Review: Outdoorsmans Pan Head, by Jordan Budd

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

You all asked for it, and Jordan is here to deliver the goods.

After multiple forum questions on this venerable tripod head by Outdoorsmans, Jordan arranged for a Rokslide review while at the 2017 Sheep Show.

She wasted no time putting the Pan Head under a few big Swaro's for some testing.

She's here with enough information to know what to expect if you decide to pick one up....

Review: Outdoorsmans Pan Head

[video=youtube_share;wtzlf62ZIcs]https://youtu.be/wtzlf62ZIcs[/video]

Last edited:

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Good assessment for what most consider the best when it comes to a backpacking head. After trying a few others and wasting money on others, I took the leap to this one and haven't regretted it. One question I have, even though not part of the review, is what tripod he used, because not all can handle a big 95+digiscoping setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good assessment for what most consider the best when it comes to a backpacking head. After trying a few others and wasting money on others, I took the leap to this one and haven't regretted it. One question I have, even though not part of the review, is what tripod he used, because not all can handle a big 95+digiscoping setup?

Slik 634 tripod. There was a huge difference between the outdoorsmans and Benro s2 head with the 95 on. Same legs.

--

Rokslide Staff

Sent via my iPhone Tapatalk

RyanC

WKR
I just ordered one today, looking forward to putting it to use. I am pairing it with the Promaster XC525C tripod. Should be a good combo, will post more about the combo as I use it. Thanks Jordan for the review.

Ryan

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Slik 634 tripod. There was a huge difference between the outdoorsmans and Benro s2 head with the 95 on. Same legs.

--

Rokslide Staff

I'm running the 95 with same head and very similar tripod in a Sirui T-1205x but I haven't tried digi-scoping with any bigger camera on it yet. Glad to hear it can take the weight as my Canon isn't the lightest in the world. Thanks!!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm running the 95 with same head and very similar tripod in a Sirui T-1205x but I haven't tried digi-scoping with any bigger camera on it yet. Glad to hear it can take the weight as my Canon isn't the lightest in the world. Thanks!!

I was digiscoping with a Sony A7sii, so little smaller and lighter than most canons. But I'm quite sure the head will be able to handle that. Let us know.

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for the write up. I bought that head and used it for the first time last year. I used it with my Promaster 525C tripod when I needed the height, and the Outdoorsmans compact medium tripod the rest of the time. I loved the head once I got used to it. I ran my binos on it, either my 10x Leicas or 15x Swaros quite a lot. I liked that I could have the handle facing forward and use it that way. I glassed quite a bit in cold and windy conditions wearing bulky Kuiu glassing mitts so the big adjustments and forward handle were nice. The downturned handle let me hold the adjustment lever and brace my hands against the tripod when I had the adjustments all very loose to scan large areas quickly. I did that often when first setting up, checking the best looking spots before settling in to grid out the whole area.

I ordered one of their micro heads also so I can have both tripods set up at the same time. I had one of their pistol grip heads but my 1.5yr old daughter got ahold of it and it's been missing since November, might never turn up. I think I like the pan models better anyway after experimenting with both. I'll compare the two when I get a chance to use them side by side in an new thread, maybe update it this fall after hunting with both.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan did you need any extra hardware to put the Outdoorsmans on the Slik tripod?

The only thing you may need is a thread reducer if you don't have one. 3/8 to 1/4.

Other than that it just screws right on like other heads.

--

Rokslide Staff

choovhntr

WKR
Just got mine and mounted it to my slik 634. Way better than the previous head I was running. My only problem is the mounting screw wanting to turn while panning with my meopta s2. Lessening the tension helps but then it's almost too loose. Tried thread tape on the mounting screw but did very little. Would loktite be overkill? Anyone have the same problem?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Jordan is guiding sheep hunters right now so might be next week before she can chime in. Did you call Outdoorsmans?
If you mean the 3/8 to 1/4 adapter is turning, I'd think Loctite be ok u less you plan on moving to Europe. My adapter has never been removed since I put it on 5 yrs ago.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Just got mine and mounted it to my slik 634. Way better than the previous head I was running. My only problem is the mounting screw wanting to turn while panning with my meopta s2. Lessening the tension helps but then it's almost too loose. Tried thread tape on the mounting screw but did very little. Would loktite be overkill? Anyone have the same problem?
I tighten the heck out of mine never have an issue on my Gitzo. I think you may need to loosen the "pan" lever a little more.

choovhntr

WKR
Thank you for the reply Robbie. No, the adapter isn't spinning, the whole head is spinning off the tripod screw when panning right to left. i could try putting a little more elbow grease into it when tightening it down, but am afraid of stripping the aluminum threads. I was hoping to get a little more resistance while panning before the head starts to unthread, but maybe i'm asking too much. That spotter is pretty heavy.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for the reply Robbie. No, the adapter isn't spinning, the whole head is spinning off the tripod screw when panning right to left. i could try putting a little more elbow grease into it when tightening it down, but am afraid of stripping the aluminum threads. I was hoping to get a little more resistance while panning before the head starts to unthread, but maybe i'm asking too much. That spotter is pretty heavy.

You'll have to loosen the pan screw more. So the right adjustment screw. The left is the tilt, right is the pan. It will always have a little tension on it even when loosened all the way, so as long as the head is fairly level, you'll be good to go. I usually tighten the pan screw as tight as I can, then tighten the head to the legs as tight as you can. That's a bad explanation, but I haven't had much trouble with mine coming unscrewed

dotman

WKR
I put blue lok tight on mine and tightens the crap out of it, I have the 624. Hasn't been an issue for me. A reducer shouldn't be needed on the slik tripods, mine has the 3/8 stud and the head is 3/8's. Also if the 1/4" threads are showing you can flip the stud over, the stud on my slik has a side with 1/4 threads and the other is 3/8's.

choovhntr

WKR
Thank you everyone for the replies. Seems the problem comes down to my lack of finesse haha. I guess I was just used to my old head where the only way it would pan somewhat smooth was if there was tension on it. dotman, thanks for the heads up about the stud. I'll try flipping it over when I get home from work. Jordan, I hope you had a good hunt.