What scope to get?

ncstewart

WKR
First off I have only ever used 3x9 with duplex reticle. That being said 300 yards is as far as I've ever shot.
So I'm trying to get things lined up for some western hunts in the near future and wondering what power scopes y'all use and what reticle for max range of 450?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
I have no problem shooting at 400 yds and hitting 8" steel with a 2-7x33 Leupold. What I have found to help my shooting at longer ranges is:

1. having a dial on the scope
2. Reloading

Once I started reloading I started shooting more and getting thinking more about bullet performance. This gave me WAY more knowledge about my bullet and gun and with the added shooting gave me a bunch of confidence. Knowing my bullet speed, having a ballistics calculator on my phone, and a moa dial on my scope means 400 yds doesn't seem so far know.

GKPrice

Banned
If you can swing it I'd get a swarovski Z3 3-10x42 with the 4a reticle, sure do like mine.

Swarovski makes a nice albeit expensive scope line - Leupold, on the other hand, a VX3i in 3.5 x 10 x 40mm can be had for somewhere in the mid $400's depending on where you find it and what kind of sale is going on - they used to put a WIDE DUPLEX in as a standard option but I'm not sure they still do but out to 600 yards it's all any big game hunter really needs in a very durable, well designed and made,bright as day & LIGHTWEIGHT scope that has the best warranty you will never need in the industry - Dialing your scope for distance is all the rage these days BUT if you learn to hold where you want to hit, at REASONABLE ranges first you'll be a better marksman for it IMO

CorbLand

WKR
Leupold Vx2 3-9X40. Works like a charm and is very fair priced. Get the CDS if you want to not deal with hold over.

mrjohn12

FNG
I have a Leupold 3x9, which I wouldn't recommend if you're really into long range shooting. Get at least a 4x12 or so. I got to try out a nice scoped rifle with one of the better mildot/hunter holdover reticles with the different yardages on cross hairs. Really liked it. (Can't remember what Leupold calls their version of this, but you'll find it on their website.)

You should be able to shoot at 450 with a 3-9. I would probably want a 12x or so for 450. There are tons of options in that range. I like Vortex stuff, and picked up a Nikon prostaff 5 on sale (4.5-18) that honestly i'm a bit worried about being too much reach. Id rather have clear glass with less magnification that ugly glass with a ton.

For reticles, personally I enjoy any variation of a BDC reticle. Nice dash marks that you can go out and practice and know your distances, I never really give much to what the destructions say each mark is yardage wise, just go shoot it until I know with that scope/rifle combo. BDC is simple, keeps your viewing area clean, and gibves you some holdover.

edit* looks like this post got bumped from the grave