Swaro SLC..

TwoTikkas

WKR
Well,I drew a long awaited Colorado deer license this year. Up till now,I've used middle of the road binos. Not much need for high end glass here in the east,and my elk hunting hasn't proven to be much h different.

I mentioned that I should get some better glass for this Muley hunt,and my friend offered his. "Come get my stuff". "If you like it,then you can save up for some quality glass of your own". Now my buddy has been known to "Buy once,cry once". So I go out and get the tour of his new farm. Relocated back east from Wyoming. He moved out there a dozen or so years ago to work in the oil and gas fields. After the tour,he handed me the optics,and I put them in the truck.

After getting back home I pulled the binos out of the harness. Swarovski SLC 10X42. These are the first Swaros I've had the pleasure of handling. All I can say is WOW! I've been missing out! Un fricking believable. Oh I've read all the posts and reviews. Everyone knows good glass is an heirloom. Well worth the money. But until you get your mitts around them,it's all just talk.

The spotter was no less impressive. Swarovski 20X60X80 HD straight. With window mount and Manfrotto tripod. Again I recall all the reviews,posts,and recommendations. I can't say enough good about my friend. Picking apart the shadows and sage is going to be SO much easier.

The moral of all this story is this. DONT WAIT TO GET YOURSELF GOOD GLASS! Any young folks that have aspirations of hunting every fall. Especially in the wide open spaces. Work more hours. Get a second summer job. Solicit a wealthy aunt,but get the glass. I read once a long time ago. Get a decent rifle. Get a "good" scope. And get the absolute best binos and spotter money can buy. You can kill an elk or Mulley with about any decent centerfire rifle. IF you can find him. I may have 10 more good years left to hunt big game abroad. Still might drop the coin for my own top shelf binos/spotter. All those years chasing this rifle and that rifle should have been spent acquiring top shelf glass.

WestNE

WKR
I will add one caveat to this, similar to the boots example above.

If you're going to be serious about anything be prepared to spend what it takes to find what's right for you! I have been through numerous binos, like most spending a lot on lower priced examples touted as almost alpha killers. Finally I found a deal on a pair of refurbed SLC's a try and found them finicky on eye placement. I ended up trying Monarch HG's and I'm in love.

I guess the moral of the story is that it will take money and likely lots of it to find what suits you. But, don't make the mistake of shooting right to the top without trying and getting field experience with some models that may not be in the typical who's who of high dollar hunting optics. Another well thought of example was a pair of Weaver Super Slams, incredible glass in a bino that was clearanced out most places due to lack of demand.

Good for you finding what really works, nothing like finding the one. I will say that there is a pride in ownership with owning Swaro that one can't deny, they are truly incredibly made and offer customer service that must be used to be believed!

Nick

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well,I drew a long awaited Colorado deer license this year. Up till now,I've used middle of the road binos. Not much need for high end glass here in the east,and my elk hunting hasn't proven to be much h different.

I mentioned that I should get some better glass for this Muley hunt,and my friend offered his. "Come get my stuff". "If you like it,then you can save up for some quality glass of your own". Now my buddy has been known to "Buy once,cry once". So I go out and get the tour of his new farm. Relocated back east from Wyoming. He moved out there a dozen or so years ago to work in the oil and gas fields. After the tour,he handed me the optics,and I put them in the truck.

After getting back home I pulled the binos out of the harness. Swarovski SLC 10X42. These are the first Swaros I've had the pleasure of handling. All I can say is WOW! I've been missing out! Un fricking believable. Oh I've read all the posts and reviews. Everyone knows good glass is an heirloom. Well worth the money. But until you get your mitts around them,it's all just talk.

The spotter was no less impressive. Swarovski 20X60X80 HD straight. With window mount and Manfrotto tripod. Again I recall all the reviews,posts,and recommendations. I can't say enough good about my friend. Picking apart the shadows and sage is going to be SO much easier.

The moral of all this story is this. DONT WAIT TO GET YOURSELF GOOD GLASS! Any young folks that have aspirations of hunting every fall. Especially in the wide open spaces. Work more hours. Get a second summer job. Solicit a wealthy aunt,but get the glass. I read once a long time ago. Get a decent rifle. Get a "good" scope. And get the absolute best binos and spotter money can buy. You can kill an elk or Mulley with about any decent centerfire rifle. IF you can find him. I may have 10 more good years left to hunt big game abroad. Still might drop the coin for my own top shelf binos/spotter. All those years chasing this rifle and that rifle should have been spent acquiring top shelf glass.

Having great glass is a game changer. It will make hunting a hundred times better.

elkguide

WKR
Glad that you have a good friend.
You're going to find that even back here in the East, good glass works really well too!