Marsupial Gear bino harness?

The neodymium magnets they use are the best magnets in the world. They are coated with a chemical (neodymium) that makes them incredibly strong.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what I meant to say - will my binos stay in the case not if but when a rodeo goes down?!
I did a small test last night and short answer is a couple hard bucks probably wouldn't dislodge them but extended hard jolts would seems like the magnets slip a tiny bit each time so eventually they lose thier holding power.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also tested my GPS and compass against the harness magnets. Seems like YES the magnetic pull does effect them both within about 18 inches pass that distance they function like normal. It's definitely something to be aware of. Really a none issue for me as I have long arms and normal holding position is past the magnetic field

I also tested my GPS and compass against the harness magnets. Seems like YES the magnetic pull does effect them both within about 18 inches pass that distance they function like normal. It's definitely something to be aware of. Really a none issue for me as I have long arms and normal holding position is past the magnetic field

How does it affect them? I emailed garmin about both a garmin oregon and inreach se and they thought it wouldn't be a problem, but mentioned the inreach must be uncovered (not in chest pack) to talk to the iridium network.

mrgreen

WKR
In my experience, the GPS will only be effected when using it in 'Compass' mode. I had some annoying moments with my Garmin Montana attached to a HPG chestpack that contained a pistol.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes GPS compass was drawn to the magnets unless it was beyond 16" or so away

That would be a real bastard if you forgot in the woods.

I hold my compass right by my belly button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky, what size pack did you get? I have the same binoculars, not sure which size pack I need to go with.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be a real bastard if you forgot in the woods.

I hold my compass right by my belly button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a quick update on this issue. I was out and had my GPS dummy corded to the back pocket of my back pack. This made it pretty inconvenient to hold as the cord was short. Anyway I was in a area I've never been to before and was using it to find the shortest line back. I was walking thinking man I should be going this other way but following my GPS. Yep magnets pulled the needle because I had to keep the GPS close to pouch due to a short dummy cord. It's definitely something to test out for yourself and find the buffer distance needed.
That said the marsupial is my favorite binocular harness design I've tried.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
realunlucky, what size pack did you get? I have the same binoculars, not sure which size pack I need to go with.
Sorry Tim I just saw this. I don't remember but I emailed them for thier opinion and got it. They said they would exchange with no problem if it didn't work.
Edited it's got a S tag inside the pouch

Last edited:

daddie63

WKR
It's been my favorite bino pack as well. For me, it's almost like I don't feel it on and that's with a bit heavier glass 10x50 SLC' s.

GPATTI

WKR
This is a dated thread, but check out the Outdoor Vision RIDGETOP harness at outdoorvisiongear.com. It is dialed in.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a dated thread, but check out the Outdoor Vision RIDGETOP harness at outdoorvisiongear.com. It is dialed in.
Post up some pictures and lay out your favorite features. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect harness