SIG Kilo 2400 ABS review *Updated 3-26-18*

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Update:
So after emails with Nick over at Sig support it appears that the Kilo doesn't have the ability to account for or enter correction factor. They argue it's not a significant enough error in correction for the feature on the rangefinder. I found this a little unusual since Litz was the one who really promoted correction factors to begin with. Maybe that was just a Sig executive decision!!

I've found that I'm unable to "calibrate" my gun profile and enter actual drop data from the calibration menu. Nick is currently trying to resolve this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update. I've been really busy and haven't had time to post an answer.

So I discovered with the assistance of Nick the Sig tech that the dashes must be deleted in the "calibration" page prior to entering the "range" and "drop" data.

73da5e3ce4de24bf1fc60c731d3041aa.jpg

d5e04948d59488e2229ebafa1a6bcffc.jpg

Make sure to delete the dashes before entering the data!!! DOH!

Here some result of using the Sig 2400 today. Took it out to verify my load.

3f5d4301c5aa1bb950c5335bdf931ce0.jpg

Well I finally got to give the Kilo 2400 a really good test run at our local Kick-off LRPS competition shoot in southwest Montana yesterday. Targets ranged from 130-1075 yards with winds maxing out around 10mph.

I used the 2400 on every stage of the match and compared it directly to Shooter App that's calibrated for my load. I had previously "calibrated" the 2400 using the calibration feature in the Sig app several days before the match. It corrected my velocity to 2771fps from 2755 as my chrono read.

The 2400 consistently gave me different dope data vs the Shooter App. I wouldn't say it was largely different data but on average about .3-.5moa.

I did not miss a single target by elevation when the proper range and dope was applied. (I had two targets whereas I dialed the wrong dope by mistake and missed by elevation)
My only misses of the day were poor wind calls and a couple of unstable shooting platforms that caused misses.

Overall I'm very stoked with the 2400. It performs flawlessly. I used the weather flow meter once the wind picked up over 6mph and scored first and second round hits at target ranging from 700-1075 yards. It was dead on!!

c6ea629e567f1d34900a6e64df9dedb1.jpg

choovhntr

WKR
Has anyone tried to use the weather flow meter with an IPhone 7? Just curious if it works with the headphone jack adapter now that the new phone no longer has a separate port.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried to use the weather flow meter with an IPhone 7? Just curious if it works with the headphone jack adapter now that the new phone no longer has a separate port.
I haven't tried that. I'm running a Samsung phone.

dotman

WKR

It should with the adapter, just let it hang. I have pretty much the same weather meter and will test it out.

Finally got to try out my kilo 2400 yesterday! The unit is very impressive and I am very happy with it, quick and very user friendly!

I've had my 2400 for maybe a month now... first time I used it I was early may in Hells Canyon on a quick overnight backpack trip. On the trip out with the wind blowing 10-15 mph I decided to stretch it out. My 280 Ackley shooting 140 VLD's at 3108 was the test platform.

I won't go too in depth as others on here have already done that and more, but I'm very impressed. I'd say that this unit is the first tool I've used where it felt like cheating. I had a consistent hits on MOA sized targets at 700, 1140, and once I figured the wind out at 1320, all at relatively steep shooting angles. Literally just range, dial and shoot. Previously anything over 700 yards I'm taking the time to run a new shooting solution based on station conditions at that moment in time. Not so with this.... I leave the wind setting at 10MPH left to right and adjust my hold from there based on what the wind is actually doing. Doping the wind cross canyon and across varying terrain has still got to come from experience and knowing your system, but aside from that this unit is very very handy.

Mike

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback Mike. I would like to note that when talking to Broz about the wind settings last week he mentioned that it can change your elevation correction if you don't have the wind right. He explained that the Kilo 2400 takes into consideration the aerodynamic jump caused by side winds. I haven't had a chance to mess with the wind inputs to see how they affect the elevation correction outputs but it's something I'll be testing as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I would like to note that when talking to Broz about the wind settings last week he mentioned that it can change your elevation correction if you don't have the wind right. He explained that the Kilo 2400 takes into consideration the aerodynamic jump caused by side winds. I haven't had a chance to mess with the wind inputs to see how they affect the elevation correction outputs but it's something I'll be testing as soon as I get a chance.

I've tested the wind inputs thoroughly and found them to be very accurate. I have a love/hate relationship with the wind meter pairing with the Kilo. It's super handy buy my complaint is that you have to hold the cell phone/ wind meter in one hand and the rangefinder in the other and operate both. You can run the wind meter and then send the output to the Kilo by syncing but it's just seems tedious especially if your in a hurry for a shot on a game animal. I find myself using my kestrel and just manually entering it in the Kilo. It seems faster anyway. The one thing that does bother me is the Kilo doesn't make any adjustments for head or tail wind. I'm not sure why this is. I know for a fact that a 15 mph tail wind makes my bullet jump about 9" at 1000 yards. I've tested this multiple times. Theoretically a head wind should slow the bullet and cause a low impact so why doesn't the Kilo calculate this???

The 2400 is supposed to be a 25-30% improvement on ranging distance over the 2000. Would those that have used them both be able to confirm this? I wish they would have made a model without the AB solver. I already have a Kestrel elite, don't won't to buy it twice.

The 2400 is supposed to be a 25-30% improvement on ranging distance over the 2000. Would those that have used them both be able to confirm this? I wish they would have made a model without the AB solver. I already have a Kestrel elite, don't won't to buy it twice.

Well I can't say with confidence that it's that much better. My Kilo 2000 worked great and I had no problems ranging animals out to 1,900 yards. The 2400 performs just as well imo. I don't find that it works any better.