Tripod heads: Anybody use a 700RC2 and switch?

I'm currently using a Manfrotto 700RC2 fluid head for use with my binoculars and 62mm Leica spotter.
I really like the head, but it is a little heavy. I switched to smaller handle to shave some weight, but it's still a bulky and heavier head. I've played a little with a ball head and a 2-way pan head made by Slik. I didn't like the ball head, and the pan head was ok, but not as nice a the 700RC2 fluid.

I know the Outdoorsman pan heads are highly touted, but I can't see spending over $300 on it. From my numbers, the 700RC2 is listed at 1.14 pounds or 18.25 ounces, mine might be a little less with the handle swap. I'll have to weigh it one day. The Outdoorsman is listed at around 12 ounces with the adapter plate. I'd save roughly 6-7 ounces. I can't see spending that much on my budget, but I have no idea how good the Outdoorsman really is. Is it that much better?

Anybody have experience with the 700RC2 and switch to something else?
Thanks!

I use the 700rc2 on my glassing set up. I know a lot of people on here like the Benro head, and I believe it's a bit lighter. I was recently able to use the Benro for a few hours, and although it's a good head, the manfrotto is noticeably better. I have used the outdoorsmans at the store, but it was back before I really had much experience with fluid heads so I don't remember much. It does seem that those who get the outdoorsmans head don't regret it.

Bwana

WKR
I started with the 700rc, switched to the 128rc, then to the MVH500...then settled on the Manfrotto BeFree fluid head, which kicked the crap out of the others in weight & versatility.

I had the 700rc2 and switched to the outdoorsmans for two reasons. First I use my phoneskope alot to record my longrange shooting and just taking pictures. I found the 700rc2 to "settle" alot, meaning I'd have to put the image high, tighten the lock and let the head settle or drop to get the image I wanted. The outdoorsmans is hard to get used to after this head because the tension settings are much finer. After getting used to it I enjoy the outdoorsmans.
2nd reason I use two tripods one for filming/spotting and one for my rangefinder. I'm putting the pistol grip head on that tripod. It's best type pistol grip type head of used. You let go of it and it locks right where you want it. I wanted the ability of my spotting scope, binoculars for glassing and rangefinder to all be interchangeable.

OP
F
I had the 700rc2 and switched to the outdoorsmans for two reasons. First I use my phoneskope alot to record my longrange shooting and just taking pictures. I found the 700rc2 to "settle" alot, meaning I'd have to put the image high, tighten the lock and let the head settle or drop to get the image I wanted. The outdoorsmans is hard to get used to after this head because the tension settings are much finer. After getting used to it I enjoy the outdoorsmans.
2nd reason I use two tripods one for filming/spotting and one for my rangefinder. I'm putting the pistol grip head on that tripod. It's best type pistol grip type head of used. You let go of it and it locks right where you want it. I wanted the ability of my spotting scope, binoculars for glassing and rangefinder to all be interchangeable.

That is a valid point regarding the 700RC2. I do find that while panning and up/down movements are very fluid, when I want to lock it down in one spot it's tough to get it exactly where I want it. I still really like the 700, but I'm open to other options. The BeeFree looks nice. Any issues with locking it down in the exact spot like described with the 700? I'm sure the Outdoorsman is nice, but $350 for a head isn't in the cards for me. I have way too many other priorities on where I can use that money....like out of state tags!

TheCougar

WKR
I switched to a 700rc2 and it is big and bulky, especially with the outdoorsmans tripod mount on it. It only weights about an ounce more than the slik head I was using before. The outdoorsman min pan head is nice, but I can't see paying that much for a tripod head when the only improvement is the weight savings. I know that didn't really answer your question... I researched a lot before I bought and my decision came down to the 700 for $90 or the outdoorsman for $270. If money wasn't an issue, I would have gone with the outdoorsman head. Unless you are willing to pay out the nose, I don't think you can do better than the 700.

Bwana

WKR
That is a valid point regarding the 700RC2. I do find that while panning and up/down movements are very fluid, when I want to lock it down in one spot it's tough to get it exactly where I want it. I still really like the 700, but I'm open to other options. The BeeFree looks nice. Any issues with locking it down in the exact spot like described with the 700? I'm sure the Outdoorsman is nice, but $350 for a head isn't in the cards for me. I have way too many other priorities on where I can use that money....like out of state tags!

Your issue with smooth tilt action, and no problem panning is a classic case of mid-matched setups. Meaning you're trying to accomplish 2 tasks(bino & scope)with 1 tripod setup, and meeting perfection will be difficult. All/most tripod heads(fluid/friction)are rated for load capacity, usually a min/max rating...at least the quality mfg's spec them. Your bino use on a 700rc2 with a min rating of #3.2 & max at #5.5, means you have to back the tension gauge (spring loaded counter balance) off so much the unit won't hold it's tilt location. With the scope on the 700rc a sliding quick release plate, you can find the perfect balance point for your scope,,,adjust the tilt drag and it won't sag in the tilt plane.

Not to insult the Outdoorsman products, but many high-end photo/video mfg's have been around longer than them....and have much better products geared towards true professional photographers/vloggers. Take a serious look at Gitzo, Manfrotto, Sirui, Velbon, etc...they have tons of quality heads in many styles to fit hunters needs.

At the end of the day: you'll have to choose which optic's smooth quality operation is most important to you, and buy the head that best suits your weight/balance/budget...or have 2 heads you switch out for bino/scope, as in a quality ball head & fluid video head.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I started with the 700rc, switched to the 128rc, then to the MVH500...then settled on the Manfrotto BeFree fluid head, which kicked the crap out of the others in weight & versatility.

