El vs Razor HD

JP20

Lil-Rokslider
So I've been doing some serious thinking about ordering new binos, my question is. Those who have compared Swaro El 10x50 side by side to Vortex Razor HD 10x50 what is your opinion on the difference? I've talked with a few people that say the only difference they have noticed is that the Swaro's are crisper all the way to the edge in the field of view, but they all say the price difference doesn't match the glass difference. Thanks for any insight on the glass

I cannot speak to the 50's but the 42's I've looked through both. I personally like the SLC's better. For my eyes thought they were better glass then either.

As far as the els vs razors, I have and love the razors. But they are not swaros. In store they look basically the same. My father had a pair so I got to spend some time actually outside with them. They are better then the razors no doubt about that. That said I could not justify paying for the el's for what I got in return, that decision is really only one you can make. If I would have looked through the SLC's prior to getting the razor I would have ponied up for them. My father sold the els and went to the SLC.

I suggest you look through the els outside and pan around or track a bird with them. My dad experienced the rolling ball, the swaro rep said he would get used to it. He never did.

kaboku68

WKR
Vortex Razors are great binos. They feature an advanced APO prism system that really makes colors pop. However, Take a Leica Ultravid, A Zeiss HT or a Swaro SLC HD and a pair of Vortex Razors and take them out during a dark over cast day where you have to use the quality of the glass to pop out critters out of the wood work.
Then you will know why people belly up to the bar and plunk their cash.

John Nicholson the former SONA rep once said that he would give the salesman who sold a pair of ELs without the customer having the experience of having their hunting buddy see everything before they did $100 bill. I have only done it once.

There are two qualifiers.
1) You spend more than 80 days per year hunting and using your binos seriously.
2) You only get one trip per year but you better make the most of your trip.

There is 1 disqualifier.
1) You have 10/10 vision and you can find a rat's @ss in a snowstorm at midnight and tascos or simmons poroprism binoculars suit your needs.
There are a lot of young eyes on here and that can make a great difference. Young eyes like Nikon Monarch 7s as well.

I love Vortex and own a pair of 12X50 HD Razors. However, I have had many conversations with hunters who dropped their Razors while they were in the field and then would get chronic headaches because the APO system would be out of kilter.

Just my thoughts and I fully expect to get torpedoed...

Sincerely,
Thomas

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Agree with everything Kaboku68 said.

I guess I have young eyes, though my knees don't feel as young as my eyes as of late. I don't think anyone will argue that the Razors are as good as anything from top tier Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss. I have owned binos from all 3 of those companies and 3 different models in fact from Swaro but none of the latest with swarovision or anything.

That said to me I don't feel I am really giving up enough with the Razors (12X50s) to warrant going back to the much more spendy options. Maybe down the road I will "see" the difference more, but for now it certainly isn't worth it and the for the price difference I can go on two fly out goat hunts. ;)

rodney482

WKR
Your eyes make a world of difference.

Just like boots, there is no one "best" pair for everyone.

Shrek

WKR
Like was said earlier about Swarovison. You need to take it out and pan with it but I add that you need to set them down if you get the rolling ball effect and then try them again. I got it the first time I looked through a pair of EL's but when I looked again my eyes had adjusted and it was gone. The EL's made details pop like nothing I'd ever looked through before and I'm getting a pair as soon as possible. My eyes were so relaxed they felt better that without binoculars and no hint of a headache with EL's.

JP my two cents here also. I have compared the SLC HD and EL I could see no difference between the two really for what I use them for. I do all Eastern Whitetail hunting and turkey. Both are very solid binos and have good warranties. Dont throw out the SLC HD.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't compared the two side x side but I have owned the EL 12 x 50 for several months and they are simply incredible. I have let several other glance through them and it always results in a "holy sh*t".

I am forever sold on top tier glass. When I bought them I was making $15/hour and worked 32 straight days (7 days a week) from sun up to sundown. When I hit overtime I referred to it as "Swaro hours"....They are now insured but if something were to happen to them I would gladly sacrifice everything I could to replace them.

I haven't compared the two side x side but I have owned the EL 12 x 50 for several months and they are simply incredible. I have let several other glance through them and it always results in a "holy sh*t".

I am forever sold on top tier glass. When I bought them I was making $15/hour and worked 32 straight days (7 days a week) from sun up to sundown. When I hit overtime I referred to it as "Swaro hours"....They are now insured but if something were to happen to them I would gladly sacrifice everything I could to replace them.

Pretty much sums it up right there!

MattB

WKR
Even if folks don't see the difference in the field, one place the difference will definately be noticed is if/when you sell them. Swarovski will hold its value much better than will Vortex, and the overall cost of ownership will likely be much closer than the differential in cost when first buying the binocs (Luke might get one or both of those fly in goat hunts back :D).

Zbot

WKR
I have let several other glance through them and it always results in a "holy sh*t".

My FIL tried my ELs a few weeks ago after playing with my Vortex binos and spotter watching a few deer across the valley we were in. He put them to his eyes and uttered, "oh, wow!" It was difficult to get them back after that:D

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
If you're used to high quality glass, then you'll be able to tell the difference. But for me, the best pair of Binoculars I had ever owned were Bushnell Legend 10x42s. Well I bought some Razor HDs, and there is a huge difference. I love them and couldn't imagine the Els could be TWICE as good as them as they are OVER twice the price. Plus they have one of the best warrantys available. I got mine as a demo pair for 945$ on Elknut.com. They arrived packaged and are just like brand new. Can't imagine spending 2600 could be worth it compared to 945......

Even if folks don't see the difference in the field, one place the difference will definately be noticed is if/when you sell them. Swarovski will hold its value much better than will Vortex, and the overall cost of ownership will likely be much closer than the differential in cost when first buying the binocs (Luke might get one or both of those fly in goat hunts back :D).

I disagree. Vortex because of their warranty holds their value just as well..

I compared my EL's to a buddies pair of Vortex (can't remember the model) binos and thought there was a pretty big difference in clarity. It was a sunny day, so not the best conditions to compare light gathering. All said, I believe I'll be sticking with the Swaro's, my ageing eyes need all the help they can get.

You WILL use Vortex's warranty often. This is why everyone preaches their warranty. Do a quick search online, and read all the good reviews of their warranty service. MOST will use it within the first 3 years of owning vortex. Swarovski has the same warranty, and you will not have to use it near as often. If your optics break in the field, the warranty does not mean much, because your hunt is already handicapped by faulty optics. Will Vortex repair or replace? Absolutely, but your hunt was still hindered big time.

Swarovski and do not look back!

Shrek

WKR
If you can afford the Swarovski's you won't regret buying them. I've played with quite a few Vortex now and I've yet to see anything exciting. Nice enough glass for the money but nothing particularly high performance. I'm sure Vortex will replace your glass when it fails but they will fail and they're made cheaply enough that vortex can replace them repeatedly and still have made money. I also would not expect vortex to still be here in twenty years or more and still replace your razors. Vortex doesn't make anything themselves. They spec designs and contract the build to an East Asian manufacturer. Swarovski , Zeiss , Meopta are not just marketing companies they are the manufacturer also. They have capital investments that are here for the long term.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you can afford the Swarovski's you won't regret buying them. I've played with quite a few Vortex now and I've yet to see anything exciting. Nice enough glass for the money but nothing particularly high performance. I'm sure Vortex will replace your glass when it fails but they will fail and they're made cheaply enough that vortex can replace them repeatedly and still have made money. I also would not expect vortex to still be here in twenty years or more and still replace your razors. Vortex doesn't make anything themselves. They spec designs and contract the build to an East Asian manufacturer. Swarovski , Zeiss , Meopta are not just marketing companies they are the manufacturer also. They have capital investments that are here for the long term.

Edit: vortex was founded in 2002

Last edited: