Backpacking Spotting Scope

WKR
"Lightweight Compact" Spotting Scope

I am looking at buying a spotting scope for the upcoming hunting season. I currently have good binoculars, 8x30 Maven B3's and 8x42 Maven B1's. I'd like to have a spotter for backpack hunts and am considering the Kowa 553/4 option mostly due to it's lightweight and compact design.

A lightweight spotter, 15 to 45x magnification, 55 mm objective, only 28 OZ! The weight of a standard 80 mm comparison spotter (Maven S1) is 64 oz, more than 2 lbs heavier... These compact spotters seem to make a lot of sense for the backpack hunter but this is coming from a person with very little experience with a spotter.

I know I'll lose some low light performance due to a smaller objective lens, and will lose a little max magnification 45x vs 50-60x. FOV will also be smaller...

For those of you with more experience, is there a reason that there aren't many "lightweight" spotters? Do you give up too much in perfomance as a tradeoff for the major weight savings?

Last edited:
I like Leupold products and really lean towards their made in American Gold Ring products. The 15-30x50mm compact Gold Ring they have is very nice. That is going to be my next purchase! Other folks I'm sure will chime in with their likes, but I like the LEUPOLD.

sneaky

"DADDY"
45x on the small spotter will be rarely useable. If they put the fluorite glass in that spotter then it'll walk all over ANY compact spotter on the market. About 30-35x is about the limit for reasonable use on the small spotters. Mule deer hunting it's almost worth it to pack a big spotter. Especially if you will be spending a lot of time behind glass.

The new Kowa 55 is supposed to have flourite crystal glass. Assuming it is on par (aside from objective size) with the bigger Kowa spotters, it will walk over every other compact on the market. There's definitely a compromise at first and last light with smaller objectives but for 2 lbs I'll take it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Kowa 66 is less than 3 lbs and gives you a good image up to 60x. I'd look to drop a pound elsewhere rather than be lacking in optics

I had the leupold 15-30x50 GR compact. It was awesome for light weight but the magnification is lacking. Hard to distinguish tines past 400yds. Like hatchet jack said, save weight somewhere else.

The new Kowa 55 is supposed to have flourite crystal glass. Assuming it is on par (aside from objective size) with the bigger Kowa spotters, it will walk over every other compact on the market. There's definitely a compromise at first and last light with smaller objectives but for 2 lbs I'll take it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When they say fluorite glass do they mean like on the 88? Or the xd glass that is found in the 66 and 77, which are still damn good and bear the prominar name but not fluorite. Just curious

huntinrod

Lil-Rokslider
Buy once cry once. Get the nikon ed 50 or the vortex. You wint be disappointed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Leupold GR Compact 15-30x-50mm. It's extremely light and it's not bad out to 20x ish in decent light conditions. I never use a spotter so I'll be selling if anyone is interested!

OP

WKR
Based on optical reputation alone, I can imagine the Kowa will outperform Nikon, Vortex, and Leupold. And realistically, it should as it will also likely cost more.

Looks like it's about a pound more weight to get to the next level of objective lens sizes (65mm), and another pound to get to the 80mm.

Not exactly sure how or how much I'd use a spotter as I've never had one... My hunting style is still in development and unfortunately involves far too much wandering around right now.

kad11

WKR
I have really enjoyed using my 50 mm Razor for elk hunting. It is very useful before and after the rut when I'm spending the first 2-3 hours of daylight glassing feeding areas looking for bulls. I was able to distinguish a 6x6 from a 7x7 at 1.5 miles this past season about an hour after sunrise. Before that I could tell the 7x7 was a really nice bull, but I couldn't get a crystal clear picture of his antlers to count points.

I would want a larger objective spotter if I was spending all day behind the glass, but the 50 mm works perfectly for me for identifying good bulls at moderate distances (1-2 miles) for a few hours in the morning.

ckr117

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth I have the Razor HD 11-33x50 and I like it. It's extremely light and packable. Now it works for me because I'm not trying to distinguish every point from one vantage point. I glass, and I can get a general idea of size, and if it looks like he's going to be a shooter, I'll pack up and start working my way closer for a better look. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's done a good job for what I need.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Compact spotters are good for what they are. Of those I've used the Razor 50 is the best. The eyepiece is better than the Nikon ED50. I saw a preproduction Kowa 55 (yes flourite crystal) at SHOT, but the design wasn't finalized. I hope it lives up to the reputation of its bigger brothers.

I only carry the Razor 50 when I don't plan on glassing much, but I have found myself glad to have it with me on many occasions.

mcseal2

WKR
I have an ED50 and like it for elk hunting when I don't plan to put a ton of time in on the glass. Elk have larger heavier antlers that are easier to distinguish and where I hunt I'm often glassing less distance. I mainly use the spotter to make sure they aren't broke up and get an idea of tine length, mass, and width. Muley or antelope hunting I like a bigger scope for more detail. I'm currently using a Swaro STM65 and happy with it.

Ran a leupold gold ring 25x50 for years. Last month I picked up a leica televid 62 apo with the 16-48 eyepiece. This is the angled version. ALL I can say is wow. IF there is a better alternative for backpacking at the price point of the used leica I want to see it.

FlyGuy

WKR
I was planning on buying that new Kowa too, until it came out that the one with Fluorite glass was going to retail for $2000. Once I heard that I opted for the small vortex which everyone seems to love for backcountry elk. Picked one up used here on Rockslide in perfect condition for just under $500. Really looking forward to using on a scouting trip in a few months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1signguy

WKR
For what it's worth I have the Razor HD 11-33x50 and I like it. It's extremely light and packable. Now it works for me because I'm not trying to distinguish every point from one vantage point. I glass, and I can get a general idea of size, and if it looks like he's going to be a shooter, I'll pack up and start working my way closer for a better look. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's done a good job for what I need.

I did the above and was happy. For the price I think the Vortex is a very good deal. I am onto Swaro's now and have a brand new ATX 65 which will be my back pack unit- That is until the BTX arrives later this month. :) If I was looking for a mid-priced unit the Vortex would be on my list.

chasewild

WKR
Used a Burris Landmark and I was like "I can get by on this!"

Then started hunting up high and realized quickly I needed better glass.

So I bought a Leupold Gold Ring that people kept telling me "all of the sheep outfitters love these things because they are compact and light."

Took it out to start scouting sheep in 2015. Immediately disappointed. Spent all season cussing the thing. Sold it within 8 months. Clarity, zoom, low light....all of it was disappointing.

Said screw it and got serious. Found a Swaro ATS 65 on here and I can honestly say, it has single handedly turned July into glassing season rather than biking season.