Swarovski BTX - Dual eyes

1signguy

WKR
Put my deposit down this AM for the BTX- there were ten fellas in front of me at Outdoorsmans. Mid-May is what they told me to expect.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, that is interesting, as i turn the OS off on my camera gear when I am taking photos on a tripod.

You are probably not taking photos at the extremely long effective focal lengths viewing through a high power spotting scope where the tiniest vibrations appear to be amplified.

I have seen the Nikon VR scope and it is impressive in action. Especially when just using it resting on a bag and not on a tripod.

You are probably not taking photos at the extremely long effective focal lengths viewing through a high power spotting scope where the tiniest vibrations appear to be amplified.

I have seen the Nikon VR scope and it is impressive in action. Especially when just using it resting on a bag and not on a tripod.

Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Even if I sell my STM65, ATS 80 HD, and 15x56 SLC HD Swaros I couldn't buy the ATX system with this eyepiece, plus the 65 and 95mm objectives. Outdoorsmans has that price at $5777 total. Might stick with what I have, they work. I could sure see using both eyes on a spotter being great though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ok, so everyone says not to use a doubler on Binos because they suck and aren't very practical, and now these same people are going nuts over this setup with an "extender". Which is it? I can't see a huge plus to this system, it isn't going to really up the light gathering unless you use the big lens, and you're looking at close to $4k for this eyepiece and the 65 lens. Guess I'm looking at twin barrels on 56's being 112mm combined, and this being 95mm ran into a single eyepiece. Not sure it's worth it to ME.

Broomd

WKR
Bitchin'....
Obviously not for the high country pack, but for us that live in wild places and can view wildlife right off the deck this will be awesome.
I'll have one some day...but it will be awhile. lol....

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, so everyone says not to use a doubler on Binos because they suck and aren't very practical, and now these same people are going nuts over this setup with an "extender". Which is it?

A doubler for binos is an ad-on after the image is projected to the eyepiece while the extender is really just a teleconverter placed into the system before the eyepiece. In the camera world a teleconverter can preserve much of the optical quality of the lens while doubler/magnifier lens designs struggle. Many professional photographers use high quality teleconverters with supertelephoto lenses to extend their reach.

I haven't found a doubler system that I thought did a great job, but I am optimistic this will work much better. Time will tell.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes, time will tell. What will it do for FOV? That's where the twin setups will have the advantage. The eyepiece will be more comfortable it looks like for extended viewing but it's still a significant weight penalty for the fixed magnification. 50oz...no thanks.

Broomd

WKR
Disappointed that this BTX is fixed and not variable..
I've extolled the virtues of fixed eyepieces here, I love 'em, but part of their merit is the weight savings.

I won't bite on this setup for the money they want if it lacks a zoom feature. I have a really lazy right eye anyway.

I'm not a 15x56HD-type guy, but I think I'd be using the doublers on that before I'd bite on this new BTX setup. At some point costs get out of hand.

WRO

WKR
Doublers suck. I've used the kowas. They're sweet, I'd guess youd be at too many moving parts to do variable magnification well. Hopefully I'll be able to use both side by side guiding this year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Birders only have one piece of equipment to worry about. They tend to know more about optics than 99.9% of hunters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

They are also psycho's about it as well, in a good way of course.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Birders only have one piece of equipment to worry about. They tend to know more about optics than 99.9% of hunters

This seems to get parroted a lot. I don't really know if it is true. Anectdotally, I have had more in-depth optics conversations with hunters than with birders. I have run into quite a few at the refuge in my area, and they seem to pretty much follow online reviews or friends' recommendations. I think both disciplines probably have a good mix of optics nuts.

Further, I think hunters push their optics towards the limits (cold weather, rugged backcountry, low light conditions, etc.) much more frequently than birders, so their priorities don't always match up with ours.

They are also psycho's about it as well, in a good way of course.

There was a small article in the local paper this week about a birding club outing in a couple weeks. I have zero interest in birding but was thinking of going just in hopes of getting to take a peek through some top shelf glass. :cool: