SIG Kilo 2400 ABS review *Updated 3-26-18*

So interestingly last week I had difficulty ranging a Muley doe that was walking across a meadow. It was snowing pretty hard and I guesstimated she was about 450 yards. I could clearly see her but for the life of me the 2400 wouldn't give me a range on her. It kept giving me ranges between 30-60 yards. I'm guessing it was bouncing of the snow flakes but I have no idea. That was the first time I've used it in a heavy snow. The flakes were pretty big. It was one of those situations where it was a steep uphill shot and I could totally see a big buck trying to give me the slip in a spot like that. I was actually archery hunting for elk but wanted to Range her for practice. It worked fine the next couple times i ranges without the snow. I think it might be time to change the battery tho since I haven't changed it since owning it and I've used it ALOT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My final review is up guys. I felt this thread covered quite a few of the details and didn't want to bore you doubling up on too many so I tried not to make the review to "wordy". If there is something that I didn't cover in this thread or the review please ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

Sig Sauer Kilo 2400 ABS Rangefinder Review

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Justin, this is an excellent review and appreciate the update. Great to see long term use/results.

Couple questions....you mentioned comparison the Kestrel 4000 in the test, but have you (or have you heard of anyone) run a comparison with the Elite 5700. My guess is that they are really close, both use the custom drag curves. (Does the app you use "Flight Path" have the custom drag curves?) The difference, it seems to me, between the two systems manual entry wind inputs on the Sig or range inputs/Direction of Fire on the 5700. The Sig probably still wins on speed as the direction of fire doesn't need to be calibrated. In hunting situations were you using the wind meter hooked to phone to make the wind call? Or did you use a method within the device to more quickly determine wind and adjust. Specifically, the longer range shots you made on those excellent shots on the Antelope hunt

Does the app for the sig have similar features as the Kestrel app. For example, do you know if the phone app with the Kestrel allows the temp table and the ballistic calibration?

Lots of discussion on the functionality in the cold, but did you notice the environmental settings change if the device was left in the direct sun, i.e left on the tripod for a long time. If so, can you hold the environmental settings on the Sig, and/or or can you reset them with the "Kestrel twirl"?

Finally, maybe I missed this in the review, but how are the gun profiles managed and how do you switch between the app and device. Is it all just loaded on the app and the transferred via Bluetooth to device. It is my understanding that Firmware updates are automatic on the Sig, but when an update happens does the gun/bullet profiles the have to be resent to the device.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any issues getting their rifle profiles to sync up to the device? I just have two profiles and when I attempt to sync, it sits there and attempts to sync for so long it finally times out. I have it connected, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure it out and haven't read of anyone having this issue.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, this is an excellent review and appreciate the update. Great to see long term use/results.

Couple questions....you mentioned comparison the Kestrel 4000 in the test, but have you (or have you heard of anyone) run a comparison with the Elite 5700. My guess is that they are really close, both use the custom drag curves. (Does the app you use "Flight Path" have the custom drag curves?) The difference, it seems to me, between the two systems manual entry wind inputs on the Sig or range inputs/Direction of Fire on the 5700. The Sig probably still wins on speed as the direction of fire doesn't need to be calibrated. In hunting situations were you using the wind meter hooked to phone to make the wind call? Or did you use a method within the device to more quickly determine wind and adjust. Specifically, the longer range shots you made on those excellent shots on the Antelope hunt

I haven't used the 5700 myself but I know Ryan Avery has and I believe he has been getting very similar results between the two. When I'm hunting I don't typically carry the wind meter so I just enter it into the Kilo using the mode button. It doesn't take long at all now that I'm familiar with it.

Does the app for the sig have similar features as the Kestrel app. For example, do you know if the phone app with the Kestrel allows the temp table and the ballistic calibration?

I haven't used the Kestrel app but there is a spot in the Sig app that allows temp calibration.

Lots of discussion on the functionality in the cold, but did you notice the environmental settings change if the device was left in the direct sun, i.e left on the tripod for a long time. If so, can you hold the environmental settings on the Sig, and/or or can you reset them with the "Kestrel twirl"?

