iPhone 7 digiscoping

New iPhone 7 came as part of Christmas. I had picked up a used phone skope for my old phone at a very reasonable price because, well...my phone was old and I'm sure the original owner of my phone skope had moved on to a newer phone. I was just bouncing around the web looking at a new phone skope that would hold my new iPhone 7. Those pieces of plastic are a little pricey when they're new.

Has anyone used any of the cheaper universal digiscoping adapters? I'm only shooting pictures for myself, not publication or anything. I don't need perfection. I just want to avoid aggravation. Are any of those cheaper ones any good? Or do you buy one, swear at it repeatedly, break it, try to convince yourself that "You didn't waste 'that much money'" and then go buy the more expensive one that you looked at first?

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Was listening to a Jay Scott outdoors podcast with Phoneskope a few nights ago and they were talking about the unique nature of the Iphone 7 with the two cameras. I guess the adapter is a little more advanced for the Iphone 7, but they said it was awesome at digiscoping.

OP
O
That's the 7+ it's bigger and has two lenses. The 7 only has one. I don't know how the heck they could accommodate side by side lenses for digiscoping. I'd think you'd have to pick one, position the phone accordingly and go with that.

Last edited:

ontarget7

WKR
It's going to be tough to beat the PhoneSkope to be honest. Fit and function are what sets them apart. They make sure eye relief is correct for optimal picture quality.

CorbLand

WKR
Universal adapters are awesome for being able to fit any phone or scope that you want them to. They fail at being easily set up. That is where the Phone Skopes come into play, they snap on easily and everything is lined up and ready to go.

ontarget7

WKR
PhoneSkope does have universal adaptors that will accommodate a range of different spotters or bino sizes. I prefer the fixed ones myself by them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bwana

WKR
I always use the phone specific adapter, and haven't personally used the universal models...I've heard both good and bad reports on them. If your intended scope stays in play for 5-7 years let's say, then you only need the phone case replaced when you update/replace your phone....so it's pretty reasonably priced really.

The scope fit is pretty critical for solid operation, but great pictures can be taken...pretty amazing how bright pictures are in low light conditions, and definitely look into the remote shutter operation for your phone...most are volume/Bluetooth thru the earphone jack.

ontarget7

WKR
It's the way to go
9cf795b0cecf60789918ea5ca52ec19c.jpg

ontarget7

WKR
I still prefer the fixed
I have an adapter for a variety of Spotters but that particular one in the pic is for binos.
PhoneSkope stuff is tough to beat.

OP
O
Thanks guys. I picked up my Phone Skope used. I may be able to just purchase the phone case portion to accommodate the new phone. I'll follow up to see if the attachment for the adapter is the same from 4-6 years ago.

I appreciate your input. My gut and my personal experiences led me to suspect that the $20 Amazon or EBay adapters would end up not being a bargain.

Bwana

WKR
You'll be happy with the product, just set the eye relief and focus the scope...then plug the PS on the eye piece, and zoom in the camera screen till "full frame"...then no need to focus the scope again, unless object distance changes dramatically.

Good luck, have fun

rbljack

WKR
I will be in the market for a new phoneskope myself...Iphone 7 plus on the way. Upgraded from a 4s this year....so hopefully my picture quality will increase through the Razor HD 65mm spotter. I wasn't too impressed with the 4S picture quality.

OP
O
Out of idle curiosity, I'll ask that you please post up how that dual lens on the 7+ works for digiscoping. I imagine that might be problematic.

I won't be replacing my phone anytime soon ( I hope. ) and my first concern isn't digiscoping, but it's something to consider if dual lens cameras become common on phones in the future.

CorbLand

WKR
Would highly suggesting getting the shutter button. When you tap your phone to take a picture it bounces the phone and scope, thus you don't get a good picture.

mtnkid85

WKR
Hey guys, Im needing to replace my phone and wanted to hear an update from anyone using the dual camera 7+ for digiscoping. I really do not want the larger phone but would possibly consider it if it took markedly better photos.

I dont know if its possible but I would love to get better clarity for longer distance shots.

Here are a few images from my current setup which is an iPhone 6 with phoneskope adapters on my Zeiss Diascope 85mm.
These coyotes where just over 1 mile.
17388950_10154212926131782_4603248789150202754_o.jpg

This buck was only ~1/2 a mile
13920521_10153614865576782_354267734815037203_o.jpg

And this one was 1 3/4mile.
17311307_10154212915896782_1476207413938369378_o.jpg

I would love to be able to get more clarity out of these images. Those three images are the best of several that I take of each of those animals. And they still aren't great.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure why guys have a $600 phone and a $2,300 spotter, with untold amounts of money in other gear, but they can't fork out the $50 for the phone skope. Lol!

I use an iPhone 7 and take another 6 as a backup to use with the phone scope. For filming or pictures, for the love of baby Jesus, quit using the stock phone app. Go spend $10 on the app called Filmic Pro. It lets you lock the focus so the phone isn't searching. Manual or auto set the white balance, and ISO. The newest update has a ton of custom affects to correct. This is great when the phone is on the spotter.

Don't forget a battery backup for charging in the field. iPhone is dead after a bit when running the camera. I've got two of these Anker batteries (link). You're good for 6-8 full charges on the phone without needing a solar panel or plugging up to the truck.

Amazon.com: Anker PowerCore Speed 10000 QC, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 Portable Charger with Power IQ, Power Bank for Samsung, iPhone, iPad and More: Cell Phones & Accessories

For those that do use a phoneskope. Do you find the circular portion attached to the case annoying? My phone is my personal/work phone so it's always on me and I cannot stand the phoneskope (was an older model) due to that circular piece.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
For those that do use a phoneskope. Do you find the circular portion attached to the case annoying? My phone is my personal/work phone so it's always on me and I cannot stand the phoneskope (was an older model) due to that circular piece.

Meh. Mine is only on the phone when I'm going to hook to the spotter. I don't use it as edc case.