Optic to compliment my Swaro EL 10x42's

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys thank you for helping me find a pair and purchase a pair of Swaro EL 10x42's. I saved a lot buying used so I think I'm going to get a set of optics to compliment them. SLC 15x56 or perhaps a spotter? Maybe the Swaro EL 12x50? What do you use i conjunction with your 10x42's or similar?

With 10’s and a spotter you’ll be covered. 15’s would be a good though if you don’t like a spotter, but to me the spotter has way more versatility...

With 10’s you don’t need 12’s, I would save those for a down the road purchase if you’ve got money burning a hole in your pocket.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 10x42 SLC’s, I use them off of a tripod. Spotting game with them so far has been pretty great but I’m not glassing desert style terrain.

I chose to upgrade my spotter this year since I seem to be able to work it well with these 2 optics, haven’t found a ‘need’ for 15’s as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I really wanted the 12's but I saved 1k and I think the 10's are a better choice for the east coast as well. If I can find a deal on 12's i may pick them up as well. I don't know how often I'd really use a spotter. I think 10's, 15's and a spotter would give me a lot of options depending on the hunt.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
For what you’re doing it makes sense! Remember that having glass is awesome, but it all adds up in weight. Put those 10’s on a good tripod and I think you’ll be happy with what they can find you.
6cb7614fac1f3ea5d667663b6e362475.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm super excited about these EL's. I like the piece of mind not wondering if there's something else out there. If I just had better glass maybe I could see in that shadow etc.... I may try to get a spotter. I shoot a lot also so it could be useful.

Steven C

FNG
It depends on the way you hunt and type of terrain you hunt. I tried the 15’s and for me they are a tripod only piece. I will always have a spotting scope. If you have trouble looking through a scope then the 15’s are great. I was happy with 10’s and a spotter. I am excited to run the 12’s and a new ATX 85mm.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
I followed the last post and read a ton of great comments so I know there will be a bunch more on here to help you out but I can share the piece of information I learned recently. I was in a similar boat in that I upgraded from Vortex Kaibab 15s to Swaro EL 12s as my primary tripod glass. What I immediately noticed upon setting up my ELs was even with the slight reduction in magnification (15 to 12) the QUALITY of the picture I was viewing through my glass was so greatly improved that it completely changed my glassing experience. Not just the "wow these are so great" experience, but rather the way I was able to better dissect brush, shadow, and generally the way I could now SEE things. Contrast, clarity, depth - all these things came together in a way I simply hadn't seen before. It was explained to me in these same forums but until I saw it for myself I wasn't really able to comprehend what they were saying and I'm sure it will be similar to what you'll experience. My point in saying that is I recommend spending some really good time doing some quality, disciplined glassing with your 10x42s and once you've done that take a fresh look at what optic you think will best compliment what you have. That way you'll get a solid grasp on what you have and you will yourself be able to best answer the issue of adding complimentary optics. Good luck and have fun with the process!

Steven C

FNG
I agree with Desert Dan. You might try to find a store that has all of the options and get a feel for what you’re thinking. The 10’s on a tripod might be all you need. It will save you a chunk of change not having all 3. But who am I to say anything, I have more money in hunting gear than I care to count or to tell normal people. It’s kind of a sad addiction,but fun.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I vote for a spotter before additional binoculars if you are interested in trophy quality whatsoever.

JP100

WKR
Ive never really seen the point in 2 sets of Binos
depends on what and where your hunting but a spotting scope is the only thing else you need.

Can see a long ways with 10xs, but if you want/need to know inches/points a spotter is a must

Trial153

WKR
I been thinking of selling my ATS and going to the 55mm kowa to save weight.
I can see having 12el and the kowa on tge tripod and 8xl els when i make a stalk.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why kind of hunting? If you hunt backpack style solo I would say 15s if you have a partner, 15s and a spotter:)

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Good spotter would be my vote, problem will be deciding between a 85-95 or a more pack friendly 65mm.

I would recommend two spotters. A 62-65 you can always have in your pack and a 85-95 for everything else.

Last would be the 15x56.

If you are a flat out optics nerd like me you will also end up with a good 8x42 for general use and thick cover hunting.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of guys are singing the praises of the Kowa 55. I still don't know if I want straight or angled. In all honesty I was leaning hard to the Swarovski 65mm. I've also considered just taking the plunge and getting a BTX. They're super pricey but I like the idea of using both eyes. I'm not a huge fan of glassing with a spotter.