Need Assistance on Tripod

Squirrels

WKR
I know as much about them as preforming brain surgery. Will be using for a pair of 10x42 binos (possibly DSLR on occasion, no big lenses). Looking for something as cost effective as possible while still being lightweight. I do realize you pay for ounce savings. But again I know nothing about what I am looking for and just need some suggestions/input. Would like to spend $200 at the high end but would like to be well under that.

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider
the mefoto backpacker is a good tripod, i broke my first one and it was replaced and so far so good on the replacement. good ball head, under 2 pounds if you remove the bottom two sections and turn it into a sitting/kneeling tripod. i think it costs about 130-140

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
also, to mount the bino to the tripod, imho the best, simplest and durable is the setup from outdoorsmans, cost you close to $100 but is absolutely worth it. once to use a tripod on binos you will be amazed, I sure was!

Tsnider

WKR
i was looking into tripods recently and read too much into them. i got the vortex summit ss for like 80 bucks are here and im very happy with it. i did spend another 100 bucks on a manfrotto befree fluid head though. either way the tripod is nice. maybe ill upgrade at some point in the next few years but its gonna serve me perfect until i convince myself i need a new one for some reason.

ckr117

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered this one:
Amazon.com : Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head : Camera & Photo

I read some good things about it here and for $50 you can't really go wrong. Worst case scenario, I don't like it and I use it just for camera use. I'm planning on swapping the head and that's it. It weighs 2.5 pounds and I believe it's rated to 13.5 so that's a pretty good ratio. It's supposed to be here tomorrow so I can give you an update when I have hands on it.

OP
Squirrels

Squirrels

WKR
Vanguard Espod CX 1 Tabletop Tripod - thoughts on this tripod and then buy a pan head for it. Would it extend tall enough to glass in seated or knelling position ?

I know you said $200 was your budget, but I just bought a Promaster XC525C off cameralandny a month ago. $250 for a demo unit, and they were out of demos so they sent me a new one. Comes with a very nice ball head. I have a fluid head that I prefer for my spotter, but the ball head works awesome with something light like my 10x42 binos.
Can't go wrong for that price and that package. That's what I would do. I use a Vortex Uni-daptor with my binos and while it isn't as nice as the outdoorsman, it works really well for 1/3 the price.

1signguy

WKR
I started with Vortex before heading down the rabbit hole- The Vortex tripod was very good for the price- much like their glass. What I would not be without ever again is a good pan head. You can take an average tripod (especially for 10x42's) add a good pan head and have a really nice unit...

The pan head can always go with you as you upgrade- and you will! :)

can you get a decent panhead for $100 or less?

I had a Manfortto 700 RC2 fluid head for a while. Nice but heavy and not really needed for binos or lightweight spotter use. Recently bought a Manfrotto BeeFree fluid head for $95 and it's much lighter and works great. The Benro S2 head for $75 also gets decent reviews and weighs about the same as the BeeFree (13 ounces).

I'm not kidding when I say the ball head that comes with the Promaster is really a nice head for bino use. Weighs something like 10 ounces. I didn't think I'd ever use it, but I can tell you that I'll carry that head with me if I will only be using my binos to scan. If I need to have my spotter, I'll use the Beefree head.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The Benro S2 weighs 18 oz. I picked up a Promaster XC525C from cameraland last May/June during one of their sales for $209 shipped. It now has an outdoorsman's pan head on it. Not a fan of ballheads unless you are taking photos. Like was said already, once you use a good pan head you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

The Benro S2 weighs 18 oz. I picked up a Promaster XC525C from cameraland last May/June during one of their sales for $209 shipped. It now has an outdoorsman's pan head on it. Not a fan of ballheads unless you are taking photos. Like was said already, once you use a good pan head you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Good catch! I looked up the specs and they list the S2 as 13.4 oz., but they neglect to mention the plate and arm weigh another 4.8 oz. Sneaky!
$209 shipped is a great deal! I thought I did well at $250!
I wasn't a fan of ball heads, but I did play with it a little and it seems perfectly fine for bino use, but I prefer fluid heads. I'm happy with the Beefree, but I'm sure the Outdoorsman is much better. Just couldn't justify the cost for my uses. I weighed the Beefree with the arm and plate and seem to recall it was right around 14 oz. I'd have to double check that though. My memory is vague on the exact weight.

Last edited: