Tripod Suggestions

I have an 85mm Razor on the way and want to get some recommendations on tripods. I'd like something that isn't going to break the bank, but is functional and will handle the weigh of the spotter well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of tripods will handle an 85. It depends what you want to do with it. Are you just carrying in the truck or 4 wheeler? Steady but heavy tripods are a dime a dozen and are plenty functional. If you plan on putting it on your back and going a few miles then look at the suggestions above. I'd also throw the manfrotto 290xtra carbon into the mix. I have it and it's a great all around tripod. 3 piece legs so it's a little bulky but going to be more stable than those with 4 piece legs when extended.

tater

WKR
The only thing to consider with the 624 is overall height (if you stand to glass and are taller than 5'8").
It will handle the weight with no problem at all.

Benjblt

WKR
This Vortex tripod seems to be the perfect balance of cost, weight, and functionality. I bought it on sale for $100. It comes with the tripod head. I could see how someone may not like the twist locks on the legs but so far they haven't bothered me.

Vortex Optics - Summit SS-P Tripod

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider
i tried the vortex ss-p, returned it after my first trip. it was too shaky for me.
I picked up a mefoto backpacker and broke the first one on my first trip... but the store I bought it from would only replace it instead of return it because their return policy is 2 weeks... so I got a second one to give it another try, so far so good. I really like the ball head that comes on it and the pan is very smooth. I removed the bottom two sections of legs to bring it to 2 lbs even ( now its only a kneel and sit height tripod ). so far I like the mefoto a lot, I hope this one doesn't break. the mefoto is only 140 bucks or so. with a 5 year warranty

This Vortex tripod seems to be the perfect balance of cost, weight, and functionality. I bought it on sale for $100. It comes with the tripod head. I could see how someone may not like the twist locks on the legs but so far they haven't bothered me.

Vortex Optics - Summit SS-P Tripod

I also have one of these tripods and I even shoot my AR and .270 off of it with a homemade rifle saddle.

OP
Elkoholic87
I actually just bought the Vortex Pro GT brand new for $100. I was thinking about the Summit, but read the 85mm was too heavy for it. The Pro GT is a little on the heavy side, but I'll take heavy and stable any day.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a slik 624 and love it. The height isn't a concern for me as I do most of my glassing sitting. I'm 5'9" and I feel like I could use it standing with an angled spotter. Definitely not with a straight though.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I would look for a used gitzo on craigslist/kijiji. I found one for like half the price of a new one, and by the time you factor in shipping/taxes etc, it was almost the same price. Plus the quality of them is phenomenal.

Clarktar

WKR
I would look for a used gitzo on craigslist/kijiji. I found one for like half the price of a new one, and by the time you factor in shipping/taxes etc, it was almost the same price. Plus the quality of them is phenomenal.
Yep, same here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Another vote for the promaster XC525C. I'm 5'10" and with an angled spotting scope, I don't need to raise the center post at all. Mine is absolutely rock solid with my 82mm Vanguard Endeavor HD.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Huh no one here likes the outdoorsman I found mine to be extremely stable and tough. I have the medium with an extender pole. I really like it it works great!

Huh no one here likes the outdoorsman I found mine to be extremely stable and tough. I have the medium with an extender pole. I really like it it works great!
I'm sure the outdoorsman is a great tripod. The price for the amount of return is what made me pick the promaster. The outdoorsman is $70 more without a head.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk