Pick my Next Binos

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is hunting with me this year so she's going to be using my Vortex Razor HD 10x42's. These have served me well for the lat 4 years. I figured I'll keep my HD's for backups or let her use them. I'm going to take the plunge and get some high end glass. I live in Colorado and hunt elk, deer, bear etc. Archery and Rifle. I may be moving to Virginia this time next year. I'll still hunt out west but I'll be whitetail hunting a lot also.

I do want my binos to work with the Outdoorman Bino Stud. I love that system. I was going to buy the Leica Geovid HD-B because they're on sale for $1500. They won't work with the Outdoorman stud so they're out. I'm leaning towards a 10x50 or 12x50 but think 12x could be to much for the east coast. For some reason those Swaro EL 12x50's seem to be calling my name. I primarily glass from a tripod. I have a hard enough time holding my 10x real steady.

I get a great deal on Vortex but always know there's better glass out there. I think I'd rather splurge on binos and just get a decent spotter as I use my binos constantly. I've never used the rangefinder binos but I'm open to them as well. I know Zeiss has their new RF binos out.

Help me spend my money. What would you buy if you were in the market. Thanks guys.

murf45

WKR
I just picked up the Swarovski slc’s. For the money they were the best bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If you want the Geovids, I’d get them. That Leica adapter plate to run it on the tripod is not as bad as it looks. It’s pretty handy.

I like a separate rangefinder. If I was a guide I’d have those Geovids.

Best thing to do is line up the Binos you want at the store and look thru them OUTSIDE at dusk. Different binoculars will look different to each individual. You are not going to go wrong with a top end Zeiss/Leica/Swarovski and your eyes will be a much better guide. All you will get from us picking is what looks best to our eyes...

I bet you Doug at Cameraland would send you a couple pair to compare if you are serious.

Don’t discount 10x for deer hunting out east. I’ve spent a lifetime in Michigan and have never felt overpowered when using 10s rather than 7 or 8x.

Trial153

WKR
My 12x ELs are the best gamefinding glass I have ever been behind. While I love them they aren’t a do all glass for me either. The 8x32 ELs and my 10x SLCs get a lot of use as well. I like the outdoors men’s system as well. The ELs you will have to send it for a stud install however the SLCs will screw on.
Like it was stated above you can not go wrong with any of the big three. I have owned glass from all three and they are excellent. The options we have are unreal

Moneyball

WKR
All the high end stuff is great. You will hear what is the “best” and usually the person telling you what is the “best” is whatever they happen to have (no offense to anyone who has posted that way). Try as many as you can, if you have buddies with some you are interested in, try theirs. There arent any bad options at the price range you are looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
It there anything besides ELs?
Buy them from outdoormans and the include the stud.
Not really imho..

I'm not a fan of rangefinding glass, they're not as good optically as top the els, ultravids, etc. Plus electronics break and there isn't one currently imho that has as good of ballistic software as applied ballistics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
So is the glass in the El's better than the glass in the Range Finder version? The Swaro EL 10x50 seems like it would be a really versatile piece of glass for just about everything. Perhaps those for my bino harness and a set of 15x SLC's in my pack? I really would like a solid range finder. I'm running a handheld Leupold Full Draw model and it's only good to about 500yds. I need a better RF as well.

Not really imho..

I'm not a fan of rangefinding glass, they're not as good optically as top the els, ultravids, etc. Plus electronics break and there isn't one currently imho that has as good of ballistic software as applied ballistics.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I know if I get the EL's from Outdoorsman they'll install the stud however I'm not sure if they have the best price. I'm sure they're competitive though.

My 12x ELs are the best gamefinding glass I have ever been behind. While I love them they aren’t a do all glass for me either. The 8x32 ELs and my 10x SLCs get a lot of use as well. I like the outdoors men’s system as well. The ELs you will have to send it for a stud install however the SLCs will screw on.
Like it was stated above you can not go wrong with any of the big three. I have owned glass from all three and they are excellent. The options we have are unreal

Shrek

WKR
Good western binoculars are not going to be great for the close ranges you are going to hunt in the east. I’m a Swarovski fan personally and although I liked Zeiss glass my experience with their warranty service and the fact I had to use it repeatedly made me never want anything Ziess again. Good alpha binoculars will last a lifetime but electronics not so much. I personally keep my rangefinder and binoculars separate. New and more capable rangefinders are being introduced every week it seems. Your shiny new combo rangefinder binoculars will be obsolete in a year.
I’ve got 8.5x42 EL’s and sometimes wish they were 10’s but then when my lungs are burning and I’m shaking the 8.5’s are too much. If I had it to do over again I’d probably go 10’s.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are selling me on separate rangefinders and binos. Would you go with 42's or 50's in a 10x.

Good western binoculars are not going to be great for the close ranges you are going to hunt in the east. I’m a Swarovski fan personally and although I liked Zeiss glass my experience with their warranty service and the fact I had to use it repeatedly made me never want anything Ziess again. Good alpha binoculars will last a lifetime but electronics not so much. I personally keep my rangefinder and binoculars separate. New and more capable rangefinders are being introduced every week it seems. Your shiny new combo rangefinder binoculars will be obsolete in a year.
I’ve got 8.5x42 EL’s and sometimes wish they were 10’s but then when my lungs are burning and I’m shaking the 8.5’s are too much. If I had it to do over again I’d probably go 10’s.

elkguide

WKR
42's.

The 50's are definitely fantastic but they also come with a price.... size and weight.

Look at the Sig 2200 RF.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don’t discount the swarovski slc. You aren’t limited to dealer because it comes with a 1/4-20 stud

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys think 10x42 or 10x50's?

Last question. I have the Razor HD's 10x42. I can get a pair of 10x50's for under 1K. Swaro's are looking like $2800....I know they're not triple the glass...my question is if the Swaro's are 100%...what percentage are you giving up by going with the Razor's.....

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like I should be happy with the Razors but I think I'll always regret not getting the best I can....