Viper vs razor spotting

I’m sure this kind of thing gets beat to death around here but I’m gonna drop some coin and I recognize I don’t have quite enough experience to make the call with out consulting the hive mind. Thank you in advance.

In short, I’m considering the viper (viper pre2018) 80 or a razor HD 50.

Essentially light weight 50 vs heavy 80. The viper weighs almost 3x as much as the razor.

I do mostly Texas hunting. A lot of it is so dense my Binos (10x DBs) are more than enough. But I do hunt Mulies in the plains that require some long range searching. Till now I’ve just had get closer to see if there is a buck among the herd. I’m going on my first back country Colorado hunt in a few weeks and hope to move there in a year or 2.

Part of me wants the higher zoom and to just suffer the weight difference for longer range. The other part say go for the lighter weight. I just don’t know if I’ll wish I had less weight or more zooooom. I’m in pretty decent shape.

Either one will be the nicest glass I own or ever used. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
S
Just to clarify.....

Razor is 11-33x50

Viper is 20-60x80

So 33 light vs 60 heavy.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
May I suggest the 60 or 66mm Kowa. The 60mm is superior optically to to the Viper and the 66mm is superior to the Razor and the weight would fall between the 2 you're looking at.
It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you, please feel free to give a call, 516-217-1000.
Have a great weekend

I only hear great things about the Kowa. Isn't that a whole different price point, though, Doug?

OP
S
Overall you guys feel that for the size vs weight payoff 60-65 is the best of both worlds? Assuming other variables are equal?