65mm Spotting Scope review

Going to head out this weekend and do a head to head review of the top 4 65mm spotters out there; Swaro, Vortex, Leica and Zeiss.

If anyone is looking for a specific feature you want reviewed let us know and we can get it done.

If you've had a chance to review them yourself what was your favorite and why?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_20140408_113504_261.jpg
    IMG_20140408_113504_261.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 390

colonel00

WKR
One thing I always find myself wanting in reviews of optics is some sort of visual example. I know it isn't always the easiest to get this done though but it would sure help display differences between the scopes. Perhaps some sort of digiscoping setup using the same camera on each scope and focusing at the same target? Just throwing this out there in case it is a possibility.

Flatbow

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I had a Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, and Kowa side by side on tripods. Not professionally trained, I could not tell a difference. I went with a Kowa TSN 66 because it was shorter and a lot lighter than the others. As a sheep hunter that means much to me. I really love the clarity of the scope, even into low light.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
One thing I always find myself wanting in reviews of optics is some sort of visual example. I know it isn't always the easiest to get this done though but it would sure help display differences between the scopes. Perhaps some sort of digiscoping setup using the same camera on each scope and focusing at the same target? Just throwing this out there in case it is a possibility.

That's something we are trying to do.

Rizzy

WKR
As an eyeglass wearer actual eye relief at all magnification is a big deal. My 65mm viper is OK at 20X but once I zoom in, I'm screwed. Eye relief of 20mm + at the highest magnification is what it would take to be able to use a spotting scope with glasses.

Very cool, will you be using the latest and greatest models from each manufacturer?

^^^this,
1. maybe at low light conditions.
2. Possibly another test at long distances looking a specific object (ie sign or something you can read and determine the clarity at long distances)
3. eye relief /strain (not sure how how to test....possibly note if any one causes more difficulty looking through it for extended periods of time)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Compare clarity and brightness at dusk with each.
Compare colors with each in different environments.......timber, desert.
Compare clarity (like being able to read some sort of chart at a mile + or something like that).
Edge to edge picture quality........any distortions on the edges?

And of course at all power levels for each model.

I have wondered how my vortex 65 would fair with those big dogs mentioned in low light performance and clarity at high magnification.

desertcj

WKR
I realize this is a best of the best review, I'd like to see a mid-level/budget spotter comparison. I can't afford to spend half of what my vehicle costs on a spotting scope. If not, no biggy. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
You just need your review to confirm that my new Swaro I picked up over the winter is the best of the best! : )
Took me forever to save up for that darn thing! :)

Sweet stuff can't wait for the review! I'd stick an eye glasses chart at 800 yards and see what you can read at different times of the day... That way it's a little bit quantitative.

Mike

lintond

WKR
I have wondered how my vortex 65 would fair with those big dogs mentioned in low light performance and clarity at high magnification.

^^ Yeah that... Curious to know if the Vortex (poor boys scope :)) is in the same class or not. At this point I'm just a try hard hunter, so spending $2k+ for a spotter probably doesn't do me much good. Maybe in do time....

lintond

WKR
Sweet stuff can't wait for the review! I'd stick an eye glasses chart at 800 yards and see what you can read at different times of the day... That way it's a little bit quantitative.

Mike
I like this idea. Gives us a quantitative example to use as a good starting point.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd actually like to see the Zen Ray ED2 spotter tested against everybody else as well. I keep hearing that it's as good as the best......but never actually even seen one.

OP
S&S ARCHERY
Thanks for all the feedback. Definitely going to try to hit most of the topics above.

We are going to do a review later down the road of the mid-level scopes. Coop, if you want to get that to me I can include it in one of the reviews.

From my backyard I can view Bogus Basin Ski Resort and did a quick test last evening. My initial impression is that the optics in all four are very, very close and its really comes down to features/size/weight etc. I can say the Vortex is pretty impressive when you throw in the cost factor. Definitely not quite the same resolution at full power but really, really close to the others.

Steve