12x50 Binocular Options

AGPank

WKR
I've considered getting a pair of 12x50 binoculars. Use would be for open save country in Colorado and some bird watching I do.

I'm sure e Swarovski ELs are at the top of the performance, but more than I want to spend for the use they will get ($2k).

I'd like to stay with 12x vs 15x so some off hand use could be possible.

Right now I'm considering Leica Ultravid HD 12x50
Some closeout pricing around $1,500
299' FOV
35.3 oz
(Edited FOV and weight, I had wrong numbers, I think these are correct)

Meopta Meostar HD 12x50
Pricing $1,100-1,300
279' FOV
37.4oz

I've owned Meostar 10x42 HDs and like them. I also have the 2015 Trinovid 10x42. I'm familiar with both companies and I guess I'm leaning toward the Leica for the better FOV and slight weight.

Meopta has the transferable warranty and threaded tripod adapter.

Other companies I should look at in this offering?

Last edited:

Bwana

WKR
In that price range I'd have a look at Vortex 12x50 Razor HD's for $1200...reviews were pretty good, eye relief is 15.5mm tho.

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
I've had 8x42 and 10x42 Razors HDs. They were better than my Viper HDs of the time, but had some minor items that made me feel like I was looking for more. The emblem on the focus wheel came unglued and was a cheap part. Some paint peeled off the body. I contacted Vortex to see if o could buy touch up paint and they didn't have anything. Made me want to drive over them with my truck for a replacement.

I hear all these VIP warranty statements and they don't have touch up paint. I feel
Like the Razor line is 20-25% overpriced.

The Leica, Swarovski, and Meopta I've used felt like better build quality.

dotman

WKR
I don't think you can go wrong with your current options, maybe wait for a cabelas sale as they had a good one in nov on the rebranded meopta.

Bwana

WKR
I've had 8x42 and 10x42 Razors HDs. They were better than my Viper HDs of the time, but had some minor items that made me feel like I was looking for more. The emblem on the focus wheel came unglued and was a cheap part. Some paint peeled off the body. I contacted Vortex to see if o could buy touch up paint and they didn't have anything. Made me want to drive over them with my truck for a replacement.

I hear all these VIP warranty statements and they don't have touch up paint. I feel
Like the Razor line is 20-25% overpriced.

The Leica, Swarovski, and Meopta I've used felt like better build quality.

I'd agree with everything you said about Vortex :)...just offering products in your price range. Personally I'd go after the Leica Ultravid HD if the eye relief isn't an issue for you, or keep an eye open for used Swaro 12x50's

If it were my money I would save to buy the Swaro EL's. If you waited longer, but got those, you won't ever wonder if there is anything better out there.

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the Meopta 12x50s and like them alot. Great buy for big quality glass. I liked them better than the 12x50 razors i compared them to.

Meopta glass really punches out of its price range (unlike the Razors). The Swarovski and Leica binos do have an advantage, but it's not by a lot. I think edge to edge clarity is the biggest difference between them. I have Meopta 10x32 and 15x56. I'm swapping the 15s for 12s this year, and going Meopta again. At one point I planned on a full Leica swap, but my Meopta glass continues to impress me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Anyone have experience with the Canon Image Stabilized binos in the big glass? I see they make a 15x50.

Bwana

WKR
I checked out the lower power 10x42, pretty nice...everything I hear is in the next 5 years technology is going to jump tremendously, better to wait on the auto focus/stabilization versions for now.

I see a guy on another site has a BNIB pair of Leica Ultravid HD 12x50's for $1450 and dropping...I have no affiliation with him, no nothing of his rep.

twall13

WKR
If you are looking for other options priced similar to the Meoptas I'd take a look at some Mavens as well.

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
I checked out the lower power 10x42, pretty nice...everything I hear is in the next 5 years technology is going to jump tremendously, better to wait on the auto focus/stabilization versions for now.

I see a guy on another site has a BNIB pair of Leica Ultravid HD 12x50's for $1450 and dropping...I have no affiliation with him, no nothing of his rep.

I've always been concerned about electronics in the field and either having it fail or get outdated. I'm still curious how it will play out.

I saw those binos and I'm interested. The seller had 0 feedback so it would take some talks to gain purchase confidence. I'm working through an issue on something I bought on eBay that the seller didn't deliver. That resolution is going to impact my purchase.

Bwana

WKR
Yes, he has zero feedback...lowball his azz, and DON'T PAY GIFTED/FRIENDS & FAMILY....PayPal and credit card will double protect the purchase. Ask him to provide feedback from other sites, heck even ebay. It's been on a while, he'll come down :)

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
If you are looking for other options priced similar to the Meoptas I'd take a look at some Mavens as well.

I keep hearing good reviews on the mavens. Not sure the 11x45 provide the difference over the 10x42's to justify a separate pair and not sure I want to jump to 15's.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have 12 by 50 razors. I look through lots of glass at Bass Pro and the ones I saw put me on the razors. My comment on the VIP warranty, is that I'm not going to sweat some touch-up paint, the question is whether they would make them functional again. And, I've never heard anything bad about vortex in that regard.

twall13

WKR
I keep hearing good reviews on the mavens. Not sure the 11x45 provide the difference over the 10x42's to justify a separate pair and not sure I want to jump to 15's.
Sorry I must have been half asleep when I recommended the Mavens. For some reason I had it in my head you were after 15x's even though I recall you saying you wanted 12's so you can free hand them some. If you are after a 12x50 then the Mavens might not be as good a fit at 11 power...

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would search for buying a used pair of Swarovski 12x50's. That will get closer to your price range. I have had mine for years and they don't wear out and there isn't any brand that is comparable.

I have not had Leica or swaro 12s but have had their 10s and you won't be disappointed in either since they are the top two. I have had razor 12s and they were alright. The binos I am running now are the Maven 11s and they are awesome. Above razor quality and under Leica and swaro. If you can find used Swaro's get them

OP
A

AGPank

WKR
Sorry I must have been half asleep when I recommended the Mavens. For some reason I had it in my head you were after 15x's even though I recall you saying you wanted 12's so you can free hand them some. If you are after a 12x50 then the Mavens might not be as good a fit at 11 power...

You were right, they have a 12x56. I had seen the 11x45 and didn't know the bigger model was a 12 too. I thought it was 15x only.

They are heavy at 48oz. It would be an interesting unit if they were able to squeeze more than 289' FOV.