Swarovski BTX - Dual eyes

1signguy

WKR
I have mine and I am not about to sell it. :)

I have a brand new (purchased last year) 15x56 SLC that is going get dusty... My biggest decision is do I carry an 8x30 or 10x42 with the BTX. I am thinking the 8x30 may be the ticket.

As a side note- the BTX with the 1.7 doubler is almost not fair for the game- its that good! It really is a comfortable and enjoyable experience looking for game with the BTX. It will save untold miles of hiking! I would have said the 15x56 SLC's were my best hunting investment until I purchased the BTX which is 10x what the SLC's are.

mcseal2

WKR
My uneducated opinion as I've never looked through either yet, is that the 12x50 EL binos and BTX set-up with whatever size objective a person chooses would be darn hard to beat for a 2 optic set-up. Have a good tripod and head to use either of those on and I think I'd be set.

I have an ATS 80mm HD spotter, a STM 65mm spotter, 15x56 SLC's, and Leica Geovid HD-B binos. I really like all of them and each has their place. If I just had the 12x50 EL's and the BTX set-up I think I'd be just as happy for all my uses and never have to decide what to pack, just take them everywhere. I'd probably want the 65mm and 95mm objectives for the BTX though, one for the Midwest and one for when it's riding on my back further.

I'd really miss having the rangefinder in my binos though, I love that. Not having to take the extra step of digging out a rangefinder is awful nice when the deer is leaving the country like last year's muley. Maybe I'll keep thinking about selling the SLC 15x and both spotters then saving up for the BTX with both eyepieces. I'd still have to come up with quite a bit of extra money though until they hit the used market. Tough decision.

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Anymore info on the BTX would be great. I have a BTX65 coming sometime this week!!!

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the BTX and the Kowas. The BTX definately has its uses, quicker to set up, easy on the eyes, and effective for long distance glassing. That said, the image performance of the Kowas is better. For still glassing from a long distance I would take the Kowas. For moving around glassing from a number of spots at great distance, the Swaro is the way to go IMHO.

fingers

FNG
Would anyone care to weigh in on the BTX vs the 15x56's? I know the magnification of the BTX makes them not really comparable but what I'm wondering is the 30x magnification worth giving up the field of view? In general terms it seems the BTX would double my magnification but halve my field of view. I think it might be worth it but haven't had a chance to get behind a BTX yet. Is the image from the BTX typical awesome swarovski? I love sitting behind my swaro 10's and 15's. Does the BTX seem compromised at all since it's a one objective? I'd likely get the small 65mm objective since it's most packable. And I can borrow a 95mm when needed. I was glassing a bedded coues deer with the 15's and could barely make out the deer. I had an ATX 95 on hand and at 35x I could see the deers eyes and nose. It's incredible. But the smaller field of view is annoying. If I made the switch I'd sell my 15's and go with 10's and the BTX 65mm.

I love my 15's but the 50% power increase over my 10's is not that great sometimes. I've set them next to each other and viewed the same animal at distance and with the 15's sure, the image is 50% bigger but often that doesn't really seem to matter. The BTX at 30x would be a 200% increase in magnification.

Billinsd

WKR
This is off Swarovski's website. Btx 35x95. Exit pupil dia 2.7mm, fov @ 1,000 yds is 96', wt is 97 oz; Btx 30x65 exit pupil is 2.2mm, fov is 112', wt is 77oz; 15x56wb, exit pupil is 3.7mm, fov is 234', weight is 42oz.

fingers

FNG
Thanks, yes. i've been staring at the specs. Approximately half the field of view.
This is off Swarovski's website. Btx 35x95. Exit pupil dia 2.7mm, fov @ 1,000 yds is 96', wt is 97 oz; Btx 30x65 exit pupil is 2.2mm, fov is 112', wt is 77oz; 15x56wb, exit pupil is 3.7mm, fov is 234', weight is 42oz.

