HIIT vs Aerobic type workouts

I've been elk hunting 3 times. I've always just ran 2 to 3 times per week to get in shape. And I've always kicked myself for not doing more. So this time I decided I'm done with being that out of shape. I did all of P90x3 last year and I went through most of the P90x2 program earlier this year. Now I'm doing the Atomic Athlete u Predator program which is more aerobic based. So my question is has anyone done it both ways before their hunts? Which one is better? I know that anything is better than nothing. I like the predator program, it's just not as intense as the others. Don't get me wrong, it's still tough, and I'm sure it works. Just didn't know what you guys preferred.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
They both work and I think it's best to incorporate both types of training into your program. Really no one size fits all for a a fitness program.

I don't think you can truly train for the mountains unless you live in them and spend a lot of time hiking and running in them.

On an elk hunt, you are up before the sun hiking in steep terrain. 12-15 hours later you come back into camp. You do this for several days in a row. There is just no way to simulate that in a daily life schedule unless the mountains are out your back door.

amassi

WKR
On your previous hunts, what did you feel was most deficient?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
R
"On your previous hunts, what did you feel was most deficient?"

My lungs for sure. We didn't do a lot of hiking per say. We did a lot of whitetail hunting. Hike to a ridge and sit and wait all day. I don't plan on doing that anymore. From what I read on here and other forums, you have to go find them.

P Carter

WKR
As someone who has run some tough mountain ultra marathons, and the associated 60ish running miles per week on hilly trails, I feel most in shape for hunting with a mix of running, pack hiking, and strength training, not pure running. Ideally, Probably 20-25 miles running (trails/hills), 1 weighted hike, and minor strength on running days (hips/calves/stretch) and other strength 2 days/week (sandbag lunges/squats/deadlifts & planks, push-ups, pull-ups). Based on my experiment of 1, running as the base (3 days maybe) with a hiit workout 2-3 days should be great mix of underlying cardiovascular fitness with development also of peak lung capacity/recovery. Running on trails or hills if at all possible.

OP
R
As someone who has run some tough mountain ultra marathons, and the associated 60ish running miles per week on hilly trails, I feel most in shape for hunting with a mix of running, pack hiking, and strength training, not pure running. Ideally, Probably 20-25 miles running (trails/hills), 1 weighted hike, and minor strength on running days (hips/calves/stretch) and other strength 2 days/week (sandbag lunges/squats/deadlifts & planks, push-ups, pull-ups). Based on my experiment of 1, running as the base (3 days maybe) with a hiit workout 2-3 days should be great mix of underlying cardiovascular fitness with development also of peak lung capacity/recovery. Running on trails or hills if at all possible.
Sounds similar to the predator workout.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve always had the best luck with doing a few loaded pack hikes a week, a longer one on the weekend and a shorter heavier one mid week.

In addition to that, some sort of strength work, dosent seem to matter too much weather I get on a kettlebell, sandbag or barbell program as long as there’s some
Sort of strength work.

After that, a few shorter harder conditioning workouts like Crossrope, kettlebells or sprints for ~ 30mins.

I’ve found for me I can get enough “endurance cardio” from the pack hikes.

I also think that the hiit type stuff helps for both high and low intensity cardio while the easy cardio only helps with easy cardio if that makes sense.

I guess what I mean is that sprinting helps me when the intensity goes up (hauling a pack up steep terrain) as well as the easier parts (just cruising along in gentle terrain) while low intensity stuff like jogging dosent seem to help at all during the times when I need to expend more effort.

Also, I don’t really have the time anymore to train like 20-30 hours a week like I used to so my weekday workouts need to stay between 30-75 minutes, I can get a longer hike on the weekends of 2-6 hours. I’d much rather do a crossrope session and some pull-ups and be done than going jogging for 30-45 minutes.

OP
R
I’d much rather do a crossrope session and some pull-ups and be done than going jogging for 30-45 minutes.

I hear that. I hate running. Time seems to stop when I'm running. I'll have to look up crossrope. I've never heard of it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I hear that. I hate running. Time seems to stop when I'm running. I'll have to look up crossrope. I've never heard of it.

I don’t really hate running or anything, I just think there’s more bang for the buck in other workouts given the same time. 30 minutes on the crossrope is tough, 30 minutes of jogging...nah. If I’m running these days, it’s jsit hill sprints in a park or a trail, no long slow distance running.

Running really only helps me run better.

Last edited:

K_pem

WKR
One thing to consider is hiking under a load, it takes muscular strength and endurance that you dont build just running alone. You could run your face off and not be ready for the forces that are applied coming downhill with 80+ pounds on your back. The physical preparedness aside you have to consider the risk for injury in those circumstances too. If your body isnt adapted to that kind of work you will be vulnerable and predisposed to injury. Therefore in my opinion a balance and well rounded spread of your time is most beneficial.

I do push/pull strength workouts 3-4x a week (fast paced supersets and circuit style), heavy hike intervals (80-120 EXTRA pack pounds) 1-2x a week, longer or faster cardiovascular geared hikes or stair master 1-2x a week (45-60 min). On top of that i just get used to wearing my pack under a load. If im gonna walk the dog around the block, throw my pack on with some weight in it; mow the lawn, toss on 80pounds and make it into a training session. The more adapted you are the more comfortable youll feel in the field.

I was into fitness big time long before i was serious about elk hunting, competed in bodybuilding, power lifting and short aerobic competitions, but ill tell you now nothing fully prepares you mentally and physically by itself. You gotta be well rounded, i learned that the hard way!

I would consider what kind of time you have to dedicate to it weekly, and what resources you have at your disposal. PM me if you need any help, Im not claiming to be an expert but ive worked in the fitness industry for 7+ years and have obtained multiple degrees in the field. Ive had the opportunity to work with/for some pretty smart folks!

amassi

WKR
I think a lot of guys get smoked hiking because they have no idea how to set a pace or they're trying to keep up with their good buddy John Rambo, just adjusting to their pack and boots correctly makes a world of difference

OP
R
I think a lot of guys get smoked hiking because they have no idea how to set a pace or they're trying to keep up with their good buddy John Rambo, just adjusting to their pack and boots correctly makes a world of difference

That's a good point. When I was doing p90x I always felt the same when I was done, beat. Even though you do more reps or more weigh, you still feel the same. So that's something to keep in mind, set a pace you can keep up with.

epicaaron

Lil-Rokslider
From a physiological perspective backcountry mountain hunting is primarily an endurance sport with sport-specific strength requirements; in this way it is similar to mountaineering, alpine climbing, ski mountaineering, Nordic racing, skimo racing, etc. You certainly don't need to be a good endurance athlete to be a great hunter, but, if you want to see a big step up in your mountain fitness I would strongly recommend following "best practices" for training for endurance activities with sport-specific strength requirements (I wish I knew how to produce a big step up in hunting ability, but alas...).

HIIT and high intensity functional strength training has been growing in popularity for a while, and recently, HIIT has gotten a lot of play in the media based on research that suggests that HIIT can help highly untrained individuals loose body fat. But, as a general rule of thumb, a lot of HIIT interval training is not the optimal way to improve endurance performance. Mark Twight's Twight's "No Free Lunch" essay provides a pretty good discussion/illustration of this topic: No Free Lunch - Mark F. Twight

I have engaged in structured endurance training for a long time for mountain sports, and I heartily recommend "Training for the new alpinism" as a great resource for high quality information on training for mountain endurance activities with a significant strength requirement. Similarly, if you are looking for training plans/coaching, I would recommend checking out Uphill Athlete — Train smarter. Climb better. (I have absolutely no affiliation, but can attest to their results).

All of this advice assumes you have the time to engage in some amount of consistent structured endurance training (which includes strength training, some interval training, and a lot of long and slow); if not then other approaches (HIIT, CrossFit, pure strength training, etc.) may be your best bet for addressing fitness deficiencies.