Review: Outdoorsmans Pan Head, by Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you everyone for the replies. Seems the problem comes down to my lack of finesse haha. I guess I was just used to my old head where the only way it would pan somewhat smooth was if there was tension on it. dotman, thanks for the heads up about the stud. I'll try flipping it over when I get home from work. Jordan, I hope you had a good hunt.

Yes!

Let me know if you have any other questions on the head. I used it while in Mexico and it continues to impress me.

04f74c05b2fba5efd7243e92e1977d51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Great ram, congrats!

I did purchase the Outdoorsmans micro head and used it for several evenings glassing cattle at various ranges from my yard. I ended up returning it. The horizontal pan adjustment is just as smooth as the regular pan head, but the vertical adjustment isn't nearly as smooth. It's a friction and not a fluid adjustment. I decided pretty quick that the regular pan head is better for my use. I think there is only about 3.5oz difference and I'll pack the little extra weight to have the smoother, easier to operate head. I just sent the micro back and ordered another pan head. The tripod pocket on my pack will hold the tripod with the pan head attached directly to it, but using the quick attach makes it just a little to long to fit. I'm going to keep the one pan head on the Outdoorsmans compact medium tripod I pack most of the time. The second one I just ordered will go between the Promaster 525C with the quick attach and the Outdoorsmans window mount. It seems like if I'm not using the Promaster whoever I am hunting with is borrowing it so having 2 heads is necessary.