Need spotter help...

Farmer

FNG
I'm in the market for a spotting scope for use at my local range. 600 yards max. Had my mind made up on a Kowa Prominar 884 from web reviews, but it seems the more I read, the more confused I get. There seems to be very limited access to the higher end optics at local retailers, so not much help there.
I was hoping I might get some input here.

Other options:
Zeiss Diascope 85
Meopita Meostar S2

Thanks

Shrek

WKR
The Meopta S2 82mm HD with the 30-60 wide eyepiece is the next best scope to the Swarovski ATX/STX 85 imo. It's a really good deal. I've owned the Meopta S2 , Swarovski ATS 80 HD , and currently own an ATX with both the 85mm and 95mm objectives. The Meopta S2 edged ahead of the ATS 80 HD optically but is close to a half pound heavier. Both are great scopes. The ATX is in another class by itself but is on the heavy side. If the Meopta I had had been an angled instead of straight body I'd have never sold it and never wanted for a better scope. I have the ATX now but the price is hard to justify. If money isn't really an issue then an ATX/STX is the best of the best. If money matters the Meopta S2 is the best deal in a runaway. Don't confuse the Meopta 80 HD for the Meopta S2 82 HD.

The kowa 884 is the best spotting scope made. The ATX is close, but at almost double the price it's a non-brainer. Below is the higher archey of spotters I've had the pleasure to look through

Kowa 884
Swaro ATX 85

Kowa 774
Swaro 80 hd
Zeiss 85
Leica 65
Swaro 65

Zen ED2
Vortex razor 85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
Tipsntails7 , I had the opportunity to look through the Kowa 883 and was not impressed at all. It didn't handle veiling haze from glasing towards a sun low in the western sky well at all . Maybe it was a lemon or the Kowa with its florite crystal lens really shines in perfect glassing conditions but in the field looking at deer in the late afternoon sun it sucked and I could see much better through my Meopta S2. Have you tried the Kowa in the field ?

flashgordon

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased a Kowa 884 and I love this spotter! I agree with tipsntails7 opinion and like wise I've used nearly the same spotters he has including 95mm Swaro. The clarity is unbelievable and I really appreciate the fine/coarse focus. The Kowa replaces my Leica 62 Televid that I regrettably dropped while hunting Idaho this fall. For my eyes the 884 is way better than the Leica and gives up nothing to Swaro 95 at a far better price!

Tipsntails7 , I had the opportunity to look through the Kowa 883 and was not impressed at all. It didn't handle veiling haze from glasing towards a sun low in the western sky well at all . Maybe it was a lemon or the Kowa with its florite crystal lens really shines in perfect glassing conditions but in the field looking at deer in the late afternoon sun it sucked and I could see much better through my Meopta S2. Have you tried the Kowa in the field ?

Yes, you've commented on this before and I believe that you looked through a bad copy of that scope.

I've actually looked through 3 of them outside for substantial periods. I sold my ATS and am finally biting the weight bullet and will be purchasing the 88 this summer.

If I could find the 77 body that didn't cost the same as the 88 I'd buy that, it is still extremely good and is much smaller and lighter than the 88.

But I'm going to grab the 88 and am very interested in the new 55 from kowa as well.

The S2 is a great scope, don't get me wrong, but the 88 class from kowa in my opinion is the best available, and any testing done shows that to be true.

But spotting scopes in general I believe suffer from the greatest quality variance between specimens of almost any optics, Sony's FE mount lenses come a close second though.

VANDAL

WKR
I think you'd be happy with the Nikon field scopes...maybe the 82ED would be best for what your looking for. See link above

OP
F

Farmer

FNG
But spotting scopes in general I believe suffer from the greatest quality variance between specimens of almost any optics, Sony's FE mount lenses come a close second though.

Interesting observation.

Anyway, thanks for the replys all. For better or worse I'm gonna do the Kowa 88 series and hope for the best.

Interesting observation.

Anyway, thanks for the replys all. For better or worse I'm gonna do the Kowa 88 series and hope for the best.

I've read that quite a bit, but have also experienced it with the vortex razor line. I've looked through more of those then any other spotter, and even owned one at time. There were razors that were just as good as my swaro 80 and then there were razors that were complete trash, and most were in the middle somewhere.

It's much easier to tell on camera lenses as you can compare photos and see that a lens is de-centered or what not.