Leupold VX5 HD scope opinions

tracker12

WKR
I have a limited draw CO mule deer hunt coming up this fall and am looking at re-scoping my 300. Seriously looking at the Leupold 3X15 VX5 HD. I want something that I can dial in for longer shots but not interested in a reticle with a bunch of graduations. Anyone sporting this scope and have comments.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In the past few months we have sold a bunch of these scopes with very favorable reviews. Give us a call, 516-217-1000, on monday and we can discuss options

marktole

WKR
I have a VX-6 HD, which is the same scope as the VX-5 HD with a few more bells and whistles, like a dial wind turret and 6x mag range vs 5x mag range. I have a 2-12x42 that I put on an AR for varmints and coyote hunting.

I really like the scope. The optical clarity is pretty good from edge to edge in the scope, but I haven't had much of a chance to shoot it in low light conditions. The turrets are nice, I really like the zero stop/lock feature, and they dial and track nicely. Very easy to zero. Magnification ring is smooth and comes with a cool throw lever to make adjustments quicker if you want to put it on. The aluminum scope caps have magnets in them to keep them closed, which is kind of cool, but I feel like they pop open just a little easier than say a Butler Creek scope cap. The scope is pretty lightweight for what is is, that's always a bonus on a hunting rifle.

As far as not wanting a reticle to clutter things up, I have the T-MOA and really like it. Gives me some marks to reference for wind calls, impacts, etc (although the reticle only reads true minutes at 12x because it is a second focal plane scope), but isn't so busy to clutter my sight picture. The illuminated reticle is a cool feature and has a level in it that will flash the reticle if your scope isn't level. I never really use an illuminated reticle though, so doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

All in all, they're good scopes and I really like mine. I would certainly recommend one for a hunting rig and I would buy one again for myself if I needed glass for another rifle.

Hope that helps you out.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
Thanks for the informative post. I have been trying to decide between this scope, the Zeiss V4 and Vortex Viper which are all priced about the same. I have really taken a liken to the Zeiss Conquest line but the Vx5 has my interest. I like the lighted option for my annual pig hunts to GA.

marktole

WKR
I have a Vortex Gen I Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP scope as well, I prefer the Leupold even though it is SFP. I like the turrets better on the Leupy for sure and it’s nearly a pound or something lighter, has a wider FOV, seems brighter to me. Now, all that said I am comparing a 2-12x42 to a 4-16x50, so not exactly fair, but I would probably still choose the Leupy VX-6 HD over the vortex after having owned both.

Also worth mentioning, I have not spent much time with the Gen II Viper scopes to be able to compare the Leupy to that.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 3-15x44 on my 300wsm and really like it so far. I use the windplex reticle.
Glass is clearer than my 12-42 nightforce BR scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
Hoping to get to look at one this week. I need to get busy and get something so I can get some range time in. How easy is it to see the clicks. My eyes are going down hill and need to use reading glasses. Don't want to have to use them in the field.

Can a throw lever be added to this scope?

Last edited:

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping to get to look at one this week. I need to get busy and get something so I can get some range time in. How easy is it to see the clicks. My eyes are going down hill and need to use reading glasses. Don't want to have to use them in the field.

Can a throw lever be added to this scope?

It has a small raised area to move the magnification, but unfortunately no throw lever can be attached.
Really a fan of the windplex so far, dial it and hold the wind. I’m having difficulty getting the aluma flips up here, they seem to be backed up at the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
Yes, you can add a throw lever to the VX5/6 HD, it should come with one in the box.

As far as being able to see the clicks on the turrets, its a MOA scope so there's not quite as many tick marks going on as a mils scope, so it's not bad. The laser etched numbers and 1/4 value clicks in white stand out nicely on the black turrets.

OP
tracker12

tracker12

WKR
cool thanks for the info. On Leupy website it looked the throw lever came with the HD6 but nit HD5.