Cabelas Krotos Spotting scope

ptarmigan

FNG
Anybody had a chance to look through one? They're on sale right now and the 15x45 looks pretty nice. I'm not sure who makes them but I'd guess it's Vortex, maybe Meopta. Just looking at maybe buying a spotter as I've never had one. I don't rely on them as my kind of hunting they aren't mandatory, but I'd like to pick up something just to have.

mdfanatic

FNG
I wonder if it's not Meopta? Sure looks like it could be. Have you heard much about them?

OP
P

ptarmigan

FNG
That's the problem I'm having. I haven't been able to find out hardly anything about them. That doesn't inspire much confidence but Cabelas does have a good warranty and return policy. I was hoping someone would come out of the closet and admit to buying one, or at the very least looked through one.

OP
P

ptarmigan

FNG
$599 on sale for the 15x45x65mm seems like a good deal if it's decent glass. It's a bit heavy but pretty compact at 11.5". I need to check one out here locally and compare it to some others I guess. I just don't need to spend more on a spotter as I don't use one alot.

Yes I have my little brother owns the 15-45 for the price I feel it's a really good spotter. Very small and compact. I had a razor 50 and it blows it out of the water being about the same size. Glass is better than a vortex razor to my eyes and compares very well with the meopta meostar line glass

OP
P

ptarmigan

FNG
Yes I have my little brother owns the 15-45 for the price I feel it's a really good spotter. Very small and compact. I had a razor 50 and it blows it out of the water being about the same size. Glass is better than a vortex razor to my eyes and compares very well with the meopta meostar line glass

Thanks for the insight.

breabre

FNG
I purchased the 15-45 a little over a month ago. Have had it out for precision rifle matches and range shooting. The clarity is excellent. On par with other HD glass I have looked through. Could see paint chips fly off a steel target at over 1000 yards when the target lacked movement and hits were in question. Was as good as any other glass I own at similar magnification including a meo HD spotter with much larger glass. Size is great for packing. Just my .02.

I bought one today. I'll give it a good test tomorrow. My initial impressions are positive. It is not a Swaro, but I think it's better than the new and old razor hd. It's a hefty for it's size, but I think for $600 it's worth a shot. The biggest downside has nothing to do with the optic. The risk is in the Cabela's "guarantee." Hopefully I don't ever lose the receipt...

f8e1f91644cb45624b100588f0bd3921.jpg

bb995214acb154f3d8d827f054539dc9.jpg

Hand held non phone-skope pic. The bird was about 150yds away, but my phone missed the focus. I can't remember what power it was on.
9a135d585d4e4016020bcaa7a0d197f3.jpg

After I get some time with it, I'll share my thoughts again.

Is it heavier than listed weight of 48 oz? If not I wouldn't consider that heavy. A swaro ats with 25-50 eye peice weighs 48 oz and a new 65mm razor weighs 56 oz.

7stw

WKR
I bought one today. I'll give it a good test tomorrow. My initial impressions are positive. It is not a Swaro, but I think it's better than the new and old razor hd. It's a hefty for it's size, but I think for $600 it's worth a shot. The biggest downside has nothing to do with the optic. The risk is in the Cabela's "guarantee." Hopefully I don't ever lose the receipt...

f8e1f91644cb45624b100588f0bd3921.jpg

bb995214acb154f3d8d827f054539dc9.jpg

Hand held non phone-skope pic. The bird was about 150yds away, but my phone missed the focus. I can't remember what power it was on.
9a135d585d4e4016020bcaa7a0d197f3.jpg

After I get some time with it, I'll share my thoughts again.

Cabelas will take returns without the receipt. I had a pair of euro hd 10x50 binos that the right eye piece came loose. They exchanged them for the current model all I had to do was show my Id and I couldn't return anything for 60 days without a receipt but it was a painless experience.

The spotter looks like a nice midrange piece of glass. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
With the Razor being double the price I'm not sure how one can fairly compare the two. I looked through the Krotos and I was impressed with the clarity and especially the FOV.

Ronb

WKR
Last years model Razor can be picked up for $700 to $800 used. Opticsplanet has some straight 65's for $849. Plus they offer 10% off, often.

Last edited:
I was excited when I seen how compact it was, then I learned it weighs the same as much larger scopes. To me weight is more important than physical size. If they were optically equal, weigh equal, but Kratos was smaller then it would be a win but even the Cabelas employee assured me the glass is not up to par with a razor. I asked him who makes it and his reply was "they won't tell us" ? That's all I needed to hear.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Old thread I know. I have spent a lot of time with both of these optics. A Gen 2 Razor and a Krotos of comparable size. The Krotos is a Athlon Ares as stated above. The glass, which is excellent on both, does not compare. The Krotos is a better optic than the razor hands down. Not only to my eyes but other eyes as well. Currently the Krotos is on sale for $699 for the big boy and $350 for the smaller version. Price not considered, I would spend double on a Krotos than the price of a razor. That said I did just pick up another razor, but only for one reason. To bounce it around my truck glassing before I head to the hills with my Krotos. The vortex warranty is the only reason I bought the razor for a truck bouncer.