Billinsd

WKR
I'm not an expert, but according to the math, the 15x56s have double the fov at 1,000 yards, the exit pupil dia of 2.7mm versus 3.7 is 37% more with 15x56s. For my uses I like the 15x56s for spotting game and then a Kowa 554 at 28 oz for a total wt of 70 oz for that combo versus 77 oz for 30x65mm BTX. Cost of 15x56 and 554 is , $2,500 + $1,700 = $4,200 versus about $2,700 + $1,000 = $3,700 for btx 30x65 at the outdoorsman. The 85mm and 95mm are about $1,000 more than 65mm.

fingers

FNG
Billinsd- good points, thanks. I mainly only consider it if I can sell my 15's. For the BTX cost I could by a rifle, scope, new tires for my truck etc.. it's amazing what the best glass costs. But I've been on the Swarovski bandwagon since about 1995 and I love the quality. I value a spotting scope for when you have to see antlers. There is no substitute with 15's compared to a spotter when it comes to really looking at detail. But I've never been willing to spend money on a spotter since I usually can borrow one.

I'm not an expert, but according to the math, the 15x56s have double the fov at 1,000 yards, the exit pupil dia of 2.7mm versus 3.7 is 37% more with 15x56s. For my uses I like the 15x56s for spotting game and then a Kowa 554 at 28 oz for a total wt of 70 oz for that combo versus 77 oz for 30x65mm BTX. Cost of 15x56 and 554 is , $2,500 + $1,700 = $4,200 versus about $2,700 + $1,000 = $3,700 for btx 30x65 at the outdoorsman. The 85mm and 95mm are about $1,000 more than 65mm.

AZElk

FNG
I'm interested to see how people are going to be transporting it. That is one big eye piece to have on a spotter and I would be very careful if I was going to be carrying it in the pack.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm interested to see how people are going to be transporting it. That is one big eye piece to have on a spotter and I would be very careful if I was going to be carrying it in the pack.

you are right, it is huge, I am taking it on its maiden voyage Coues deer hunt and will report back. It does fit in a side pocket on Kifaru packs EG rambler, DT1, and Nomad with objective facing down(95mm) but there is a lot of weight up high. I think it will work if you turn the BTX into the pack and cinch it down. It also fits inside a pack but it requires more organization so you don't rip half of your contents out while fetching it. A friend of mine packed his on a mule deer hunt and tore it down each time. I don't think i will be doing that.

I will report back!

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
you are right, it is huge, I am taking it on its maiden voyage Coues deer hunt and will report back. It does fit in a side pocket on Kifaru packs EG rambler, DT1, and Nomad with objective facing down(95mm) but there is a lot of weight up high. I think it will work if you turn the BTX into the pack and cinch it down. It also fits inside a pack but it requires more organization so you don't rip half of your contents out while fetching it. A friend of mine packed his on a mule deer hunt and tore it down each time. I don't think i will be doing that.

I will report back!

Travis,
Did you report back and I missed it somewhere.
Thanks

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to revive this one and see what some of you guys have to say now that you've had the chance to run it for a season. Which objective lens were you running and how was the weight if you carried it into the backcountry?

dotman

WKR
The 550 series Kowa, 15’s and BTX 95 are all for completely separate glassing styles.

If I had the money I would add either the 95 Swaro or 88 Kowa with an extender for either to my collection.

Last edited by a moderator:

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone. I just purchased the 95mm objective modular and atx eye piece from swaro along with everything else needed for digiscoping and viewing. I would recommend Euro Optics. Sometimes they have demo pieces which still carry swaro warranty and they can usually do great pricing even on the new pieces. I don't work for them or get commission. I have just bought a lot of stuff from them and all of my experiences have been great. No problems and great customer service. They have an online chat with real people and you can call and talk to that same person who is not just a sales person but someone who knows about the products.

Kotaman

WKR

If it was me, it would be via a trailer. ;) No way I'm hauling around a 6 lb.+ spotter. Love the concept and if it would work decent off the window of my truck, I'd think about owning one, but not for back packing. Not for this old guy anyway...

TravKatQ

WKR

I will report back!

Travis, what’s your take on the BTX after some use with it?? Do you feel you miss a variable zoom eyepiece? Would love to hear your feedback with it after your hunts....
Thanks, Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk