Should I go the 12x route?

cscalvin

Lil-Rokslider
I'm contemplating selling my zeiss 15x and cabelas hd 10x and substituting them with the vortex razor 12x. Does this make sense or not? I would be saving 3lbs in weight and only have to worry about one pair of binos for everything. Just looking for some feedback, thanks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm contemplating selling my zeiss 15x and cabelas hd 10x and substituting them with the vortex razor 12x. Does this make sense or not? I would be saving 3lbs in weight and only have to worry about one pair of binos for everything.

You're not carrying both the 15's and 10's at the same time, are you??

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
first post here!

I have a pair of 10x42's that mostly stay in the truck all the time. For most hunts I carry a set of the Cabelas/Meopta binos in 12x50 and a Vortex Razor 11-33x50. To me this is a pretty good set up for weight and power. I have been happy with the 12's and think they are a good versatile compromise to combine the qualities between the 10's and 15's. Since you are already carrying a tripod for the 15's the smaller spotter is a good addition if you decide to go with some 12's. The Vortex Kaibab 15x56 weigh 43oz and the 11-33x50 spotter weighs 25oz.

Not sure if this helps, but this is what I came up with when deciding between 15's or the 12's

OP
cscalvin

cscalvin

Lil-Rokslider
You're not carrying both the 15's and 10's at the same time, are you??

I am! In addition to that, I carry a 20-60 razor, so optics are weighing me down. I always enjoyed using the 15xs because I can see way out there, and then using the 10s for stalking.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am! In addition to that, I carry a 20-60 razor, so optics are weighing me down. I always enjoyed using the 15xs because I can see way out there, and then using the 10s for stalking.

Eeeeesh!

If I was carrying 15's, I wouldn't be carrying 10's. And if I was carrying 10's, I wouldn't be carrying 15's........especially with a spotter as well. I have 8x32's, 10x42's, and 15x56's. I NEVER carry more than one pair, and usually don't carry the 15's for hunting. I have a late season trophy deer hunt this year and am debating whether to take the 10's or the 15's with my 82mm spotter. After a few scouting trips I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Obviously 12's are a nice medium between the 10's and 15's........if you plan to continue to carry both.....I'd definitely go with the 12's.;)

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow optics are weighting you down. No way I'd carry them all. I need you to talk my partner into carrying two binoculars and a spotter then I could just borrow a pair when we stopped to glass

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No way I'd go with just 15's as my only bino. It's really inefficient glassing closer than ~600-700 yds IMO.

Here's how I'd go about it. For example, I'm hunting coues this year, and I just want a medium buck, not concerned about score. I'm going to take 10's and 15's w/ a good tripod. Will be doing a ton of hiking. Spotter will stay at home.

But, when I spend my Colorado points for muleys in a couple years, I'm going to be picky about what I'm shooting so i'll need a spotter. Still plan on doing a lot of hiking. The 15's will probably stay home and i'll go with 10's and spotter. Or this is where a 12x will really be handy, as you still have some field of view you don't get with a 15x but can still cover some big country and find a bedded buck.

If I could only have one combo I'd do 12's and a spotter for hunting big country like most of us probably do. But the 10's and 15's have their place. Try the Cabela Euro HD 12's.

ianpadron

WKR
I ran 12x50s all of last year and unless you're using a tripod for them...they suck.

I'd roll with 8 or 10x42s and 15x56s with a tripod. Leave the scope at home unless weight doesn't matter or you're hunting some really open country.

Can't think of a time that I "NEED" more than 15x magnification where I hunt in Washington state...which is why I usually end up calling my 15-45 spotting scope some pretty mean things on most hunts.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Cgeb

WKR
Canon Image Stabilized Bino's. Image stabilization is like going from an old tube TV with rabbit ear's for an antenna, to an Ultra HD 4K TV.

WRO

WKR
I ran 12x50s all of last year and unless you're using a tripod for them...they suck.

I'd roll with 8 or 10x42s and 15x56s with a tripod. Leave the scope at home unless weight doesn't matter or you're hunting some really open country.

Can't think of a time that I "NEED" more than 15x magnification where I hunt in Washington state...which is why I usually end up calling my 15-45 spotting scope some pretty mean things on most hunts.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Good 12s or cheap 12's?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The EL 12s are the shit, been using them exclusively for the last couple years. Anything you can see with 15s, you can see with 12s.

I guess the shakey thing depends on the person. I've had no real issues other than when I'm sucking wind but then all bino's shake:)

OP
cscalvin

cscalvin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. For some reason, if I don't take my spotter, I feel handicapped. Maybe should just throw it in the wife's pack without telling her. As far as the 12xs, I can pick up razor 12s for around $1000... Are the swaros worth the extra $1800? I'm not scared to throw down on optics, but just want to make sure I'm spending it wisely. Thanks

dotman

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. For some reason, if I don't take my spotter, I feel handicapped. Maybe should just throw it in the wife's pack without telling her. As far as the 12xs, I can pick up razor 12s for around $1000... Are the swaros worth the extra $1800? I'm not scared to throw down on optics, but just want to make sure I'm spending it wisely. Thanks

On swaro a it is always money spent well. Look for demos first.

Hunter6

WKR
I just recently upgraded from leupood 10x to swaro 12x and the difference is night and day. Very happy with the decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireguy

WKR
I love my Swaro 15's. They are amazing. That said I'm strongly considering the 12s and have them be my only pair of binos. Right now I have the 15s in the pack and 8x32s around the neck.

bates

WKR
I love my Swaro 15's. They are amazing. That said I'm strongly considering the 12s and have them be my only pair of binos. Right now I have the 15s in the pack and 8x32s around the neck.

I would keep the 8x32

I have both el 12's and 8x32's

I can get by probably 70% of the time with the 12's but the 8x32 are handy and have their place.

Rizzy

WKR
I would trade the 10's for 8's and keep the 15's. As far as what to carry, depends on the trip. I am carrying 15's, 8's and a 60mm spotter for scouting. The 15's actually seem to outperform my mid/low end spotter for finding game. When the season opens, I will replace the spotter with a weapon for Elk and solo deer hunts.