Inexpensive Tripod

sndmn11

WKR
The heaviest pair of binoculars I have are Maven B2s, no spotter yet or in the near future.

I am trying to sort though tripods for glassing here in Colorado, and am getting the paralysis by analysis overwhelmed feeling. I am not hip to different terminology of what head does what, or why one would want a certain feature on the tripod, etc.

I am hoping to spend less than $200, and maybe stay around 4lbs, but am not sure if that is even possible. I need to get one for the wife as well. I think it would be nice to be able to stand (I am 6') as well as sit.

Can someone throw some suggestions my way on what models might fit the bill? Maybe even an explanation of why your suggestion fits, and then I can apply those concepts in expanding that search. Thanks in advance.

For example, something like this Manfrotto MT290DUA3US 290 Dual Aluminum Tripod with 494 Mini B&H seems feasible, but I don't know if I am missing a glaring issue that is not apparent to me since this would be my first tripod setup.

I was very much in the same boat as you the last few weeks.

I just purchased a Promaster xc525c from Joel at Cameraland Saturday. I got a smokin' deal that he had going. It's a $300 tripod but I got it for far less than that. Check out Steve Speck's review on YouTube.

I also got a Promaster XC525C from Joel, but chose to replace the head with an Outdoorsmans pistol grip. The XC525C is hard to beat if you get it through Cameraland. They got me a deal I couldn't pass on for such a high quality tripod.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks guys, did you get demo units?

I also got a Promaster XC525C from Joel, but chose to replace the head with an Outdoorsmans pistol grip. The XC525C is hard to beat if you get it through Cameraland. They got me a deal I couldn't pass on for such a high quality tripod.

May I ask what the reasoning was for changing the head?

Thanks guys, did you get demo units?

I did not get a demo unit.

May I ask what the reasoning was for changing the head?

The head that comes with the Promaster is a decent ballhead and I've heard good things about it. But I tried out all the Outdoorsmans heads at their shop in Arizona and their pistol grip is pretty incredible for glassing with binos. Not cheap, though. $200 for the head and another $100 for the panning attachment.

ljalberta

WKR
I use a Slik Sprint Pro II. I replaced the head with a Benro S2 Panhead. It's a great, low cost unit.

As always, we are here to answer any questions.. The Promaster is a great option. It comes with a 1 year no fault warranty that we extend to lifetime for forum members
Give me a call

Theres a Manfrotto 128RC head in the classifieds for a good deal right now, which would get you a good start!

Sorry I can't help you on the tripod - I have one that works decent, but have never tried some of the more expensive better ones, so I guess I'm still in the "ignorance is bliss" category!

JP100

WKR
Get a Slik, I have the Sprint pro II and have used alot of other tripods of clients, honestly for the weight vs cost the Slik holds it own, the little ball head is marginal, ive used it for years. this year was gifted a Benro head and thats made it alot better.

You wont get a better tripod for the money than a Slik, and they are tough as hell

MtnMuley

WKR
$200 is a very reasonable budget to get a damn fine tripod and head. I would shop for used and go with a Benro S2 head. I have a bunch of heads from the Benro to Gitzo ball heads, to Outdoorsmans, to several Manfrottos and Bogens and winner of "best bang for the buck" is the Benro hands down. As far as legs go, the Slik or Promaster are great choices and relatively cheap.

IMO this tripod/head is a sleeper in the lightweight market for the price... and a good sale here:
Vanguard VEO 235AP Aluminum Tripod with PH-25 2-Way VEO 235AP

The head is pretty good as well - I love the folding handle. I also have a P111 but prefer this head... may end up upgrading the head to an outdoorsman... but for an aluminum, solid tripod, been very happy with this.

Just under 3.3 lbs. together

tYSEO4oh.jpg

93gTi6qh.jpg