How much better are Swaro El's over Razors?

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
If Swaro El's are rated at a 100 for argument sake...what would a set of Razor's be rated as.

Swaro 10x42, 10x50 vs. Razor 10x42,10x50

Thanks

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's not a fair comparison. Swarovski is a top quality precision optic with the best of the best quality control throughout all production. It has earned it's reputation 10 times over

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
It's not a fair comparison. Swarovski is a top quality precision optic with the best of the best quality control throughout all production. It has earned it's reputation 10 times over

I realize it's a subjective question. Maybe it can't be answered. I'm just curious. Are Razor's 95%, 90%, 80% as good?

codym

WKR
I don't think your going to get an answer that will be applicable. Everyone has different opinions on these things. I have friends that claim the razors are just as good as the swaro's, I have friends that claim the swaro's blow the razors out of the water and I have heard opinion's that span that entire spectrum. I think it would be impossible to quantify the difference in any statistical figure with any accuracy. I wonder how much the difference in people's vision comes into play vise the difference or discernible difference in glass quality. The only way your going to come up with an answer is to look through them both and decide for yourself, in the end that's all that really matters any way right?

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Razors quality control is all over the place ever since they made the switch to China. Gr8ful Doug is right, swarovski you are buying the best and they really aren’t in the same category even though some people want them to be.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Recently had a chance to view them side by side...As Travis said, not even in same category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
Two personal experiences where guys with Razors and thought they were the bomb until I handed them my Swaro’s and they both just couldn’t believe how much they’d been missing. One was the friend who who’s story I just related in your pick thread and the other is a well known member here who I loaned my 85mm ATX to to compare to his 85mm Razor spotter. He was looking through his Razor at last light and there were no elk on the mountain he was looking at. He switched to my ATX and discovered that the mountain was covered in elk but his Razor couldn’t see them with the Razor. His comment was that he’d always thought the last five minutes of light was overrated until then. I’ve since switched to a 95 and since he hasn’t been able to afford an ATX yet he’s borrowing mine for a hunt this fall where a good spotter is worth it’s weight in gold. That’s two opinions of Razor owners not mine who’s invested in Swaro’s already.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has already been said, they don’t compare. Swarovski is the top dog. There is no comparable optic, only those that are less expensive and people who have those try and convince themselves they are real comparable, but they aren’t.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Look at the list prices. Look at the street prices. If Vortex could sell Razors at an EL price they would; no company feels sorry for you and is going to take less profit...you get what you pay for.

LaHunter

WKR
I had a gen 1 65mm Razor HD spotter and hunted for a week in WY with a buddy that had a Swaro 65 mm HD spotter. We compared side by side several times over the week. If the Swaro is 100/100, then the Razor HD was probably about a 70-75/100 I would guess overall. I sold my Razor and bought a Swaro spotter after that hunt

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I had a gen 1 65mm Razor HD spotter and hunted for a week in WY with a buddy that had a Swaro 65 mm HD spotter. We compared side by side several times over the week. If the Swaro is 100/100, then the Razor HD was probably about a 70-75/100 I would guess overall. I sold my Razor and bought a Swaro spotter after that hunt

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I think I'm just a high end glass guy.

elkguide

WKR
When I started guiding and began spending 8 - 10 hours a day behind a pair of bino's, I was one of the "what's the big difference" crowd. I can see everything that I need to without spending stupid money. It was the constant headaches that pushed me to Swaro's and then the elk population really began to swell!!!!!

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another question....10x42 vs. 12x50. There's both sets for sale in the classifieds.

Here's another question....10x42 vs. 12x50. There's both sets for sale in the classifieds.

Depends on what you want them for. For western hunting and use with a tripod often, 12x50s are better in my opinion. Many prefer the 10x42s for handheld use due to less image shake.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use my 12’s by hand every week and don’t get much shake as long as I don’t go multiple hours. If I do, I put them on a tripod.

Steven C

FNG
I’m the same as Doug. I also pinch them against the bill of my ball cap if I’m winded or shaking too much. I love my 12’s. On a tripod they are just awesome.

JP100

WKR
As above they are a different category. My guide had a 85mm razor for one season, sold it for a 65mm Swaro, the 65mm Swaro was better.
I use razors daily through the season, and every-time i get to use Swaros or Leicas I am disappointed in my razors haha.

2five7

WKR
Buy the Swaros, in 10 years they will still be in demand, and hold their value for decades.