them ) were probably the killer for me today, the jump rope felt pretty good. And the core workout was definitely a good one.

Overall I’m really liking how structured these workouts are and that there really are no “easy” days, each day is a challenge in its own right. It’ll definitely get you in good mountain shape and push your limits, mentally and physically, and give you a better mental edge.

Made it through w3d3 this morning. For the squats I did 135/155/175/195 lbs, and for pull downs 60/70/80/85 lbs. The last superset of farmer carries and lunges with weight really got things burning. I did 2 60 lb weights for farmer carry and 1 60 lb for the lunges.

My legs are pretty toasted today.

Loco4dux

WKR
Just finished week 3, absolutely killer program. You guys are posting some solid numbers and times good work.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 5 Day 3:

Topped out at 245 for squats and 160 for pull downs.

70s for farmers and a 40 for lunges.

This workout is challenging but doesn’t take a long time.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 5 Day 4:

Asymmetrical shoulder presses.

2000m row for time: 8:47

3 rounds of core.

Feeling the core right now.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 6 Day 1:

This is the final week of the “Strength Phase.”

Upped all of my deadlifts by 10 lbs. and dumbbells for bench presses 5 lbs.

Same for leg curls and bent over rows.

Trying to hit this week hard in preparation for the next phase.

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry i haven’t posted in a while. I’m really liking the strength phase of this program. I don’t have all of the equipment so improvising on some stuff but not a lot. I’m on w4/d4. It’s a good blend of all strength then a circuit with cardio mixed in. My weight has been flctuating between 162-164 throughout this workout but I feel a lot stronger especially as of late.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 6 Day 2:

AMRAP 45 minutes. Cardio machine, dumbbell thrusters, pull-ups, and burpees.

12 rounds.

Followed by core rounds, which were brutal after all of those burpees in the main workout.

Soaked with sweat this morning...

Last edited: