Looking to upgrade head of Slik Sprint Mini II tripod

Shrek

WKR
Mamfrotto 700RC2 . I think I paid about $80 for mine. Trim down or remove the handle to get it under a pound. I decided o liked the handle so I kept it on mine but you can use it without the handle.

LaHunter

WKR
Promaster makes a pretty good budget friendly pan head that sells for about $50-$75, depending on when and where you buy it. I think this pan head is listed at 16 or 17 ounces. It functions just fine with my 3# spotter. Not sure if it would fit your tripod or not, but it may be worth looking at.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Don't limit yourself to just Slik heads unless you are trying to match QR plates. I have the vanguard ph-111v and its a good budget head that works well on my sprint pro II which is basically the same tripod. Just need the right thread adapter which are easy to find.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/919506-REG/vanguard_ph_111v_magnesium_alloy_video.html

I've got three QR plates, one for camera, one for spotter, and one for binos. I'm not opposed to buying more QR plates, but it better be one awesome pan head, know what I mean?

dotman

WKR
I have that same tripod and when I use it instead of another I put the Outdoorsman pan head on it.

lilcoues

FNG
Don't limit yourself to just Slik heads unless you are trying to match QR plates. I have the vanguard ph-111v and its a good budget head that works well on my sprint pro II which is basically the same tripod. Just need the right thread adapter which are easy to find.

Access Denied

Can you provide some detail on how you were able to remove the ball head off of your Sprint Pro II?

Owenst7

WKR
Swing by your local BestBuy and check out the Manfrotto BeFree. I believe it is the lightest fluid head on the market right now. Mine weighs about 12 ounces.

I checked out a Vanguard ph113v at Scheel's also. It was a good head, but it was much bulkier and I don't believe it supported the weight of my 65mm spotter any differently than the Manfrotto. The Vanguard PH21 I messed with was a good head also, but I didn't like how the pan and tilt tension used the same adjuster (you tighten/loosen the handle to adjust resistance for both axis at the same time). I didn't write it down, but I believe the PH21 was about 12 ounces also, so I didn't feel I was gaining anything with that simplicity.

If you don't have any experience with a fluid head vs. a pan head, do yourself a favor and find a place local to you where you can mess with one before you make a decision. They are a little heavier, but I find them much less frustrating to sit in front of for multiple hours of glassing. I find them much easier to do fine movements with at higher zooms, and they are easier to use with optics of varying weights/leverage (such as switching between binos and spotter).

I also prefer how the Manfrotto 501PL plate on the BeFree allows you to slide the plate on the head to adjust the balance point. The different optics and mounts I use do not all have a perfectly balanced mounting point, and this allows me to set the tilt to less resistance. That moves/flexes things a lot less when I move the tilt while I'm glassing.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Swing by your local BestBuy and check out the Manfrotto BeFree. I believe it is the lightest fluid head on the market right now. Mine weighs about 12 ounces.

I checked out a Vanguard ph113v at Scheel's also. It was a good head, but it was much bulkier and I don't believe it supported the weight of my 65mm spotter any differently than the Manfrotto. The Vanguard PH21 I messed with was a good head also, but I didn't like how the pan and tilt tension used the same adjuster (you tighten/loosen the handle to adjust resistance for both axis at the same time). I didn't write it down, but I believe the PH21 was about 12 ounces also, so I didn't feel I was gaining anything with that simplicity.

If you don't have any experience with a fluid head vs. a pan head, do yourself a favor and find a place local to you where you can mess with one before you make a decision. They are a little heavier, but I find them much less frustrating to sit in front of for multiple hours of glassing. I find them much easier to do fine movements with at higher zooms, and they are easier to use with optics of varying weights/leverage (such as switching between binos and spotter).

I also prefer how the Manfrotto 501PL plate on the BeFree allows you to slide the plate on the head to adjust the balance point. The different optics and mounts I use do not all have a perfectly balanced mounting point, and this allows me to set the tilt to less resistance. That moves/flexes things a lot less when I move the tilt while I'm glassing.

Outdoorsmans is lighter and much much smoother.

Owenst7

WKR
Outdoorsmans is lighter and much much smoother.

I did not weigh the OD pan head, but I found the Manfrotto to be much smoother. I rarely trust claimed weights from OEMs without verifying them myself. YMMV.

I do really like their pistol grip ball head for running binos. I simply don't like running a ball head with a spotter.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I did not weigh the OD pan head, but I found the Manfrotto to be much smoother. I rarely trust claimed weights from OEMs without verifying them myself. YMMV.

I do really like their pistol grip ball head for running binos. I simply don't like running a ball head with a spotter.

I did weigh it, 11.4oz for std pan and 7.4 for micro. Now maybe when new you may feel it’s better but I’ve yet to have a head with plastic in it not become sloppy from my experience.

Owenst7

WKR
I did weigh it, 11.4oz for std pan and 7.4 for micro. Now maybe when new you may feel it’s better but I’ve yet to have a head with plastic in it not become sloppy from my experience.

The Manfrotto does not have any plastic on it. First thing I did was take it apart and assess the construction.

I'm glad that you like Outdoorsman products so much.