Rick Young Outdoors Ultra-Light Bino Harness?

Anyone here use one of these? I checked out their website a few weeks ago after hearing about them but didnt think much of it, but I saw Jeff Simpson using one today on a video I was watching, so it made me wonder how well they actually work.

Anyone have any experience?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Also a huge fan and user of the Rick Young. only thing I will use as they are comfortable and i hardly know they are there. Hold the Binos in place very well also.

kpk

WKR
Also a huge fan and user of the Rick Young. only thing I will use as they are comfortable and i hardly know they are there. Hold the Binos in place very well also.

Same here. I wore mine for a week straight and I never found anything uncomfortable about it and never had to readjust anything. I usually hate wearing bino harnesses, but this one you simply don't notice at all.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
How's the "bounce" with this harness? That's the one thing I've never liked about the typical elastic harnesses. Currently using a nimrod but I do like the looks of the ryo harness as it looks really simple

choovhntr

WKR
I've used it for the past year. Like the simple design and the ability to wear them different ways. While the elasticity is nice for some things like wearing under a pack chest harness and still be accessible, they do bounce. You can cure this by taking one wrap around the lens barrels with the chord. They show an example on their website. Harder to do with open bridge binoculars like Swarovski el's because of the small overhang of the lens from the bridge, but will work. Also, the plastic clips seem to be cheaply made, but have not proven to be a problem yet. Overall, well worth the money.

kpk

WKR
How's the "bounce" with this harness? That's the one thing I've never liked about the typical elastic harnesses. Currently using a nimrod but I do like the looks of the ryo harness as it looks really simple

I never noticed any bounce with mine, but looks like Jaun_ID did. Like Jaun said, you can wrap it around the bino to stop the bounce if it's a problem. I think there's actually a youtube video where he goes through all the different ways to set it up. At least if you don't like it you're not out much for 20-25 bucks.

I believe member Hunt&Fish did a write up on a DIY version of these on rokslide. I made a harness and used small s-biner as clips. Works amazing for my slc 8x30's

Wrongside

WKR
These things just work, and work well. I've tried several different bino harnesses over the years and never cared for any of them. Always ended up back at the plain old strap. A buddy was raving about the Rick Young, but I was extremely sceptical. Finally tried them and loved them. Light, simple and very functional. No fluff like so many other systems, IMO. Almost every one of my hunting buds is using them now... LOL

As for bounce, it depends on the weight of the binos attached and activities involved. I have noticed a little more stretch with my current set of fairly heavy 8x42 Gold Rings, but not to the point of being a problem. Like others mentioned, looping the barrels under the harness when very active helps a bunch.

Takeem406

WKR
I've had mine for a couple years after reading about them here. I love it! It's simple and very adjustable. Almost want a bivy to protect my glass.

OP
cornfedkiller
Just ordered one this morning based off of your reviews here. Cant wait to get it!

Thanks guys.

joelbiltz

WKR
I also have used the Rick young harness for several years. I love mine and if you have problems with it the customer service is second to none.

Any thoughts on using these with 12x50 binos? I've been looking at the FHF bino harness, but am having a hard time finding one to buy. Would like to have the protection that the FHF has, but I see they also sell a neoprene sleeve to go along with the RYO harness, any reviews on that?

Thanks

Squirrels

WKR
If you don’t desire the protection they are sweet. I have one I use whitetail hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I use one heavily. When not needing a chest pack, it is easily the best harness system.

Tradchef

WKR
I got one last year to replace my crooked horns. They are fantastic. I didn’t have any bounce and it stayed tight to my chest. I am looking to either get an enclosed harness or try the neoprene cover Rick offers instead.

I switched to one last year after getting tired of the chest pack harnesses and dont think I'll be switching back.