AGC Bino Harnesses

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Lets talk bino packs. For those that have seen/used Alaska Guide Creations, what do you think of them? If you have, which do you use? And I guess the main question is how do they compare with other bino packs/bivy's?

I'm a bit nervous to share this because it's my first video, but I just did this video for our AGC Page.

[video]https://youtu.be/IPeic9iYD88[/video]

Please tell me what you think. Any feedback would be great. I'm really liking my AGC Cub so far. It fits really well, and it holds what I need.

Thanks Guys. I hope you are all doing well.

Randle

WKR
Great video very nice to see them side by side to compare .I really like cub I have

OP
blackovis

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
Nice, did you get one with a max pocket? I didn't, and I'm kind of thinking I should have.

Randle

WKR
I didn't either but I may get a KISS with the max will it hold a nikon 440 or 800 type rangefinder in the max pocket?

wyodan

WKR
All of the bino harnesses seems to have their own advantages/disadvantages. I have an AGC Cub. What I like about it is the pockets hold my optics cleaning supplies and just a little something else I may want handy. The shoulder straps are awesome. My dislikes are very minor and not a big deal. I wish the lid bungee on the front pulled down instead of up to release it. I also wish that they used ladder locks where the front part of the harness connects to the top of the bino pack. But like I said, not a big deal. Great product though.

Davebuech

WKR
I've been running bino's on a Swift Creek rig for a while. Have tried the simple "paracord" styles too. The swift creek's are nice and light but offer no protection for the bino's other than the caps. I had the quick flip caps on my Swaro's but often I would forget to put the top cap on, only to have it fog/get a drop of moisture/dirt when I replay needed em so...
I am now using an AGC Cub also and it is great protection for my bino's. It also provides a few pockets for calls/emerg stuff/rangefinder/fairydust. Stuff, I use lot (aside from emg stuff). Change what goes in the pockets depending on what/where you're hunting and you can always have essentials with you, even if you drop your pack. Not so big to get overstuffed and balances well with a pack. Sometimes I wish I got the under pocket stowage and then again if I have an extra pocket, I will find something to put in it!
Not as light as the Swift Creek and a little warmer but never uncomfortable. I agree the buckles could be changed.
Highly recommend this product.

OP
blackovis

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't either but I may get a KISS with the max will it hold a nikon 440 or 800 type rangefinder in the max pocket?

I have the Vortex RF, and it fits just fine. If the Nikon is close to that, you'll be good.

twall13

WKR
I have an older model that had the buckle closure before they went to the bungee this past year. I love it but the bungee closure is a definite improvement. With the older system I have to undo the buckle to get to the "rangefinder" pouch. It's kind of a pain and as a result, I don't carry a range finder in that pocket but use it to store other essentials. It looks like they solved this issue with the bungee closure. As you mentioned, the bungee is also more silent during operation.

I did get the max pocket on mine and it's been useful. I can fit a couple honey stinger waffles in it as well as a lens cleaning cloth. The side pockets hold a Petzl E+lite, my fire starting kit, my tripod mount for my binos, etc.

A couple things you didn't touch on with your video, there are actually two stretch pockets on the top, one overlapping the other. In practice I've only ever used one at a time but it's worth pointing out. You also didn't mention the mesh pocket on the back of the pack. I've found that to be an awesome place to keep my license and tags while I'm out hunting.

The nice thing about this pack is once it's on you kind of forget about it (unless it is really hot). I wear this under my backpack without any issues. If I need to drop my pack, I know I've always got my essentials with my in my binopack. I don't know if the new harness comes with this or not but I also have a small pocket on the back of the harness (where it sits between your shoulder blades). I've never used it for anything as I don't want to impede breathability but it is there if I needed it for something. Again, I don't know if that's included on the newer models or not.

Great video; it's nice to see all the different new models side by side. I'm looking forward to more gear review/overview videos from you guys in the future.

Davebuech

WKR
A couple things you didn't touch on with your video, there are actually two stretch pockets on the top, one overlapping the other. In practice I've only ever used one at a time but it's worth pointing out. You also didn't mention the mesh pocket on the back of the pack. I've found that to be an awesome place to keep my license and tags while I'm out hunting.

... I don't know if the new harness comes with this or not but I also have a small pocket on the back of the harness (where it sits between your shoulder blades). I've never used it for anything as I don't want to impede breathability but it is there if I needed it for something. Again, I don't know if that's included on the newer models or not.

Great video; it's nice to see all the different new models side by side. I'm looking forward to more gear review/overview videos from you guys in the future.

TWall13. The elastic pockets on top are nice. This is where I keep my lens cloth and calls (game calls on top). There is a zipped mesh pocket on the back of my model, where I keep my license. I think that may have replaced the one in back of the harness and can see how one would fit there.

twall13

WKR
TWall13. The elastic pockets on top are nice. This is where I keep my lens cloth and calls (game calls on top). There is a zipped mesh pocket on the back of my model, where I keep my license. I think that may have replaced the one in back of the harness and can see how one would fit there.

