Review: Vortex Gen II Razor HD 27-60X Spotting Scope, by Jared Bloomgren

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide staffer Jared Bloomgren spends a lot of time behind the glass so when he reviews an optic, I listen up.

Here is his review of Vortex's new Razor HD spotting scope. Give it a read. Jared will be on the thread so if you have any other questions or comments, post them up.

Review: Vortex Gen II Razor HD 27-60X Spotting Scope

Last edited:

AGPank

WKR
Are the eyepieces interchangeable? Would someone be able to have the old spotter and get the new wide angle zoom?

Tex68w

WKR
Thanks for the review, makes me feel better about my recent purchase. I do agree that they are heavy but that seems to be par for the course on the Razor line of products from Vortex.

Great review. It's interesting that the new 85mm scope is nearly the same weight but the 65mm scope gained 1/2 pound.

I’m trying to choose between
I found the older 85mm razor for $900 67oz
Maven cs1 package with tripod $900 40oz
Kowa 77mm $2300 56oz (pricey)

Back and Forth between pack ability and magnification. I’ll also be carrying Maven b6 12x50

Any advice? Or recommendations

Wasn’t looking at the Vortex but I would think the 85mm for 900 is allot of bang for the buck even if it’s the old model

68Plexi

WKR
Can’t speak to the Kowa, but I have a gen 1 vortex razor 20-60x85 and the optical quality is far better than the Maven cs1. They aren’t really apples to apples. The cs1 would be more comparable to the razor 11-33x50 in size and magnification. The 85 razor is much larger and much heavier.

I own two pair of maven binoculars (B1 and B2) and love them, but I did not like the clarity of glass in cs1 spotter. I don’t personally like mavens c series binoculars either. Some people love them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m trying to choose between
I found the older 85mm razor for $900 67oz
Maven cs1 package with tripod $900 40oz
Kowa 77mm $2300 56oz (pricey)

Back and Forth between pack ability and magnification. I’ll also be carrying Maven b6 12x50

Any advice? Or recommendations
Of the three that you have mentioned I really think it is obvious to go with the Vortex out of the three. That is a steal of a deal at $900! Although it is not ideal I have taken that spotter into the high country of Wyoming after Mule deer. It sucked getting it there because of the large size and weight but once I had it on top of the peaks it was absolutely amazing!

You will also love carrying the Maven B612x50s!

Of the three that you have mentioned I really think it is obvious to go with the Vortex out of the three. That is a steal of a deal at $900! Although it is not ideal I have taken that spotter into the high country of Wyoming after Mule deer. It sucked getting it there because of the large size and weight but once I had it on top of the peaks it was absolutely amazing!

You will also love carrying the Maven B612x50s!
I think your right. I don’t own a big eye. The kowas look awesome. But my mavens are kind of awesome too. I definitely won’t carry the b85mm much but as a truck spotter could be awesome