That is a good question. I never had any issue with this (probably because it's always in my bino harness) but I'll try it out next time I get a chance.

Finally, maybe I missed this in the review, but how are the gun profiles managed and how do you switch between the app and device. Is it all just loaded on the app and the transferred via Bluetooth to device. It is my understanding that Firmware updates are automatic on the Sig, but when an update happens does the gun/bullet profiles the have to be resent to the device.

Changing profiles within the rangefinder is done through the menu. Changing details to a profile or switching profiles that are loaded into the rangefinder is accomplished with the app and then transferred via Bluetooth. I'm not sure on the firmware update but I assume it would be through the phone app/Bluetooth as well.

Anyone have any issues getting their rifle profiles to sync up to the device? I just have two profiles and when I attempt to sync, it sits there and attempts to sync for so long it finally times out. I have it connected, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure it out and haven't read of anyone having this issue.

I haven't personally had that issue. For the best fix I think you will want to contact Sig support which has been great for the people I know who have used it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Elkoholic30

When all inputs are the same the 5700 and Sig are usually within .05 of each other. The Sig app is not great for manipulating inputs. That's where the 5700 shines. It has several features that really help dial in your dope.

slim9300

WKR
My post from another thread I just made, figured it would be seen better here. And for the record, my rifle matches the dope from my AB app on my iPhone (hence why I have worked to get my Sig Kilo 2400 to match that as closely as possible).

This is just kind of a FYI thread after dealing with Sig CS (not helpful) and troubleshooting the device. I have had my Kilo 2400 for about 8 months and the first time I set it up, it matched my AB app nearly perfectly when tested in the field.

Two weeks back I started comparing my AB app dope and my info from the rangefinder while measuring BP, temp and humidity. I had a problem. They didn’t match and they weren’t very close.

I attached my bullet info via images of both the Sig app and AB apps. Both profiles use the custom BC for my 210 Nosler ABLR bullet. In AB’s iPhone app I have my 100 yard zero 0.5” high. In the Sig Kilo 2400 app, per Sig this has to be a negative number to match. For the longest time they were both matching with the Sig at -0.5” zero height.

Today I went back and forth making a small tweak to zero height until I finally got AB and the Sig app to be nearly a perfect match. What’s odd is that it took a zero height of -1.2”.

Considering it’s damn near perfect now I doubt I’m going to change anything, but does anyone have the same experience? I have read about people having a significant variances from their Kestrel devices and AB software (likely due to temp and BP differences).
91ad95d56f5fcad0ac226858bbc90df6.jpg
1c2241c109ba82f8fbd46808c85a78f2.jpg
3a0de4b573a7598a92e68c30773f62b2.jpg

At the following BP (29.51), temp (59.0) and humidity (66%) this is what I got.

Range 523 yards - AB app: 6.6 MOA - Sig Kilo w/ -1.2” zero height: 6.61 - Sig Kilo w/ -0.9 zero height: 6.89

Range 682 yards - AB app: 10.5 MOA - Sig Kilo: 10.63 - Sig Kilo w/ -0.9 zero height: 10.95

Range 814 yards - AB app: 14.4 MOA - Sig Kilo: 14.43 - Sig Kilo w/ -0.9” zero height: 14.68

Range 1050 yards - AB app: 22.3 MOA - Sig Kilo: 22.28

Range 1390 yards - AB app: 37.0 MOA - Sig Kilo: 37.02

When connected to your phone you can change the timeout setting to 180 seconds via the app. That’s what I’ve done and haven’t had an issue.

Mike

My post from another thread I just made, figured it would be seen better here. And for the record, my rifle matches the dope from my AB app on my iPhone (hence why I have worked to get my Sig Kilo 2400 to match that as closely as possible).

You’re not the first person I’ve talked to that has had to manipulate their profile inputs on the Kilo. I’ve used mine for a few 280’s and 2 Win mags and now my 338. It’s matched up perfect for the 280’s and 300’s, but I’m having issues with it not matching up to the 270 ELD-X’s out of the 338.

Two weekends ago it was a full 1/2 MIL off on elevation at 1490 for the 338. But was perfect for the 280AI at that same target.

I really wish it would let you run different scenarios in the app to directly compare with other ballistic calculators.

Mike

slim9300

WKR
You’re not the first person I’ve talked to that has had to manipulate their profile inputs on the Kilo. I’ve used mine for a few 280’s and 2 Win mags and now my 338. It’s matched up perfect for the 280’s and 300’s, but I’m having issues with it not matching up to the 270 ELD-X’s out of the 338.

Two weekends ago it was a full 1/2 MIL off on elevation at 1490 for the 338. But was perfect for the 280AI at that same target.

I really wish it would let you run different scenarios in the app to directly compare with other ballistic calculators.

Mike

EXACTLY! Why the hell is that not possible!? It forces you to go into the field and take manual yardages and notes, when it could easily be done at home. Also, if the device has the ability to measure BP, angle and temp, why can’t they be displayed so that they can be compared?

The Kilo 2400 really can’t be beat for hunting in my opinion if you do your due diligence, but I’m hoping when they update the device we will be able to update our current units software versus having to buy the next reiteration.

EXACTLY! Why the hell is that not possible!? It forces you to go into the field and take manual yardages and notes, when it could easily be done at home. Also, if the device has the ability to measure BP, angle and temp, why can’t they be displayed so that they can be compared?

The Kilo 2400 really can’t be beat for hunting in my opinion if you do your due diligence, but I’m hoping when they update the device we will be able to update our current units software versus having to buy the next reiteration.

Agreed! I have heard they have some much needed updates coming down the line, no other details than that.

I’ve been screen shooting my HUD on my phone when shooting. It does show environmentals.
a32ebb16a2b6675a7c4591992ea40d0a.jpg

slim9300

WKR
Agreed! I have heard they have some much needed updates coming down the line, no other details than that.

I’ve been screen shooting my HUD on my phone when shooting. It does show environmentals.
a32ebb16a2b6675a7c4591992ea40d0a.jpg

Ah! I guess I meant like my Leica 1600 where it shows environmentals on the rangefinder as an option.

Need to use the HUD more often and get some more practice with it. The battery life is pretty terrible so I have only used it once. I almost prefer the idea of a stand-alone wind meter.

Last edited:
It should with the adapter, just let it hang. I have pretty much the same weather meter and will test it out.

Did you happen to try this out, or has anyone used the windmeter with an iphone 7 or newer?

Thanks-

I am trying to find out between the sig and the Lica which one can be changed on elevation easier. Does it have to be connected to the phone or does a kestrel have elevation built in? I am ranging between 3000 to 10000 feet where I am hunting and want it to change accordingly as fast as possible. If pared with the phone will it automatically adjust or what has to happen?

I am trying to find out between the sig and the Lica which one can be changed on elevation easier. Does it have to be connected to the phone or does a kestrel have elevation built in? I am ranging between 3000 to 10000 feet where I am hunting and want it to change accordingly as fast as possible. If pared with the phone will it automatically adjust or what has to happen?
The Kilo2400ABS runs on absolute pressure and automatically adjusts for environmental conditions in the shooting solution. I believe the Leica does as well, at least my old one did.

I used my ballistic Calc and with my gun at a thousand yards with the same pressures temp and humidity it changed it 50’ with 8000 feet of elevation. That’s why I am wondering. The backcountry of Idaho varies that much

I used my ballistic Calc and with my gun at a thousand yards with the same pressures temp and humidity it changed it 50’ with 8000 feet of elevation. That’s why I am wondering. The backcountry of Idaho varies that much
Run absolute pressure and elevation is irrelevant. I take the Kilo2400ABS from 4k to 9500 feet regularly and it's just spot on. The only thing I manually change is temperature if I have left the device sitting in the sun and it thinks it's warmer than it is.

Will the wind meter for this work with a newer iPhone with a headphone to lightening adapter?