8x42 vs 10x42 SLC

Riplip

WKR
Going to upgrade glass and have for the most part decided on the SLC. I am debating what size 8x42 vs 10x42. I have always had 10x42 but primarly archery elk hunt and I don't do a lot of intense glassing in the areas I hunt. It seems that a lot of archery hunters prefer the wider field of view of the 8x42. Anyone care to weigh in on this or have made the switch from 10's to 8's?

As a side note I do have good mule deer (rilfe) tag this year. Thinking the 8x42's would be good for general glassing and may add a pair of 12's or 15;s for detailed tripod spotting/glassing.

Get the 10s

Put them on a tripod and let them eat.

I have and use the 15 hds as well but you will be surprised how good the 10's are on a tripod.

HookUp

WKR
Get the 10's. Have had 8x and it was not near enough magnification for me. Also depends how good your vision it, there isnt a lot I can see with 8x I cant see with my naked eye. When I jump to 10's I can really start to see at distance. For archery elk binos aren't a requirement. I would much rather hunt elk without bino's than deer.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get the 10's. Have had 8x and it was not near enough magnification for me. Also depends how good your vision it, there isnt a lot I can see with 8x I cant see with my naked eye. When I jump to 10's I can really start to see at distance. For archery elk binos aren't a requirement. I would much rather hunt elk without bino's than deer.
I'm going to have to say it that's just unbelievable.
Biggest advantage of Swarovski to me is being able to see into shadows and limited light situations. I've bounced back and forth between 8 and 10 power lots of times and I'm currently back to 8's. Biggest advantage for me is the picture is clear because shaking is less noticable. My hunting partner has 10s and I think my 8 give very little up against the 10 power. I will say that currently 10's are more desirable and therefore hold value better than 8's. How much different is field of view I always thought it was pretty close between them?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
I bought the 8.5’s after spending last year with my slc 10x42’s on a tripod. Loved the 10’s on a tripod, but longed for more fov. Then elk season came, and I hardly needed my 10’s on the tripod, and thats when I realized how hard it was freehand the 10’s. You think you can hold them steady, until you get them on a tripod. The improved resolution of the extra power is often lost due to even the slightest hand shake. Now I own the 8.5’s. I know Robby Denning prefers the 8’s for some of the same reasons. We’ll see? I expect to love them, but I need to spend the season with them. My el’s are set up for tripod use also. For what its worth, I don’t know if there is a perfect choice for all applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
Although my primary western hunting binos are geovid 10x42's ( because of rangefinder) I also have swaro SV 8.5x42's and in your case that's what I would pick.
A couple years ago I spent a bunch of time comparing both the 10x42 and 8.5x42 SV's and I was very surprised how little difference there was between the two, but the the 8.5's were for me, much easier to hold steady/glass with comfort when hand held.

AGPank

WKR
Where I elk hunt it’s heavy timber. I love the 8x42 SLC. It’s 408’ FOV vs 330’ for the 10x. They are a great low light binocular and can see well before/after legal shooting light.

I’ve never had 8’s and felt I missed something with 10’s.

If I hunted more of the open West Country like big sage brush country, canyons, etc, I would still keep the 8’s and have a pair of 12’s on a tripod.

A 10x42 is a great versatile bino. I have a pair of el sv, but they don’t get the same use as my 8x32 El sv.

For a lot of my elk hunting I prefer my Leica 8x32 Ultravid pre-HD from back in 2005. For open country the Swaro Vision 10-42 ELs get the call. I really like having the choice of a smaller frame, lighter weight and lower power binos as well as the larger unit. Close to an even split over the year as per usage, with the nod going to the 10-42s, but I hunt above tree line (sheep & deer) quite a bit. No wrong choice with what you present, just what you settle on. If only one bino, I'd get the 10x42s.

AGPank

WKR
Save these threads to support extra binos for your wife! “Look honey, it’s not just me”