Vortex 12x50

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have reviews on Crossfire 12x50? I have a pair of Diamondback 10x42 and honestly I can't hardly tell the difference from my Crossfire 8x42. I'd consider trading my diamondbacks for 12x50 Crossfires. Would it be worth it or should I just buy a spotting scope and be done with it? (I'm looking for something with more magnification)

That's not much of a magnification jump. Spotting scope is a different use basically--spot from way farther and/or size up game.

While 12's "can" be handheld your 10s are going to be way better for that purpose and 8s better still. Getting a consistent clear image freehand with 12s can be challenging. Can you give us some info on what you're wanting/needing the extra magnification for? Western hunting, Field use in the midwest, neighbor kid's girlfriend, etc? Do you regularly use a tripod? I would never recommend 12s as a one-and-done bino and likely not at that price point but if you are keeping the 8's, 8+12 is a common split for folks who own several binos.

In all honesty if you're thinking of investing your hard earned dollars in changing up your glass, you would very likely see a more significant impact by jumping up a tier or two in glass quality than you would see jumping up in magnification. Hawke Frontier ED, Meopta MeoPro, Maven C1s, Athlon Cronus would be the next logical place to look I would think.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
While 12's "can" be handheld your 10s are going to be way better for that purpose and 8s better still. Getting a consistent clear image freehand with 12s can be challenging. Can you give us some info on what you're wanting/needing the extra magnification for? Western hunting, Field use in the midwest, neighbor kid's girlfriend, etc? Do you regularly use a tripod? I would never recommend 12s as a one-and-done bino and likely not at that price point but if you are keeping the 8's, 8+12 is a common split for folks who own several binos.

In all honesty if you're thinking of investing your hard earned dollars in changing up your glass, you would very likely see a more significant impact by jumping up a tier or two in glass quality than you would see jumping up in magnification. Hawke Frontier ED, Meopta MeoPro, Maven C1s, Athlon Cronus would be the next logical place to look I would think.

Yeah guess I should've been more specific.

I'm using them mostly for glassing whitetail in PA across fields and hillsides. I'm sometimes looking at deer close to 1,000 yards away that are still in my hunting area, but most of the time between probably 300 and 700. I don't have a tripod yet. I usually just sit and rest on my knees or my backpack if I have one with me. I kinda just want something to help me count points better and get better looks at deer that are way out there. I'm in college and pretty much what I have now is what I got unless I traded one. I definitely won't trade the 8s cause I like them too much. In the future when I get a real job, I'll definitely have a pair of much higher end binos and a spotter to go with it. It's honestly probably my favorite hobby. I'll just sit on the hill all evening glassing and not even have to be hunting. So basically it's more of a want than a need right now. I've taken a few trips out west and while looking at goats and sheep is when I decided I want a spotter even if its just for two trips a year.

I suppose I'll probably just stick with what I have now instead of messing around until I have the money for Mavens or one of the others mentioned. Then maybe my retirement present will be Swaros lol.

Oh and my neighbors girlfriend isn't even worth a pair of Tascos

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
That's not much of a magnification jump. Spotting scope is a different use basically--spot from way farther and/or size up game.

Yeah I know it's a little bit of a weird concept. I guess what I was asking is that is that little of a magnification jump worth the hassle or should I just wait, use what I got, and buy a spotter someday. Like I told the other guy, I'm in college and pretty broke so the only way I could get 12s is by trading my 10s. I don't really need them, just kinda wish I could count points on bucks a little better. Basically I want a spotting scope but I won't have the money for one in at least a year or two. I just thought maybe 12x50 would be a decent jump from 10x42.

Think I'll just be grateful for what I have now and just wait till I have the money to buy something nicer.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help guys, I just need to be more patient and not spend anymore time or money on entry level optics when I already have two pairs. What I have is plenty good enough for me for now. I'm just too greedy and always want something different haha.

I'd consider the Maven C1 in 10x42. Do a demo. Should be a significant jump in glass quality. Put those puppies on a basic tripod and you'll be glassing out a few miles with solid game finding and judging.