Vortex Viper vs Leupold VX2

three5x5s

WKR
My ELK hunting buddy has hit some really ruff times and is in real need of a new scope. So I.m thinking of helping him out. He has a 30-06 and I'm looking at these 2 scopes as they can both be found around $350. Want to stay with a 4-12 or so. What's your pick and why.
Vortex Viper 4-12x40 PA and the Leupold VX2 4-12x40
Thanks

kicker338

WKR
Kind of a toss up, the only thing that would sway me on this one would be the vortex warrenty. As for helping him out, if your buying the guy a new scope, my hats off to you, great move on your part. A lot of people have sympathy for others in need but when it comes to helping them out that's where the sympathy stops.

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
I got my first Elk 30 years ago this year. He was hunting in the same area and had horses, I did not. I thought There is no way this guy will help an out of stater but I ask anyway. He hauled out my Elk for nothing. We have been friends ever science. He and his family have visited me here in Ky. And we have visited him. Hes a good friend.

Jimbob

WKR
Weight matters to me big time, what is the weight difference between the two? Just got a couple new guns and wanted to like the Vortex but looking at them side by side at Cabelas and such the leupold wins for me. Optically hard to tell a difference in store but Leupold is just a nicer cleaner design. I found the Vortex to be chunky when the leupold was just plain elegant and sleek. Ended buying an ultralight 3-9x33 and a 2-7x33

Last edited:

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I'd vote for Leupold but I'm a Golden Ring fanboy so... Their warranty can't be beat.

OP
three5x5s

three5x5s

WKR
Update. Ordered both scopes. Vortex Viper 4-12X40 PA BDC from Optics Planet w/discount code it was $284 shipped. Leupold VX2 4-12X40 BDC w/ flip up caps from e-bay, $285.00 shipped. I'll ship him both and let him return to me his 2nd choice. I haven't opened the Leupold yet but I did check out the Vortex. The Parallax nob was frozen, couldn't move it either direction. Called Vortex, They said they would send me a return shipping label and I could return it, said they had had a few with to much glue on them and asked if I would try a little more force to break the glue. I wrapped a leather glove around the nob, Pliers and with a little force it broke lose. Works fine now. Really nice people to deal with. I'll try and get them both out at the same time for a comparison. Thanks for all the advice.

Jimbob

WKR
Wow really cool of you, especially giving him the choice. I am always happy when someone buys me gear but I am also a gear head so i am pretty particular about stuff. Super practical that you give him the choice and he can pick what he likes best. Good job.

I had a viper for a few years and this past winter UPGRADED to a VX 2 and it was a big jump in optics for me. My friend was letting me borrow a VX 2 4-12 on another rifle before I decided what scope to get and I had a hard time with the VX 2 in that power range. For some reason I just struggled without parallax adjustment and hitting consistent on target shot to shot. Wasn't the gun because once I put a VX 3 on with Adjustable Objective same loads sucked right in to touching shots. It might be my eyes but vortex is always a little cloudy and doesn't have the clarity especially at distance. I had the 4-16x44 HSLR viper model in 30mm tube.

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I have one Leupy VX3 and two Vortex Viper PSTs. For a hunting scope I like the Leupold better. It's a nice thing you are doing for your friend.