end all pair of binoculars

For the most part I like to be a buy once, cry once type of guy. I hate having to rebuy gear that I skimped on previously. Having said that, I don't have a ton of money right now but I do have an empty credit card and a few rifles to sell. So I am buy no means wealthy, however I intend to buy a high end set of glass and make it last. Price is a factor, but I am willing to bite the bullet on what ever I feel is within reason.

I am not an optics expert, I don't have a ton of experience looking through lots of pairs either. My current pair are Zen Ray ED3's. I've had them about 3 years now. they were "ok" optically but the durability left a lot to be desired. The armor is peeling off, the eye cups are locked up, and they feel kinda cheapo to me.

I'm looking for a pair that does most things well. I don't pack a spotter, nor do I usually try and spot game over a mile away. Glassing hillsides of brush and spotting deer several hundreds of yards away is more my style. At the same time I'm always stopping while I hike/hunt to scan the terrain just in around me. Constantly picking up and putting down the glass. I don't exactly baby my stuff either, so the bino will have to hold up to being squeezed through thorns, sticks, rocks, dirt, ect while on my chest.

I'm leaning towards swaro, mostly the 10x32 El swarovision or the 10x42 SCL's. Are the El's worth the extra $$$? I'm totally open to other choices and anything to save a buck or two.

If you took the time to read, I appreciate it. I hope you optically educated people can help me out.

Shrek

WKR
I got to use some 8.5x42 EL's this spring and I'm saving now. I don't know if you will think they're worth it or not but as soon as my eyes adjusted to the flattner lens I loved them. When I say adjust I mean the first time I put them up they were wierd kind of fishbowl for a moment then it came into focus and I never saw it again. I had heard that some people get that effect and it not go away and for some like me it goes away and some never see it. I haven't had the hd slc's to try. The Swarovski service is as good as I've ever dealt with when I had to send a scope in I had damaged. It was two weeks door to door and the woman I dealt with was incredibly nice and helpful. Swarovski customer service made me a customer for life unlike Zeiss which made me never want to buy Zeiss again.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Personally I like the ergonomics of the SLCs better than the ELs and I have owned both. So for me I'd go with the Swaro SLCs in 10X42 if I had to go back to using Swaro....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need to look through both el have a field flattener which is what sherk was talking about. I can afford neither but enjoy pretending when I'm at cabelas. I also slightly prefer the ergonomics of the slc

handwerk

WKR
I've used many of the alpha binos and to my eyes the swarovision 10x42's would be my top pick.
I've had mine since they first came out and am still very impressed with both the view and the ergos.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
what are you using now luke?

HAHA...FAR FAR from what most consider top tier glass but they are Vortex Razor HD 12X50s. They aren't the best for most, but for me they strike the best balance or glass quality, price, and weight. The Razor HD 12X50s weigh in with less than an oz of the Swaro 10X42s. I really like the 12X, but its not for everyone.

stuckey_t

FNG
end all pair of binoculars. just buy the swarovision el 10 * 42's and be done with it. everyone knows these are the best and everything else gets compared to swarovski binos. lifetime warranty on top of the top glass. it only has to hurt once for a reason.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm no expert but I look for quality and versatility I went with the Swaro 8x30 CL companion love how small lightweight they are but still a joy to look through. Since I have gotten them I've never felt like I wish I had more. They just perform perfectly for me. And I don't even know they are there till I reach for them.

I really like the Leica 10x32 Ultravids. Excellent glass, form, and feel. I wish I had money to buy them. I do have a set of 10x28 Leica Ultravid compacts and I love those things.

ohoopee

WKR
I use the leica 10x25 and swaro 8.5's. The big glass weighs a lot and for most of my applications the compact leica is used the most. If I had to choose tomorrow, I would buy a good used compact and a used pair of slc's or similar (vortex). I seem to often succumb to the "best" when
my 52 year old eyes can't tell the subtle difference in good optics. lol.

This is so much of an opinion thing....but here it goes.

I downsized from Leica 10x42 to Swarovision 8x32 EL and I have never looked back. By far the best glass I have used (for my needs). I used Zeiss 10x42 before the Leica. The Swarovision are the far superior glass to my eyes and I have converted a couple friends using top glass.

So my view would be this.
For 32s - the Swarovision 8x32 EL
For 42s - the Swarovision 8.5x42 EL

dotman

WKR
Get some bushnell trophy hunters, nothing better or even compares and they are 1/2000th of the price of the swaros especially if you get them at an outlet ;)

WRO

WKR
10x42 Els are the last glass you ever need....
Until you decide you need a set of 15's and compacts. I personally like 12x50s better. They work well on a tripod, are capable for carry and of hand work. But I have a set of eights as well.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I never leave Home without my Swarovski SLC 10X42s. I bought them for my first elk hunt back in the 1980s. I finally broke down and sent them back to Swarovski the year before last for a refirb job. They totally looked like crap. I got a call from them a few days after I sent them and told me they were going to replace all the glass and a bunch of other stuff. I just knew it was going to cost me a fortune since they were 25 years old. She told me it would be $125.00 for everything including the shipping. So I said of course do it. Well I got them back a week later. and they were like a brand new pair of binoculars right off the shelf. They even put new lens caps and new outer shield on them. So If you are going to spend the coin I wouldn't think twice about it go with the Swarovski

rodney482

WKR
Owned EL's and SLC and optically I could tell very little difference.

I also like the 8x32 platform for 90% of my hunts. I have a set of vortex vipers in 8x32 and just love them.

I also have a set of 10x42 Razor HDs and I place them right in line with the SLC but are more compact and lighter.

For the most part I like to be a buy once, cry once type of guy. I hate having to rebuy gear that I skimped on previously. Having said that, I don't have a ton of money right now but I do have an empty credit card and a few rifles to sell. So I am buy no means wealthy, however I intend to buy a high end set of glass and make it last. Price is a factor, but I am willing to bite the bullet on what ever I feel is within reason.

I am not an optics expert, I don't have a ton of experience looking through lots of pairs either. My current pair are Zen Ray ED3's. I've had them about 3 years now. they were "ok" optically but the durability left a lot to be desired. The armor is peeling off, the eye cups are locked up, and they feel kinda cheapo to me.

I'm looking for a pair that does most things well. I don't pack a spotter, nor do I usually try and spot game over a mile away. Glassing hillsides of brush and spotting deer several hundreds of yards away is more my style. At the same time I'm always stopping while I hike/hunt to scan the terrain just in around me. Constantly picking up and putting down the glass. I don't exactly baby my stuff either, so the bino will have to hold up to being squeezed through thorns, sticks, rocks, dirt, ect while on my chest.

I'm leaning towards swaro, mostly the 10x32 El swarovision or the 10x42 SCL's. Are the El's worth the extra $$$? I'm totally open to other choices and anything to save a buck or two.

If you took the time to read, I appreciate it. I hope you optically educated people can help me out.

Just curious, how did you settle on 10x being what you want for your type of hunting?