angle compensation w/ rangefinders

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious to how accurate the rangefinders are at ranging targets and compensating for uphill and downhill shots? I live in texas where it's extremely flat and don't have anywhere to test this but want to be prepared for colorado.

those with experience, do yall trust them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not very. It will give you an angle but it’s very difficult to give the comp distance to to variables. Arrow weight and speed changes from person to person.

ckleeves

WKR
I trust them. Shot 100’s of arrows at extreme angles practicing and haven’t seen a reason not to trust them. Been off a few inches of point of aim sometimes but nothing that would miss an animal. Shot a few Muley bucks and a mountain goat where I was REAL happy I had one!

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Angle compensation for most range finders is very accurate, the range finder doesn't produce a trajectory drop number for the angled shot, it produces a distance number based on the angle of the shot. You use the compensated distance value to determine your drop value. The compensated number is simple trigonometry based on the length of the legs of a triangle. The distance along the diagonal of a triangle is always the longest leg and it is the same as the line of sight to the target. The true ballistic distance is the opposite leg of the triangle and it will be somewhat shorter than the diagonal leg. The range finder does the simple trig for you and produces the length/distance along the shorter leg of the triangle. The shorter leg's length/distance is used for the distance that the projectile will travel and it's associated drop for that distance is what you compensate for.

A 30 degree angled shot at a target that is 500 yards away will require you to compensate for the drop at a ballistic distance of 433 yards.

Last edited:

tmwtrfwler

Lil-Rokslider
Angle compensation for most range finders is very accurate, the range finder doesn't produce a trajectory drop number for the angled shot, it produces a distance number based on the angle of the shot. You use the compensated distance value to determine your drop value. The compensated number is simple trigonometry based on the length of the legs of a triangle. The distance along the diagonal of a triangle is always the longest leg and it is the same as the line of sight to the target. The true ballistic distance is the opposite leg of the triangle and it will be somewhat shorter than the diagonal leg. The range finder does the simple trig for you and produces the length/distance along the shorter leg of the triangle. The shorter leg's length/distance is used for the distance that the projectile will travel and it's associated drop for that distance is what you compensate for.

A 30 degree angled shot at a target that is 500 yards away will require you to compensate for the drop at a ballistic distance of 433 yards.

This is why I always sucked at math. I follow what you're saying...which is that the units work. It tells you the actual distance the bullet / arrow will travel. Then you have to know your weapon. Makes sense.

I bowhunt the mountains every yr and shoot my bow in my back yard at steep angles and long distances. My Leopold and Leica rangefinders angle correct and give you the yardage to hold...and are accurate to the distances I shoot at. However be aware of your form if shooting a bow, as the steep downhill shots can change your form and resulting point of impact. Good luck!

jeg9792

Lil-Rokslider
It tells you the horizontal distance the bullet/arrow will travel, not the actual distance the bullet would travel. In the example above, the bullet would travel 500 yards up or down hill to the target. Gravity only affects the projectile for the horizontal distance of 433 yards so you hold or dial for a 433 yard shot.