Rangefinder help

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve decided it’s about time to upgrade the rangefinder. I’m tired of replacing batteries all the time and not being able to read it in low light. Most of my hunting is in the creek bottoms of Arkansas but I occasionally hunt pine clear cuts here as well. One of my favorite places to hunt last year it was so dark pre sunrise (lots of canopy) I was pre-ranging things in my stand and then I’d hold it up to the sky to see the number.

So I’m thinking a red display may be the answer? Correct me if you think differently? Maybe the Black OLED would just be better? My current setup is a $99 Halo something or another. I’d really like a Leupold 1600 or Sig 2200 but it’s hard to justify that money for what will essentially for me be a 200 yard and in rangefinder. Are those two and the vortex ranger the only red ones for less than 400? Is there that big a difference between those and a vortex? Any others to look at? I know Nikon is making some noise with their vibration reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Sig 2200 is a nice unit. We tested it on a 8 day hunt a week ago and it did very well giving fast readings out past 2000yrds.
Did well in light to moderate fog, while my Vortex 1,000 struggled in light fog and wouldn’t range in moderate fog.
The glass is very clear and seems like a larger viewing picture than my Vortex although I didn’t check the specs on that.
The red display is bright. It should be easy to read in a dark canopy.
The eye relief adjustment is really nice as well.

Have looked at the new Nikon Monarch 3000 and the image stabilization is nice but the one thing that keeps me from buying it is the focus dial. It is extremely stiff and has a very narrow center of focus. Of the two different units I looked at, I couldn’t adjust the focus dial finely enough to get a clear view.

I have the Vortex Ranger 1000 and am not really happy with it. Sometimes it struggles to range out past 400yrds and in low light.
When I buy a new rangefinder it will probably be the Sig 2200 or a Leica.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I guess my question though is there a reason to buy a $450 range finder for my limited use. All I really need is the ability to range to 200 yards (about as far as I can shoot my .308 in my terrain and hit my 4 iron on a par 3 lol), bright display, and angle compensation.

I think the answer to the bright display is red? but to my knowledge all the red displays are at that $4-500 range and 1500-2000 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ebay is having a 15%off everything sale tomorrow 8/8
Get a vortex ranger 1300 they are 299 minus the 15% so about $255.
It does everything u will need for ur use.
The lowest end vortex is black.
The ranger 1300 has a red display.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Ebay is having a 15%off everything sale tomorrow 8/8
Get a vortex ranger 1300 they are 299 minus the 15% so about $255.
It does everything u will need for ur use.
The lowest end vortex is black.
The ranger 1300 has a red display.

thanks for the ebay tip! somehow found two sig kilo 2200s brand new buy it now for $349. after the discount $297. after i bought mine 5 mins later someone got the last one

muddydogs

WKR
If your shooting a 308 at 200 yards or less why even bother with a range finder? Sight the rifle in for an inch or so high at 100 yards and you will be good out to around 300 yards or so. If you run the ballistics on your rifle through a good program you will be able to get the exact numbers. If you don't have one your money may be better spend on a chrony to figure out your ballistics.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
If your shooting a 308 at 200 yards or less why even bother with a range finder? Sight the rifle in for an inch or so high at 100 yards and you will be good out to around 300 yards or so. If you run the ballistics on your rifle through a good program you will be able to get the exact numbers. If you don't have one your money may be better spend on a chrony to figure out your ballistics.

all good points. and probably just didnt consider that point.

i will add that a south arkansas white tail is all of 115-150lbs soaking wet and a 3" bullet drop can matter at that distance.

regardless at least maybe my golf game will appreciate the purchase.

Wapiti1

WKR
Call Doug at CameralandNY and buy what he suggests in your price range. They know their products, and will give you the best deal you will find anywhere.

Jeremy

muddydogs

WKR
all good points. and probably just didnt consider that point.

i will add that a south arkansas white tail is all of 115-150lbs soaking wet and a 3" bullet drop can matter at that distance.

regardless at least maybe my golf game will appreciate the purchase.

Even a small deer has about an 8" vital area so you could be 4" off center and still be fine. Out to around 300 yards with a 308 you could hold dead center and not have to worry about the shot. If you suspect the animal is further then 300 yards hang the cross hair a couple inches high and send it. Run your ballistics and you will have all the numbers you'll need.

If you do get a range finder get a good one that has some distance to it as you'll find you want to range stuff further and further out just to see how far it is. If you ever decide to hunt out West you will be wishing you spent the money on something like the Kilo or Leica. My wife got me the Leica 2000B for Christmas last year, I couldn't believe she dropped the coin on it as I didn't think I needed one that expensive but man it sure beats the heck out of the Vortex and Sig offerings.
The Leica has crystal clear glass unlike its competition with there gray lenses so its easier to use in low light conditions. The readings are quick and it does a fine job of ranging any animal I have pointed it at.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Even a small deer has about an 8" vital area so you could be 4" off center and still be fine. Out to around 300 yards with a 308 you could hold dead center and not have to worry about the shot. If you suspect the animal is further then 300 yards hang the cross hair a couple inches high and send it. Run your ballistics and you will have all the numbers you'll need.

If you do get a range finder get a good one that has some distance to it as you'll find you want to range stuff further and further out just to see how far it is. If you ever decide to hunt out West you will be wishing you spent the money on something like the Kilo or Leica. My wife got me the Leica 2000B for Christmas last year, I couldn't believe she dropped the coin on it as I didn't think I needed one that expensive but man it sure beats the heck out of the Vortex and Sig offerings.
The Leica has crystal clear glass unlike its competition with there gray lenses so its easier to use in low light conditions. The readings are quick and it does a fine job of ranging any animal I have pointed it at.

see 3 posts above where i got the Sig Kilo 2200

i have hunted out west once and plan to do again in 2019. but it'll continue to be archery only. but you are right. its fun to range things just to see how far they are.

i load my own .308 so i do know the ballistics and have a cut sheet taped on where to hold my BDX scope. just this new deer lease i'm in doesnt call for any shots past 200.

now just time to wait till Tuesday to play with the Kilo