Can you expand on the differences between the 700rc2 and the Befree fluidhead? I have the 700 on a Befree carbon tripod and like the setup. The head could stand to drop some weight though. I could pick up the Befree fluid head from B&H for $99, and that would shave 6 oz by switching heads. But I don't want to go to a crappy fluidhead if the Befree doesn't perform close to the 700.

Bwana

WKR
Can you expand on the differences between the 700rc2 and the Befree fluidhead? I have the 700 on a Befree carbon tripod and like the setup. The head could stand to drop some weight though. I could pick up the Befree fluid head from B&H for $99, and that would shave 6 oz by switching heads. But I don't want to go to a crappy fluidhead if the Befree doesn't perform close to the 700.

The Befree is superior in many ways in my opinion, but that doesn't mean it's perfect for your setup.

1) The Befree has a higher weight rating, and much smoother/softer control fluid components. The tension adjustment is located in the front middle, so you're not forced to operate it with only the left hand(as the 700).
2) The handle assembly and fold away feature is much smaller, so it packs up/away much easier against the tripod body for storage in the pack/pouch.
3)The Befree has the sliding adjustable mounting plate, which lets you move the scope for balance...if you're viewing on steep hills, or adding a digiscoping setup to the eye piece(which massively alters scopes balance point).

Finding the correct head to balance/pan and not sag while using, really comes down to not having to crank the fluid adjustments so tight it won't move. Free flowing the head, whether scoping/digiscoping minimizes the constant adjustments needed because the scope/head aren't matched to the task.

The over all weight, balance point, and balance with digiscoping(if you use 1)....dictates the actual use in the field. B&H Photo allows you to return at no charge, if it doesn't work to your satisfaction...so a free try-out, to see how they work for you. Your exact model scope and size, along with any accessories will always make the "which one is best" a difficult answer. But a correctly fitted head will be a joy to use, with very little fiddling with controls.

Hope this helped,
Eric

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
That's perfect. I may try one.

It looks like the Befree weight rating is higher for video cameras or large dslr. Where the 700 was rated for mid weight dslr. The spotter I have is at the bottom of the 700 rating, so there is some backlash. It's most noticeable when you starts to zoom in further. Something is in the view, and when you let go, now it's not centered or gone. I just overshoot, then relax it. Fine for viewing, but sucks for videoing. It doesn't look like the Befree has a minimum weight, so fluid pressure backlash must not be as big of a problem.

I'm using a Swaro ATS 65. With it in the 700 it's forward heavy with the 200 QD plates. With the Befree 501 plate, I could slide it to the rear to ballance. Right now, the tilt remains locked as I pan to keep from falling forward if I let go of the handle. I'm not a fan of dumping a $2,400 optic on its face. Better balance would be nice.

The tilt control looks interesting. I'm usually grabbing the wrong tilt/ pan control, or the QD plate lock on the 700. This is more of a problem when I'm looking downward and I unlock the tilt. With the heavier front bell, now it's on the forward lean if I'm not hanging onto the handle or scope body. Separating the controls to front and side, I may have a better chance of reaching for the right one.

I like the updated handle. The Befree looks like you'll have more options for a comfortable setup vs the 700. Right now, I use the 700 backwards for everything which puts the fluid controls on the right and the handle pointing downfield.

The biggest plus I see is switching is dropping weight.

Bwana

WKR
You won't have the backlash issues with the Befree, that you would with a MVH500...the minimum weight rating was no joke.

I'm confident once you get the Befree in your hands, you'll be very happy and like the additional improvements. Once again the key is utilizing the fluid head action, if you lock it down it's been defeated in function...may as well have a cheap friction head at that point.

Good luck

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

Totally agree with this... they are great fluid heads for cameras and such. But if you want them to completely lock down especially with weight on them they will eventually start settling.

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 128c on a set of swaro cf legs, and an outdoorsman pan head on an outdoorsman medium tripod. I find myself taking the outdoorsman set up more often because of the weight/compactness, but I much prefer the 128rc head. It is a lot more smooth. I can leave both tensions set where I can tilt and pan smoothly and it will not settle when I stop it with a swaro sets 65 hd on it. The outdoorsman I have to set loose enough that I can't let go of it if I want it to be close to as smooth as the 128rc.

The 128rc also has a secondary lock once the plate is installed. I kind of like that when I put a bunch of money on top of it!

OP
F
To follow up on this thread, I eventually purchased a Befree head and kept it over the 700RC2. It's pretty darn good, maybe not perfect, but I preferred it over the 700. I did try a buddies Outdoorsman Pan head and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I didn't spend much time with it, but knowing how much they cost I expected to be blown away. That was not the case. Maybe a little more time behind it would have helped, but I'll stick with the Befree for now. $100 vs $330....no brainer there.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that no lightweight head is perfect, but I'm happy with the Befree for now.

Bwana

WKR
To follow up on this thread, I eventually purchased a Befree head and kept it over the 700RC2. It's pretty darn good, maybe not perfect, but I preferred it over the 700. I did try a buddies Outdoorsman Pan head and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I didn't spend much time with it, but knowing how much they cost I expected to be blown away. That was not the case. Maybe a little more time behind it would have helped, but I'll stick with the Befree for now. $100 vs $330....no brainer there.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that no lightweight head is perfect, but I'm happy with the Befree for now.

Glad to hear you like it, I think it's a great bang for the buck based on your set up.

Bughalli

WKR
I have the 700RC as well and generally very happy with it. I think I bought it for $40 on eBay. Yet every year I look around for something better, lighter, etc. So far I haven't come up with anything that was enough of an improvement that justified buying a new one. You can shave a few ounces and maybe find a design that's slightly more compact, but the difference is so small it just doesn't warrant a change.