Leupold Warranty Results

frankrb3

WKR
I just recently sent in my Leupold Cascades to be repaired because the diopter adjustment knob broke and stopped working. I just called Leupold today (28 days later) to see what the status was on the repair since I hadn't heard back from anyone. Well the guy I just got off the phone with said they couldn't be repaired and they are replacing them with the new Tioga HD 10x42.

Leupold Optics BX-2 Tioga HD 10x42mm - | Leupold Optics

I know nothing about this new binocular other than they look like they retail for about the same amount of money I spent on my cascades almost 10 years ago. Also, these new ones are "HD" whereas my cascades were not. Lastly, they are on back order but as soon as they get in stock they will be sending them out to me.

Does anyone know anything about these new binoculars and how they perform? Thanks.

N2TRKYS

WKR
The Cascades are green ring, so they replace instead of repair them. Why didn't they replace them with Cascades?

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
I didn't know they just replaced the green ring products instead of trying to repair them. Not sure why I'm not just getting new cascades, maybe they're done with those. Are the tiogas better?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I didn't know they just replaced the green ring products instead of trying to repair them. Not sure why I'm not just getting new cascades, maybe they're done with those. Are the tiogas better?

Honestly, I don't have any experience with those. I bet that if you don't like them, Leupold might let you swap them. Good luck and let us know what you think of them.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Same thing happened to me. Moisture ended up getting inside one of the lens in my ~10 year old Cascades so I sent them back and checked off the "replace without contact" box. I sent them in mid-January and just got back a BX-2 Tioga HD pair the other day. Unfortunately, I am not impressed with them at all. I liked my old ones much better even though they weren't high end themselves. The price is similar to what I originally paid, but these definitely seem like a lower model. I had already bought a pair of Vortex Razor HD in the meantime so I wasn't too disappointed; these BX-2 will just turn into my beater-uppers that I leave in the truck.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
That sucks, and what I was worried about. I'm hoping to upgrade my 10x binos this year anyways but I had grown to like my cascades even though they were low end. The tiogas look stupid to me and was hoping they performed better than the cascades since they are being marketed as HD glad. What seems lower quality on the tiogas? The performance, build quality, or something else? Thanks for your response. I'm still waiting on the tiogas to show up so I'm still wondering.

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind I'm not an optics expert... A little bit of everything I would say. The focus wheel is touchy (i.e., moves freely) and it seems you need to turn it more when focusing from one distance to another. The focus itself just doesn't seem crisp at all, it feels like the diopter adjustment is off no matter how much I play with it, and it seems fuzzier around the edges of the glass than the Cascades. The only thing I semi-like is the rubber coating on the outside since it feels pretty durable. Even the case seems a little too tight for it (they're 10x42). Overall I would say that these are low end while the Cascades were low-medium end back in the day.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I'll post on here once I get mine to see if I have the same feelings about the tiogas.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Do you know if the tiogas bridge is threaded for a binocular stud under the center cap on the front of the binocular?

lumis17

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, the center cap screws off.

BTW, I should mention that I appreciate Leupold for warrantying the binos in the first place. I wouldn't have been surprised, or really disappointed, if they said I was out of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
I would have to agree with you. I appreciate the way they their warranty is taking care of the situation. I'll always buy leupold scopes, but their binoculars have always been lacking in my opinion. Cascades were great while they lasted, but I'm looking to step up to the next level, even after these Tiogas show up.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
So.... I've been waiting about 3 months for Leupold to send me the Tioga HDs (been out of stock) to replace my cascades. I called on Monday and they still didn't have them. I told them I needed something before this weekend (spring bear opener in Montana). They agreed that I have waited long enough and sent me a new pair of Leupold BX-3 Mojaves (Older Non-Pro Guide HD Models). They should be here today but I just wanted to know from guys who have the Mojaves how they like them. I have no experience with the Mojaves but they should be an upgrade to my old cascades. Thanks everyone.

gwl79902

WKR
I just sent in a pair of older golden rings and they are replacing them with cascades. What a total rip off. My golden rings were good glass and now I am being sent a pair of cheap glass bino I can not even sell for much to go with Vortex I am pissed off!!!!!!

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
I just sent in a pair of older golden rings and they are replacing them with cascades. What a total rip off. My golden rings were good glass and now I am being sent a pair of cheap glass bino I can not even sell for much to go with Vortex I am pissed off!!!!!!

Not to add to your frustration but I would not be happy with that outcome. They ended up sending me the Mojaves (Non-HD version) as a replacement to my cascades. To be honest I thought the cascades were better. If I didn't have a pair of zeiss HTs almost paid off from a layaway deal then I'd be sending them back for cascades. In your case I feel like they should have at least sent you the HD mojaves as an attempt to make it right since they chose not to repair your golden rings. Call them up and tell them you're not happy.

i have 2 sets of gold rings and picked up the Mojave HD-S few months back and they spank them in the glass department.the HD Mojaves are half the price i paid for the Gold Rings of years ago. improvements in glass are always in motion.ive never looked through a set of Cacades but if the glass is equivilant or better to the Gold Rings you sent in then maybe that was there thinking.the few times ive sent things back for paralax adjustments or check ups on used purchased scopes i always found there warranty to be top notch and then some.i would call back and ask for a set of Mojaves or pay the difference to get the Mojave HD-S if they dont bend. those binos are worth the upgrade.then youd probably not need the Vortex.

gwl79902

WKR
I sent in a fairly nice letter last week telling them why I felt that I should have a set of oajave hds to replace my golden rings. I will see what they say. I have had 2 set of cascades for work and they are not as good as my old golden rings and the price difference is an issue. We will see

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
I sent in a fairly nice letter last week telling them why I felt that I should have a set of oajave hds to replace my golden rings. I will see what they say. I have had 2 set of cascades for work and they are not as good as my old golden rings and the price difference is an issue. We will see

I'd like to know how they respond once you hear back from them.

gwl79902

WKR
Was out of town for a few days and figured I would hear when I got home. But no not yet I will call them in the morning

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
I sent in a pair of 10x Olympic they sent me some tiogas. They let me bump up from 10 to 12x at no cost.
This was the 3rd time I had to use the warranty all for eye cup issues.

Thanks,
Boswell

gwl79902

WKR
I just got off the phone with them and was told if I wanted to mojaves that I would need to pay 350 to 400 dollars and the cascades were the replacement binos for mine. I will sell the cascades and put the money into something else. I have realy liked there stuff and have used it for 30 years but now they have lost me as a customer for life. I do not believe my binos are the same quality as the cascades. Mine were the older poor prism style and they said that the cascades are much better than what I had. I have had two sets of cascades for work and just do not beleive that is true.