My older model has the zippered mesh pocket on the back of the pack as well. It also has another mesh pocket on the harness itself.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
I have an older model, with the clips instead of the bungee. I love it except I really wish the bungee model had been out when I got it. I keep everything I wanna be able to get to without taking my pack off in it. Right pocket had a havalon and blades and a lighter. Left has wind check. Back has tags and usually a map of some kind. Front picket in front of the bino pouch is where my gps rides. Basement holds a headlamp. Awesome rig for sure. The bungee closure is the only thing I wish I had on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tirving

FNG
I got the Alaska Guide with Max pocket. I have to say that this bino harness is extremely well-made and the hook and bungee system is awesome. I also have to recommend the bino harness system. Can you make your own? Yup, but for the $10 it cost, it's worth it to keep you binos tethered while being able to unclip them easily if needed.
Here's what I have in my pack:
10X50 binos
range finder
license and tags
wind checker bottle
GPS
Jimmy tarps bino harness L rain cover
Firesteel
Headlamp
Multitool
And there's room for a couple of calls if needed

MattB

WKR
I bought one and don't like it nearly as much as the Kuiu I use. I wanted to love the maxx pocket and zipper pocket on the back for tags, but for me it is a lot harder for me to get the binocs in and out compared to the Kuiu and that is what matters most.

tirving

FNG
I bought one and don't like it nearly as much as the Kuiu I use. I wanted to love the maxx pocket and zipper pocket on the back for tags, but for me it is a lot harder for me to get the binocs in and out compared to the Kuiu and that is what matters most.
Did you buy the buckle or hook and bungee set-up. I don't have an issue with speed at all. I couldn't fit everything I wanted into the kuiu bino pack.

Cub10

Lil-Rokslider
I use the KISS model w/max pocket. Love this harness! What i like the most is that they are completely covered/protected from dust/dirt.

Like others I'm really pleased with my AGC case.
First I owned a gen 1 with the buckle release and it was really good. pry an 8.5 out of 10. So I sold that one off when I saw the new updated bungee style CUB MAX. That upgraded my score to pry a 9 - 9.5 out of 10.
only a couple dream requests:
Buckles seem a little cheap. but then again I'm used to Kifaru buckles. I replace them with auto-locks so not a big deal. Just wish it was standard equipment.
Glad gen 2 made the front pocket a little bigger to accommodate a wider variety of rangefinders. also wish they had a tether similar to the FMF tether as standard/optional equipment.
While I'm on the subject of rangefinders. I really wish there was a dedicated spot for one. I know you can make the front pocket work, but it just doesn't seem like its made for the purpose and its not really quickly accessible. My ultimate dream design would be a FMF rangefinder style pouch sewn to the side that would replace one of the side pouches depending on if you are right handed or left handed.

MattB

WKR
Did you buy the buckle or hook and bungee set-up. I don't have an issue with speed at all. I couldn't fit everything I wanted into the kuiu bino pack.

No, but neither would help. My eyes are narrowish so my binoculars are a bit "taller" than many guys, and the opening to the case just wasn't big enough for easy in so I sold it. A zippered pouch on the front of the kuiu would be nice.

Old thread revival:
I bought a Kodiak CUB max this year and used it first time today. I have the hydration pouch for it too and had it set up that way originally but too that off today and put on the shoulder harness only. Seems fine except the pouch hangs too low even with the strap shortened all the way and then the tether straps have to be lengthened out a bit so I'm not lifting the pouch up when looking through the binoculars, but after that adjustment if I let the binoculars hang from the tethers they are below the pouch and nearly hitting me in the nuts. The tri-glide that the tether threads through is too low. I'm thinking of cutting the buckle strap loose and resewing about 2 inches higher on the shoulder harness, that should provide enough adjustment room.

Anyone else have problems with the length, hangs too low, almost on my stomach instead of on the chest? It's pretty secure and wasn't flopping around any and I like the extra pockets. I have an FHF to compare to and fortunately they use the same buckles on the tether straps so I can swap binoculars when needed without having to change straps.

rm06

WKR
I too have a recently acquired Kodiak CUB with MAX pocket and I'm also coming off a FHF. I really want to like the Kodiak and I think I will succeed though it is a bit of an adjustment. Having all the available storage means I will fill it which in itself isn't bad but it will make it heavier to be sure. The weight doesn't bother me but I sure do notice it without my pack on.

I thought I liked having my bino pack high on my chest but the flap would always get in the way and often make extracting my binocs more difficult, especially when seated. This isn't a problem with the Kodiaks though I do find the lining material in the main pouch isn't as slick as what I'm used to and it takes a bit more effort to pull the binocs out but it is silent. I'm also not using the straps that connect the binocs to the harness, I have a loop of paracord tied to them which makes it easier to mount to my tripod without having to fiddle with time squeeze buckles while wearing gloves.

The harness is awesome and really shines when stuffed full of gear. I've hunted pronghorn so far this year with it and have an archery deer tag to fill yet so it'll get more use

Last edited: