Bino Selection - Victory SF vs Swarovski SLC HD?

Hi all,

First post/new here. Have looked through the first 40 pages or so of the optics subforum and have narrowed down my choices to the Zeiss Victory SF and Swarovski SLC HD. I unfortunately have not been able to track down either model locally, but did spend some time today looking through the EL 8.5x42, Ultravid HD 8x42, and Monarch 7 (thought the Leicas/ELs were comparable and really didn't like the Monarchs).

Would appreciate your thoughts on the two models I'm considering (or whether I should just get the Cabelas/Euro HDs and use the difference on other gear) as well as on 8x32/42 vs. 10x42. I'll primarily be using these in Southern/Central California with occasional trips to Arizona/Colorado.

AGPank

WKR
You can pick up the Victory SF for $1600-$1700 for the gray model still new. Right in line with the SLC HD. That 10x42 has one of the widest FOV available. At hundreds below the initial retail that would be very tempting.

If you can't find a store that has them both, find a retailer with a good return policy.

If price is a driver I've had the SLC HD 1st gen and really liked them.

LandYacht

WKR
The SF and the Els are more comparable as they have the field flattener lenses whereas the Victory HT and the SLC are more comparable as they don't. May want to add the HT to your list if the ELs didn't make the cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Bayside where the El's the model with swarovision? if so what didn't you like about them?

Yep, they were the version with swarovision - nothing negative to say about them but to some of other points that have been mentioned both the SF and SLC (as well as the Leica I tried) can be found for $800 or so less and I didn't see $800 of difference between the EL and Leica. Wouldn't be opposed to the Leica either but haven't heard much about their warranty/long term service. Thanks for the thoughts/perspectives so far - based on my expected usage/geography what are your thoughts on 8x vs 10x? I didn't notice overly pronounced shaking trying out the 10 but that that was in a temp controlled camera store..

handwerk

WKR
I've always used 10x outwest (EL SV's) but this year I traded into a the EL SV's in 8.5x42 and was surprised how little diffreence in detail at saw at great distances and the 8.5 was steadier for me as well as an even more friendly view, the nicest bino I've ever used. I still have the 10x, just may move that to tripod use. The other thing I'd say is I way prefer the open the open bridge design in way of ergos and with a little looking you can find new/demo EL's for less than $2000.

OP
B
Sort of (?) made a decision...picked up an EL 8.5 and a victory sf today. Will probably keep just one but you never know!