Typically the arguments go like this:

Straight:

1. Easier to get on target.
2. Easier to glass from above.
3. Easier to glass from a vehicle.

Angled:

1. Easier on the neck.
2. Easier to glass up.
3. Easier to use with multiple people of different sizes.
4. You can use a shorter/lighter tripod.
5. Supports an over-the-eyepiece digiscoping setup better.

I use angled, because most angled scopes have a rotating color that more or less evens the field with the straight, except about getting on target easier. After some practice, though getting on target with an angled scope is second nature, at least for me.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
BB,
Good thinking to have that saved for a quick copy/paste! :D

Agree completely--I may have to copy down your list.

I prefer the angled mostly for stability as I glass from a mountainside normally, not standing or from the truck window. Let's me keep the tripod lower and more stable.

I've also found after an outing or two it is not a problem quickly picking up game with the angled.

People that buy straight spotting scope like straight ones and vice versa. The supposed pros and cons are hashed out nearly daily on here and ultimately it comes down to what you are used to.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Steve,

I keep it handy, because it is a common, and important, question for those considering getting a spotter.

I really don't like sending somebody searching for previous threads when they are just asking a legitimate question.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always had straight spotters, then a couple years ago came to the conclusion that I really like angled much better. Just more versatile for me, and a lot easier to spot in a seated position while keeping the tripod low.

B.S.

FNG
I have a strait, but if buying again would get an angled for all the reasons already mentioned.

Beastmode

WKR
Here is my standard response to this question:

Typically the arguments go like this:

Straight:

1. Easier to get on target.
2. Easier to glass from above.
3. Easier to glass from a vehicle.

Angled:

1. Easier on the neck.
2. Easier to glass up.
3. Easier to use with multiple people of different sizes.
4. You can use a shorter/lighter tripod.
5. Supports an over-the-eyepiece digiscoping setup better.

I use angled, because most angled scopes have a rotating color that more or less evens the field with the straight, except about getting on target easier. After some practice, though getting on target with an angled scope is second nature, at least for me.
With what BB said about the rotating angled bodies the angled is what I decided on. I have been happy with my decision. Target acquisition is a lot easier than you would think. It is a more comfortable position to glass for longer periods for me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've always used straight and bought a used angled scope. I've struggled to quickly aim that thing. Time will tell if I can make the adjustment or not. It does really shine when glassing up especially if your taller

Ryan R

Lil-Rokslider
I just switched from straight to angled and I much prefer the angled. Long glassing sessions are WAY more comfortable with the angled.

I have owned both and currently have angled. The only negative for me is sometimes it is a little tricky getting on target. Most of the time its a piece of cake, but once in a while I find I am not even close!

I'm inexperienced in the spotter world....but I've been told you want an angled for 65 & 85mm sized spotters and a straight for the shorter 50mm sized spotters.

For longer periods of glassing the angled shines (easier on neck, multiple users, digiscoping, etc) in the bigger spotters while the shorter body of the 50mm spotters can be a little touchy and harder to find/stay on target. But if a guy is traveling/hunting and packing a 50mm then the straight spotter is "better" (quicker target acquisition, more similar to looking thru a rifle scope, easier to switch from binos to spotter and back) than the angled.

I had a straight one that I was happy with for several years. Recently bought an angled one. I was worried about liking the angled version, but man there's no going back now! Angled all the way for me!