LEICA warranty repair. my experience. and it's good!!

boom

WKR
i went and hunted unit D-15 here in CA. it is a brutal unit and if you want a deer, you have to hunt your butt off..that means climbing away from people. that is what i did. and then it rained and turned the area into slop.

someway, somehow i killed my Leica 10x50 Ultravids. i got home and it looked like dragged a diamond across the front lens. after i wiped the tears from my eyes, i drove 2 hours to the shop i bought them from. (glad i shopped at a brick and mortar shop, not online). the shop manager cringed when he saw my binoculars. he tried to make me feel better by offering me kudos on actually putting them to use. i paid $25 dollars for the shipping insurance, muttered a prayer and he sent them to Germany. he said, "this could take a while" he also added that since he sells so much Leica, he is 50/50 on if i will get reamed on the cost of repair, or if it will be free.

in the meantime i pulled my old Pentax glass out and kept up with hunting. they SUCKED. in NM, i found zero deer. the dim glass sucked. low light was no light. i was hunting blind. thank goodness my brother had Vortex Razors and could point me to deer. hahah. AZ is coming up, and i was going to buy some Razors for myself as backup.

my phone JUST RANG!! my binoculars are back in walnut creek at the shop. fixed, cleaned, dolled up. (i hope and pray my bino stud is still installed) i am stoked!! saved me $1000 in the nick of time from buying the Razors!! timing is everything. shop manager said they are perfect again.

everyone questions Leica warranty..so far so good for me.

kpk

WKR
good to hear. I bought a pair of the discontinued trinovids when they were on closeout. Read a lot before I purchased and it sounds like their warranty service used to be pretty bad but they've really stepped up their game over the last couple years.

AGPank

WKR
Was there a fee? I would think some cost for replacing lenses.

Any lessons learned on protection during a tough hunt like that?

OP
B

boom

WKR
Was there a fee? I would think some cost for replacing lenses.

Any lessons learned on protection during a tough hunt like that?

it's a two hour drive (w traffic) to get the things. i'll head down friday to couple the event with date-night with the wife. the guy said no charge, so i assume no fee. cost me the $25 for postal insurance earlier.

second part? i am flummoxed. i used the FHF bino pouch, and i EVEN used the front factory lens caps. maybe next time on the climb up, i am putting them into my pack. dunno. i thought i was careful.

OP
B

boom

WKR
i couldnt stand it anymore. i faked a fever and ditched the second half of the work day.

i picked it up and it is perfect. they cleaned everything..even the other 3 lenses. :) the technician didnt toss my tripod stud..thankfully. i imagined a German tech could compare that stud to drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

i wrapped it up and put it into the safe. i am going with all lens caps from now on. damn the inconvenience.

AGPank

WKR
I've played around with butler creek scope caps over the objectives. The concept works, but they weren't very durable. The new Vortex ones may work, but at $20 each...

I bought some for some 8x32, then sold that pair.