Opinions on Vortex Viper HD 12x50 or 10x42

Luked

WKR
checked these out at Cabelas yesterday and really liked them a lot.
the 12x50 is the ones I was looking at. but thinking the 10x42 might be a little more useful to me here at home also.

does any one have any reviews on them or experience with them.
cant afford a pair of Swaros or anything like this looking for something good in the $500 range if you all have some others to advise

I've owned both. I originally bought the 12x50s but ended up selling them to get a pair of 10x42s. I felt that the FOV in the 12x50s was simply too restrictive for my uses. Also, I felt the glass quality wasn't good enough for the extra magnification to help at all. That was three years ago, though, and they've changed models since. The newer ones have a significantly larger FOV in the 12x50 but they're also made in China as opposed to Japan, and people report the glass being worse in those Chinese models.

If it were me I would get a pair of the 10x42s. They're a solid pair of binos that will suit you just fine.

slowelk

WKR
Overwhelmingly people seem to favor the Maven C1 over the Vortex Vipers, and even the Razors in some cases. Meopta Meopro is another option that is regularly rated higher than the the vortex offerings. Both of those can be had for at or below $500.

joemulkey

FNG
I can’t remember what I paid exactly but I bought my wife a pair of leica 10x42 from optics planet and I think they were in the $500 range they are top notch. I’m trying to think if I bought them during cyber Monday or not. But if your not in a hurry that’s a good option to watch for a sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would strongly suggest, in that price range, to look at the Meopta Meopro 10x42 HD's. IMO, a much better optic for the same $$$

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Thanks guys looking at them now on Optics Planet

6.5x284

WKR
Depends on what is most important to you. Budget, weight, FOV, power? I have lots of time with SLC's (not in this list the but the standard in which all other hunting bino's are compared against), MeoStar 10x42 HD's, and the most time with my old 10x50 Viper HDs. My main hunting partner has the MeoStar 10x42's, and we always swap at first/last light (good light doesn’t reveal a weakness in most 10x bino's other than FOV). We can glass deer and elk within seconds of each other, swapping both binos back and forth, well before and well past legal shooting light. All this is with the old gen Viper HD. With the new 2018 model (I got the 10x50's again, I love a 50mm obj), I am VERY impressed. Glass is subjective, but they hit a homerun for that price point. It is an absolute upgrade. The FOV and edges are amazing. You can get the new Viper HD for $500 all day long, and it will give up nothing to the MeoPro in terms of glass and you'll come out ahead with more FOV and less weight. I can't speak to the Maven but have heard mostly good things. Bottom line is any of the 3 are excellent and you will not miss spotting an animal because of any of the three. If I had $500 to spend on bino's, I would take the Viper HD 100 times out of 100. If I had 950 to spend on bino's, I would still take the Viper HD's, and spend $500 on tags for 2019 season. Go spot up an out of state bull with your new Viper HD's.

MeoStar B1 10x42 HD

FOV: 6.3 Degrees
Weight: 31.8 Ounces

---------------------------------

Vortex Viper HD (2018) 10x42

FOV: 6.5 Degrees
Weight: 24.9 Ounces

---------------------------------

Maven C1 10x42

FOV: 6.5 Degrees
Weight: 24.5 Ounces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Viper HD 10x42 binos. I love them. For me personally, I find the glass quality to be very good. I spend most of my time glassing hillsides between 200-1000 yards and they work wonderfully. When it is hot out, nothing is really going to be amazing because the heat waves mess everything up. I had a pair of Cabelas 8x42 and these are better by a LONG shot. Not even close. I don't find the edges very fuzzy and I can see fine in the early morning and evening hours with little light. Also, probably the best part, it their warranty. If you accidentally drop them off a cliff and break them, you get a new pair for the low price of Free-ninety-nine. Best warranty and CS out there.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 10X42 and really like them. My hunting buddy has the 12X50. For my eyes the 10X42 work the best. As stated by others, I see clearer with 10X then I do with the 12X. My buddy likes his best. MY buddy's wife also likes the 10X better as well. Maybe I am just a girl.....lol. So not sure that helps you out at all. I do think that optics match up with your eye sight, perspcription ect.

If you are on a budget, would still buy used alpha glass - S, Z, or L - before buying any new substandard brand.