Swaro El vs SLC?

Yes it's the question again... I have looked and looked but want some fresh ideas. I have been saving my cabelas points just for a new set of swaros and am close. Are the ELs that much better? I will be headed to cableas soon to look at both but wanted some opinions. Thanks!!

Going to be personal preference on whether you like a flat field with sharp edges in the EL or a more 3 dimensional field but with softer edges like the slc. I don’t see the rolling ball effect so I like the ELs. The clarity at the edges is what I love most about the ELs, it really stands out on a tripod and I find a lot of deer out on the perimeter of my view. But mostly I like the EL cuz it comes in 12x.

Whisky

WKR
Assume you're going with 10x42, in that case, I would go with the SLC. Glass wise I feel you are not gaining much at all with the EL's. They are also smaller, lighter and I like the ergonomics of them better. I have a pair that I was going to sell when I got my 12x50 ELs but I can't bring my self to get rid of them.... That said, my 12x50 ELs are the binos I carry in the field 90% of the time, because I also prefer 12x.

I have both, SLC 8’s and EL 10’s...I like both. For me the SLc’s balance better on a tripod than the EL’s, but the EL’s have great ergonomics and are a touch sharper to my eye. You won’t be disappointed with either in my opinion.

WRO

WKR
Assume you're going with 10x42, in that case, I would go with the SLC. Glass wise I feel you are not gaining much at all with the EL's. They are also smaller, lighter and I like the ergonomics of them better. I have a pair that I was going to sell when I got my 12x50 ELs but I can't bring my self to get rid of them.... That said, my 12x50 ELs are the binos I carry in the field 90% of the time, because I also prefer 12x.
Get the 12s, you can't do better

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I like 10s. Maybe one day I'll give a set of 12's a serious go, but when I went through this process it was between the SLC and EL 10x42. My personal take was this. The ELs, I could certainly notice the view being sharper on the edges. The glass did have that little extra "wow" factor over the SLCs. However, I much preferred the ergonomics of the SLC, which themselves are an incredible piece of glass. For me the extra cost of the EL was not worth the slight optical improvement, and less preferred ergonomics. I could not be happier with my SLCs and would make the decision to go with them again in a heart beat.

When I am ready to spend another big chunk of change, it will be the El's simply for the 12 reason. Unless soon they release a 12 power in the SLC for a bit less change.
:)

OP
C
Thanks for the info. I looking at the 10's right now. Where I hunt, I just have not needed anything stronger. I will really have to get them side by side and see for sure but any and all info is welcomed.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
In 10x42 the winner for me is the SLC. Just as sharp, no annoying globe effect/rolling ball, better depth of field (less focusing), small and lighter. As mentioned the light pincushion distortion on the edge of the FOV creates a more 3D view than the abnormal flat FOV of the EL. I do agree the sharp edges of the EL are beneficial on a tripod but the SLC is supreme for handheld panning.

I skip past the 12x and go to a 15x personally if you can afford two pairs. Otherwise the 12x has it merits.

I would like to try the 10x50 EL however, I hear it has less globe effect to its view than the 10x42.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Great blog. From someone that owns 10x42slcs, 12x ELs and 8x32 ELs the results don’t surprise me at all. When asked I have often said that other then ergonomics I don’t see any difference in the two models.

OP
C
I just read the blog. Thanks for the info. That's the stuff I'm looking for.

Does Swarovski "undoubtedly" make the best hunting binoculars? I was under the impression it was debatable. Apart from that, fantastic review; very informative. I've always had a great experience dealing with SandS and Exo.

I'm afraid once I get the SLC 10s, my Kaibab 20s will be too blurry for my high fluting eyes