SIG Kilo 2400 ABS review *Updated 3-26-18*

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe how fast the Bluetooth connection works with my phone. After using Bluetooth in a few different vehicles to play music I expected this to have long connection lag and was worried it would be a major pain in the butt. Well, so far I was dead wrong..... this thing connects really, really fast. More to come...

SIG Kilo 2400 ABS review

Can you take it out in the really cold (like 0 degrees and below) and see how it works? My kilo 2000 did not work in those conditions.

I've used my 2000 in temps reaching -20 with no problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had any problems syncing your profiles from the app the the device? I've seen a few reviewers who had this problem. Keep us updated!!

Was it in your pocket or close to your body, or externally stored like in an AGC?

I just keep it in a FHF gear pouch that connects to my bino harness. It's close to my body but not inside my clothing. I wouldn't say it was outside for a prolonged period of time in that cold temperature. That particular day I was out doing some load development and checking temp stability of some of my 6.5 Creedmoor loads. I was outside at the range for a total of about one hour maybe. I have used it however in hunting conditions for prolonged periods of time at or around 0° and I've never had any issues with my rangefinder.

WRO

WKR
I just keep it in a FHF gear pouch that connects to my bino harness. It's close to my body but not inside my clothing. I wouldn't say it was outside for a prolonged period of time in that cold temperature. That particular day I was out doing some load development and checking temp stability of some of my 6.5 Creedmoor loads. I was outside at the range for a total of about one hour maybe. I have used it however in hunting conditions for prolonged periods of time at or around 0° and I've never had any issues with my rangefinder.

I left mine in my truck overnight in -5 temps and then took it out, wouldn't range past 500 yards. From what I've heard its a known issue.

Couple questions Justin... Does this do angle compensation at shorter archery type ranges like 30-60 yards? Also how does the windage work when NOT using your phone and supplyed wind meter. Do you set wind on the unit and the direction? If so is this something that can be done on the fly quickly.

Example would be 1000 yard shot. 10 mph wind at 3 O'Clock. Spin drift is roughly .5 moa. Wind pushes roughly 4 moa so hold would be 3.5 moa.

Can a guy put in 10 mph at 3 o'clock into the range finder and get a windage readout accounting for spindrift and other factors?

If wind is at 0 does it still spit out a windage correction for spindrift?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Couple questions Justin... Does this do angle compensation at shorter archery type ranges like 30-60 yards? Also how does the windage work when NOT using your phone and supplyed wind meter. Do you set wind on the unit and the direction? If so is this something that can be done on the fly quickly.

Example would be 1000 yard shot. 10 mph wind at 3 O'Clock. Spin drift is roughly .5 moa. Wind pushes roughly 4 moa so hold would be 3.5 moa.

Can a guy put in 10 mph at 3 o'clock into the range finder and get a windage readout accounting for spindrift and other factors?

Thanks in advance

I'm on the road right now but I'll get answers to those questions as soon as I can.

I can say it does angle comp down to 5 yds

I left mine in my truck overnight in -5 temps and then took it out, wouldn't range past 500 yards. From what I've heard its a known issue.

Dang that sucks. It's -20 out right now. I'm going to go put mine in the truck outside and see what it does.

Dang that sucks. It's -20 out right now. I'm going to go put mine in the truck outside and see what it does.

So I left mine 2000 in the truck last night and just pulled it out. It was -6 according to my weather station and low for last night was -25. I was able to Range a building at 968 yards. That's the farthest building I can Range from my house. I was unable to Range some trees in the back ground. See pics. Sorry I couldn't take a pic of the building i ranged through the rangefinder as it was just to damn cold!
f3e6992f4e74f6abde9cca36cecfa55c.jpg
c2bac4fc19cb576e4f3135df00494fe8.jpg
188e4f09a48bb93a03b72fb43f0b7d21.jpg

Thanks in advance

So I watched Broz's review video and it looks like the wind can be entered into the range finder itself fairly easy after a little practice. Sounds like spindrift and such are accounted for each time regardless of how much wind is entered in.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The weather has been terrible in western WA the last few days so I didn't get out and do as much testing as I wanted. I did do some shooting at my dad's range yesterday though which gave me a chance to test the weather readings as compared to my Kestrel 4000.

When using the HUD display on a phone, the Kilo2400 shows Temp, Pressure, and Density Altitude as you can see below. When I compared these readings to my Kestrel they were all very close.

ceb4fe25711cb63ce01f86a9626b6daf.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few photos through the Kilo2400 to show the different display options. (note that the display is brighter to the eye compared to how it shows up in photos.

Simple display.
1e831fcd874d1c3ac0e6b83c044f33ee.jpg

Horizontal reticle in mils.
0823ba61f4e2381ed1408e1b92c110e0.jpg

Horizontal and vertical reticle in mils.
1d797a90d73553da6ddee326a9799208.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing I found interesting is the range of the Bluetooth connection. With the rangefinder on my tripod, I was easily able to trigger it and get a range while standing 30' away with my phone.

The weather has been terrible in western WA the last few days so I didn't get out and do as much testing as I wanted. I did do some shooting at my dad's range yesterday though which gave me a chance to test the weather readings as compared to my Kestrel 4000.

When using the HUD display on a phone, the Kilo2400 shows Temp, Pressure, and Density Altitude as you can see below. When I compared these readings to my Kestrel they were all very close.

ceb4fe25711cb63ce01f86a9626b6daf.jpg

So does the rangefinder give you the correction in mils/moa in the range finder display or do you have to rely on the phone/app for the correction?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
So does the rangefinder give you the correction in mils/moa in the range finder display or do you have to rely on the phone/app for the correction?

Good question. The rangefinder works totally independent of the smartphone in the field.

First you press the RANGE button on top to wake up the unit. A second press of the button gives you a range reading which displays for about 2 second, then your vertical correction is displayed in either MOA or Mils, and finally your windage adjustment is displayed. The Kilo continues to cycle through those three readings until you press the button again or it shuts off. The Kilo sleep timer is user adjustable from 15-180 seconds with the phone app.

Here are the three displays you will see after you range a target.

Range
e5dd17426cbfe2706a3f8268dc1c0220.jpg

Elevation correction
3702224b15f934a219a4549190e12119.jpg

Windage correction
27815392bb0c2dc32c83e36b26246c9a.jpg

Good question. The rangefinder works totally independent of the smartphone in the field.

First you press the RANGE button on top to wake up the unit. A second press of the button gives you a range reading which displays for about 2 second, then your vertical correction is displayed in either MOA or Mils, and finally your windage adjustment is displayed. The Kilo continues to cycle through those three readings until you press the button again or it shuts off. The Kilo sleep timer is user adjustable from 15-180 seconds with the phone app.

Here are the three displays you will see after you range a target.

Range
e5dd17426cbfe2706a3f8268dc1c0220.jpg

Elevation correction
3702224b15f934a219a4549190e12119.jpg

Windage correction
27815392bb0c2dc32c83e36b26246c9a.jpg

Thank you!!