Razor 11-33x50 thoughts?

Need to pick up a spotter quick for my hunt coming up. I was looking at the Vortex Razor 11-33x50. I need to be able to pick out true spike bulls at up to 500-700 yards out. Do you guys have any experience with this scope and would the magnification be enough for this task? My other option is the Viper 20-60x85. Would this be more appropriate for what I need it for?

I owned a Razor 11-33x50 for a few years and, yes, it's capable of picking out spike bulls at up to 500-700 yards. I never had trouble picking up spike muleys at that distance when I lived in Phoenix, which was necessary on those OTC any-antlered deer tags.

I compared the Razor 11-33x50 to all the Viper models including the big one when I bought, and found the glass in the Razor to be superior. Vortex has altered (I would say revamped, but that implies improvement) their line since and now make their optics in China, so it would be worth checking out for yourself if the Vipers are better than the Razor if you're looking to buy new. I would personally choose a Japanese made Razor over a Chinese made Viper any day.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're set on that scope give Scott at Liberty Optics a call as he has a mint condition used one at a cheap price.

If you'd consider an alternative may i suggest the Athlon Cronus 12-36x50 ED which I think is superior and would cost you a little less (give us a call, 516-217-1000)

Shop Online | Camera Land NY

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
That spotter is a staple in my pack for everything but sheep hunting. You'll have no problem whatsoever with those distances.

mcseal2

WKR
I haven't tried the Razor but the Nikon ED50 would do what you ask too. I had one but sold it recently after getting a Kowa 55mm spotter. The Kowa is awesome but in higher price range.

OP
O
Thanks a ton guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Razor. I’m stoked. Seems like it’s a good optic.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on my 3rd year using mine and it rarely stays behind. Considering it weighs less than my 12x50 binos do I never really think about wether I will take it or not like I do with a bigger spotter.

WestNE

WKR
Scott over at Liberty Optics still has that Mint used one for only $449.99 if anyone's interested

I'm not acknowledging this because it surprises me from Doug but kudos on a standup move as a business and sponsor of this site!

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not acknowledging this because it surprises me from Doug but kudos on a standup move as a business and sponsor of this site!

It's not something we handle and Scott at Liberty is a reliable guy and $449.99 is a great deal for someone here. Being a supporting vendor here is giving support to the members :)

OP
O
I agree! In fact I agree so much that I am getting it off him. Seems like a stand up guy.

104TN

FNG
The Little Kowa 50mm for around $300.00 is a great option as well

Not to sidetrack the thread, but Doug - would you be willing to share your thoughts on the Kowa vs the Athlon you've been recommending lately? These little 50mm spotters seem to be gaining in popularity and I for one would be interested in hearing how you think these compare if you're inclined to share.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not to sidetrack the thread, but Doug - would you be willing to share your thoughts on the Kowa vs the Athlon you've been recommending lately? These little 50mm spotters seem to be gaining in popularity and I for one would be interested in hearing how you think these compare if you're inclined to share.

Kowa makes 2 little units. Their 20-40x50 which retails for $349.99 and the 15-45x55 which retails for $1,799.99

The 50mm scope is a very good quality unit that compared to the Athlon Ares 7.2-22.5x50 ED I would say is extremely close optically, however, I'm not a huge fan of a 7.5-22.5x spotter and would prefer, all things being equal, a 20-40x.

The Athlon Cronus 12-36x50 ED, on the other hand, is an excellent scope with some decent power and optically would be between the 2 Kowas.

To rate the Kowa 15-45x55 we would have to put it grouped with a Leica or a Swarovski as it really is that amazing.

All of these are so tiny and light that they can ride in a water bottle holder on the side of your pack :)

I hope this assists.