Rokstaff Takes on MTNTOUGH Backcountry Fitness Program

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 6 Day 3:

Squats/pull downs and
Farmer carry/ weighted lunges again.

Upped the weights again this week, and Im feeling it.

After losing 6 pounds in the introductory phase, I have put them back on in the strength phase.

I feel great overall, and much stronger, but I am looking forward to some weight loss in the next phase.

I’ve gotten a little off track due to a multi day scouting trip in the high country, but I figure that’s an acceptable deviation right? I finished w3d4 (shoulder workout) on Tuesday, and I’ve taken the last couple days off due to a combination of factors, but mostly because I’m leaving for Alaska for a couple weeks next Tuesday and wanted to let my body rest up a bit. I’ve been pushing pretty hard the last few months, even before starting mtntough.

My plan is to finish w3d5 Monday, then start w4 after I get back. I think my nearly 3 weeks of mtntough will pay big dividends in AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
W4/d5 all cardio 55 minutes so I went on a mtb ride. Only crashed once;)
a9743149916d6c54386e075db0fbe799.png

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 6 Day 4:

Went up 5 lbs on Assym presses.

Got the 2000m row in 8:29.

Feeling just the right amount of sore this week.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 7!

Over halfway there. This is the “rest” week with only two workouts on the schedule.

I have a little scouting to do also, but shouldn’t be too rough.

Can’t wait for the next phase.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 5/day1 in the books. More deadlifts and dumbbell bench presses.
Next up, my favorite type of workout -circuit

.5 mile run
30 burpees
Jump rope
30 Barbell curls
.5 mile
20 burpees
Jump rope
20 barbell curls
.5 mile run
10 burpees
Jump rope
10 curls
.5 mile run
Followed by a killer circuit of abs.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve gotten a little off track due to a multi day scouting trip in the high country, but I figure that’s an acceptable deviation right? I finished w3d4 (shoulder workout) on Tuesday, and I’ve taken the last couple days off due to a combination of factors, but mostly because I’m leaving for Alaska for a couple weeks next Tuesday and wanted to let my body rest up a bit. I’ve been pushing pretty hard the last few months, even before starting mtntough.

My plan is to finish w3d5 Monday, then start w4 after I get back. I think my nearly 3 weeks of mtntough will pay big dividends in AK.

So do you think his help to prepare for Alaska any better than the work out you were doing?

So do you think his help to prepare for Alaska any better than the work out you were doing?

I really do think mtntough is better than what I’d been doing. The previous workouts I’d been doing were focusing a lot more on weights and not including much of any cardio, so I was modifying things on the fly myself to include more cardio. But I also realized that due to lack of good structure and knowing exactly what was in store every day like you do with mtntough, I felt I was lacking direction and purpose in what I was doing.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Finished the first of two workouts for “rest” week 7.

Somehow it was the “22s” again! This is the hardest workout of the program, IMO.

It was a good progress marker though, as I dropped two minutes off my time and didn’t have to modify the workout from the prescribed.

Still, it is tough for sure.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 8 Day 1:

The video intro said the workout would be "hard" from here on out.

Were the previous workouts "easy"!?

A little scary, but I went on to do the "11's" Which were supersets of deadlifts and pullups followed by an intense 4 round, 4 excercise circuit involving DB step-ups, DB clean-squats, bent over rows, and burpees.

It was "hard," but I loved it, just like the video said I would...

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Week 8 Day 1:

The video intro said the workout would be "hard" from here on out.

Were the previous workouts "easy"!?

A little scary, but I went on to do the "11's" Which were supersets of deadlifts and pullups followed by an intense 4 round, 4 excercise circuit involving DB step-ups, DB clean-squats, bent over rows, and burpees.

It was "hard," but I loved it, just like the video said I would...

Awesome!!
I’ve been sick with the flu but back on the program tomorrow

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 8 Day 2:

Today’s workout is affectionately called “The Beast.”

Rounds of row machine, DB thrusters, pull-ups, toes to bar, burpees, and weighted lunges.

My time was 37:14, and there is a lot of room to improve.

Soaked with sweat.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
W5/d2.

.5 mile run
30 burpees
100 jumpropes
30 barbell curls
.5mile run
20 burpees
100 jumpropes
20 barbell curls
.5 mile run
10 burpees
100 jumpropes
.5 mile run
1000 meter row

2 rounds
30 suitcases
5 burpees
38 Russian twists
5 burpees
48 penguins
5 burpees
58 cross leg mountain climbers

GREAT workout and makes you feel depleted after but recoverable to complete your day.

c867e006fdc205f766b1485fd8614edb.png

My wife and I were taking and we wish they would show you each exercise and how to correctly do them. It seems after we watch the mtn tough video, we turn to YouTube for atleast one exercise.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 8 Day 3:

The 11s again, but this time supersetting squats and weighted pushups.

Follow that with 5 rounds of stationary bike, knees to elbows chin-ups, box jumps, jump rope, and Ball Plank Roll-outs.

Soaked again!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Week 8 Day 4:

“The Goat”

Lots of stationary bike and box jumps.

Then farmer carries, and finally some core work.

Tough week, and definitely feeling some soreness.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I were taking and we wish they would show you each exercise and how to correctly do them. It seems after we watch the mtn tough video, we turn to YouTube for atleast one exercise.

I agree Travis.

Even with exercises you know, it is good to see the Mtn Tough version of the exercise, and how Mtn Tough wants you to count reps, etc.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree Travis.

Even with exercises you know, it is good to see the Mtn Tough version of the exercise, and how Mtn Tough wants you to count reps, etc.

Good point,
There are a few exercises that you see guys doing in the background that is different than how you have done them. Also, the same guy doin burpees in two different videos does a push-up in one video, and in the next he doesn’t.

KHNC

WKR
On week 5 now. Just discovered roksliders are doing this as well. Started 7 weeks ago, but with train to hunt comp and alpha bowhunting, i am a little behind. I train 4 days per week typically and pick up where i left off when the new week starts. I am coming off of 2 years of being on the SOFLETE stamina team, along with 4 months of coaching by Evolution Athletics. So, im not starting from scratch,but the workouts are still a challenge. I am a big fan so far, and i think it will be just the type of training i need leading into elk season. Glad to see everyone on here doing the training. I will definitely start to contribute as well!

KHNC

WKR
Doing a mountain ruck today for my 55 mins of cardio. I hate treadmills. Wearing 45lb ruck.