Cabelas Krotos Spotting scope

dotman

WKR
any suggestion on phone adaptor? was planning to get PhoneSkope. But might not be a good idea then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he received a dud, I haven’t had an issue but he’s talking about the universal setup, you can get a case specific to your phone and eyepiece adapter specific to your spotter.

I think he received a dud, I haven’t had an issue but he’s talking about the universal setup, you can get a case specific to your phone and eyepiece adapter specific to your spotter.

Yeah, could be. This is my first time trying anything from them so I was pretty disappointed. I found that the adapter didn’t work great on my binos so I will be better off just getting a specific mount for the spotter.

Jason t

FNG
Just bought one based on the comments here. For the price 340. Plus tax you can't beat it

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Mine arrived today. It has definitely been handled. There are some spots on the objective lens, and some accumulated dust and sand around the foot. It did not have any plastic wrapping at all. There did not appear to be any metal shavings (or anything else) inside. Tonight I have been looking at the construction and workmanship, and I think that it is well made. The eyecup is quality, the rubber armor has a good feel. It rotates on the base very smoothly. The sunshade is probably the most mediocre part of the scope, and it is adequate.

As far as the optics, I only got a quick look before the sun went down. I think it is a good deal at the price. I am not sure yet if I think it lives up to the hype, like I said, I only had a few minutes.

My last spotter was the razor 11-33x50. I need to line a comparison to the razor 65mm. My buddy sold his, so I am still working on that.

Mine (15-45 x 65 straight) weighed in at 3 pounds 3 ounces with the neoprene cover on it and the lens caps. Not an overly accurate scale, but close enough for me.

ahlgringo

WKR
Is angled or straight purely a preference thing or is one better than the other.

Pure preference, and what kind of tripod you have/want. Do a search on it and you will find all the pros/cons. But ultimately pure preference. I like a straight- simply for the ability FOR ME to acquire targets faster. But have buddies that prefer angled and seem to acquire area of interest just as quickly.

Wahooo03

FNG
Very pleased with my angled 15-45 for the price. Glass is clear, no metal shavings, smooth focus, and seems well-built.

Jimbob

WKR
My back ordered scope showed up yesterday. No updated email with a tracking number or anything to let me know it was coming. I'm just happy it arrived though.

Scope looks very nice so far.

Occasional lurker, first time poster here.

Looking for a spotting scope and was all set to buy the new Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65. But seeing the Krotos 20-60x80 on sale for roughly the same price has me rethinking that decision.

As I see it, advantages to the Vortex are that it's a new model, so replacements can be easily had; the Vortex warranty speaks for itself; I'm not limited to working through Cabela's should a need arise; and the Krotos is discontinued, so if something does go wrong, it can't be replaced.

Advantages to the Krotos are potentially better optics (hard to say since the Viper HD is brand new and can't do a side by side yet); more magnification at a lighter weight (listed weight is 70 oz for the Viper 65 versus 60 oz for the 86mm objective Krotos), so on paper at least, the Krotos is a more powerful tool in a lighter package.

Would like to know what the folks here think, particularly those with direct experience with the Krotos. Thanks!

dotman

WKR
Sounds like guys that compared the Krotos to the Vortex Razor preferred the Krotos, the Viper is a step below the Razor so easy choice here, go with the better optical quality of the Krotos.

dog

Lil-Rokslider
Is angled or straight purely a preference thing or is one better than the other.

The straight requires a taller tripod if you want to use it standing up which usually means heavier to get the same steadiness. Also, angled is easier to use if more than one person will be using the scope who are different heights. (the tall guy can bend over to the height usable for the short person)

Jason t

FNG
I love my 65mm krotos. But I have one question. Has anyone come up with a good solution to cover the objective lens? I think it's a tad "chinsy" . Butler creek flip up. Although I think the sunscreen would just twist on it... What is ev er anyone else doing?

Hey Jimbob, did you get a chance to compare the Krotos scope to the Swaro ATS yet? What are your thoughts on that match-up? I am thinking of picking up a Krotos for hauling around in a pack, if they compare favorably to the Swaro's, I am interested.

Jimbob

WKR
No comparison yet. I can watch skiers on the hill 7 miles away, watching them get off the lift and choose runs. Also able to read signs at a mile away, my 10 yr old son can read the smallest letters with ease. Also I have had the scope at the range and really enjoyed it. Nothing technical for a review but I am happy with it. The one dislike I have is the eye relief seems finicky to me, hard to get the sweet spot.

When I get to the side by side with the swaro I will post for sure.

No comparison yet. I can watch skiers on the hill 7 miles away, watching them get off the lift and choose runs. Also able to read signs at a mile away, my 10 yr old son can read the smallest letters with ease. Also I have had the scope at the range and really enjoyed it. Nothing technical for a review but I am happy with it. The one dislike I have is the eye relief seems finicky to me, hard to get the sweet spot.

When I get to the side by side with the swaro I will post for sure.

That’s awesome. I know in my short time owning it I have enjoyed it! I still can’t believe I got it for $200 lol.

Yeah, if I had seen it at those prices, I would have been all over it. It looks like the 65mm ones are only available on the secondary market at this point. I may have to take a look at the new Athlon Ares, they are priced around 600 from what I can find.

xugz0212

FNG
Yeah, if I had seen it at those prices, I would have been all over it. It looks like the 65mm ones are only available on the secondary market at this point. I may have to take a look at the new Athlon Ares, they are priced around 600 from what I can find.

i had athlon ares. its a nice little scope, very compact and good glass. but the overall build quality is a bit cheap to me (e.g. sunshade is not tight enough, eyepiece is loose from the house). i took it to range once and the nylon cover just torn. I finally returned it and got a leupold gr hd instead.