Good Riflescope under $400?

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in need of a scope for the 300 wsm I just picked up (Winchester XPR). Does anyone know if there are any good optics out there in the 3-9 magnification under $400. I don't need adjustable turrets, but would like a reticle with multiple dots below the main crosshair (not sure of the correct term.) If not I will save pennies for the Vortex Razor 3-15X42 HD LH, but that is really stretching the budget. I don't rifle hunt very much and have always used my trusty .270 with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9X42. Its ok but I can tell its lacking during low light situations.

Thanks.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 with the LR duplex reticle

You may be able to shop around to find a vx-3, but I have a vx-3 and that vx-2, and I'm really impressed with that scope.

OP
H

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Excellent stuff guys. Thank you so much! That Leupold VX2 with CDS looks like the ticket.

Nikon makes the best budget glass IMO. I will always look there first. I would also take a look at the cheaper Leupold and Vortex options as on sale they might get down near your budget. It also depends on what features you want (turret vs non-turret, bdc vs fine reticle, 9x vs 20x, etc...). You are getting Nikon's mid range scopes for that budget while you are getting the budget lines for Leupold and Vortex. I have a few Nikon Pro Staff scopes that would be well under your budget and they work great for a generic hunting scope and would be plenty for most people.

^^ yup - I have had 3-4 prostaffs, all worked great as an aiming device. Note: that was not dialing every shot, but glass clarity and holding zero.

The Viper is about on par with the monarch, which is also pretty good glass.

twall13

WKR
I have to agree that Nikon is a good value in this price range. Monarch or even a Buckmaster is solid for that price. I personally prefer my Nikon Buckmaster over my Vortex Viper scope...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk