r

There are recent threads on this. I'm a 10x bino and 65mm spotter guy. At lest as many guys if it more prefer a 15x bino. I like the reach to look 3-4 miles out with the spotter and size up game. I'm not going to bring two binos and a spotter. I don't get much eye strain at all from using a spotter for an hour at a time and I'm using binos in conjunction. Some guys get more strain. The binos are easier to look through. Pros and cons and personal preference.

Don't get crap glass. I personally think the mid range stuff can be quite useable. I don't have the funds for Swaro. Many guys push Swaro like crazy.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you can easily glass with a spotter I'd just do that. I personally can't so 15x are nice when I bring them and I can see more stuff that might be overlooked with 10x (IE I'll see stuff and then explain where it is so someone next to me with 8x or 10x and then they can see it but previously hadn't noticed it). I can see more details with them also but at a mile I'm usually wanting for a spotter to see more detail on a deer for instance. Some hunts don't justify the 15s when weight and also detail review are more important an 8/10x pair of binos and a spotter make more sense. Other hunts carrying 3lb of extra glass to a glassing location (or breaking up 15s and a spotter between a partner) doesn't matter much then its nice to have more options at hand.

The last backpack hunt I went on in Colorado for muleys I carried my 10x32's, 15x56's, and my 20-60x80 spotter. My line of thought is if I can't spot the animal then I can't kill it. So I take what I think will benefit me when I'm hunting. When I'm day hunting I always carry all 3. I ordered up a Swaro ATX/BTX by 95, and I plan on packing it this year in the Colorado high country. I will take my 10x32's but not my 15's. If I spot something with the BTX that I can't identify size etc then I will swap the eye piece to the spotter. Its a lot of weight but if I can't spot it with that setup I doubt I will be able to spot it with anything.

I also cut some weight by not packing a stove and fuel and a few other things most guys pack. So my pack weight is usually close to most hunters, just with bigger optics and cold food.

mcseal2

WKR
I went through my system on your other post about the 50mm scopes. I have a hard time not packing my 15x binos for muleys. I feel that I'm much more efficient at glassing with my 15x Swaros on a tripod. I can't hand hold them well enough to want them as my only binos. My 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B binos are my rangefinder and my chest harness binos, so I end up packing 2 binos and a spotter a lot. My hunting buddy has 8x42 binos and a 80mm Swaro spotter so sometimes I pack both binos and he takes the spotter.

I haven't looked through the Swaro 12x50 binos but I might love them if I did. If one of the big 3 optics companies would come up with my perfect bino it would be:

12x50 with excellent glass
reasonable weight
angle compensating rangefinder
tripod mountable

If they figure that out I'd sell both my binos and jump on it. Until then I'll stick with my system. I would recommend spending as much as you can if you get 15's. I think the Swaros are enough better than the others to justify their cost. I looked at Vortex Kaibabs, Leica Duovids, and Minox 15x58 binos before buying mine. I hadn't heard of Maven at the time, not sure if they were on the market yet or not.

I haven't looked through the Swaro 12x50 binos but I might love them if I did. If one of the big 3 optics companies would come up with my perfect bino it would be:

12x50 with excellent glass
reasonable weight
angle compensating rangefinder
tripod mountable.

^^^thatd be the ticket right there. Only way to make the EL 12s better would be make them in a rf bino. I’d be all over that

To the op, if you’re going to get the 15s yiu need to spend some good cash and get some good ones. The cheaper 15s are not as easy to look through. I’d go swaro, Leica, meopta, Zeiss, docter in that order.

I still prefer to have a spotter even with 15s to help judge deer.

I’m the opposite of the previous posts. I hate spotters, but I love my 15’s. I carried a spotter on one hunt and fought with it the whole time to get a decent picture. My 15’s are quick and easy to use. Good luck with your decision.

MtnMuley

WKR
15s are a great piece gear. They are far superior to 10s in many places. Just my thoughts.....